Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I will NEVER invest in a 7.25 fretboard again

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mr Peabody, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

Y'know? Vintage specs ain't for everybody.

You like what you like. You don't like what you don't like. Don't consider what "everyone else" likes or what you're supposed to like. Play what feels comfortable and natural to you. It all comes down to personal preference.

Love what you love. Don't waste your time on what you don't love.

Just my .02

2. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I have no issues with the 7.25 radius and actually for playing for me it’s less fatigue for the hands for extended gigs and bending isn’t a problem either so it’s just personal preference. I have a 9.5 neck as well I adapt as needed with no problem. So in the end it’s a personal preference.

Thin69 and Mr Peabody like this.

3. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2016
    The Deep South
    Absolutely :)

4. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    I never denied that he wasn't picky nor did I deny that he's created a reputation for being so. I know this wasn't your intention, but the statement "he made a career out of being picky" undermines his talent and years of work as an artist. His talent and years of work is what can be credited to as to how he made a career for himself. Being picky and eccentric is just part of his personality; although, given the career he's in, it definitely calls more attention to himself.

If being extremely finicky is all it takes to make it then A LOT of people, perhaps myself included, would have already made a name for ourselves.

5. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I like my1970 Stratocaster, because of the 7.25" radius. I will take iyour Strat off your hands, free of charge, because those Kramers and Ibby's with the >12" radius messed you up. You poor baby, bless your heart.

6. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2016
    The Deep South
    Don't worry... I was simply being facetious about tweed-case detention :) I in fact love this guitar, despite the occasional 'disagreements' that I have with it during jam sessions. (And the attention and care that it receives from me goes almost unparalleled amongst my other instruments.) I had a particularly difficult time with it yesterday which resulted in the 'emotional' sounding post. Truth be known, I was actually after a few responses so as to see what the general consensus was regarding 7.25/9.5 radii fretboards. Seems to be almost equally divided.

I do prefer my 9.5, but that's not to say that I don't play the s### out of my Vintage White '57... It's more that I seem to be able to consistently achieve better things with the slightly flatter fretboard. And being my first Fender, she's staying put with me forever!

7. davidwhitson

davidwhitson Strat-Talker

May 18, 2010
    Texas
    It's all about personal preference. We should not belittle someone else just because they don't like what we like. I can hand you the guitar that I love and have carefully set up to play the best for my personal taste and ability and you might hate it and vice versa.
    I was in a similar situation for years. I was given a 1980 "The Strat" that I tried to love for years but in the end I had to sell it because it wasn't right for me. I couldn't get along with the 7 1/4" radius, small frets, slick finished maple board and fat back profile. It didn't fit my hands and just never worked for me. It did not help when people would tell me I was the problem or it wasn't set up properly etc. It just didn't work for me.
    I like 9 1/2" or 12" much better.

Mr Peabody likes this.

8. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2016
    The Deep South
    Well put... :)

9. TorontoMapleStrat

TorontoMapleStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    I totally understand everyone having a preference and a radius that feels most comfortable to them but really, do that many people actually have a problem with their bends choking out? Comfort is one thing but It's really become a bit of a cliche to say that bending is difficult. I have no problem bending on a 7.25. I am certainly no Albert King. I am not doing 2 step bends all day long and most playing does not call for that. How often is this really an issue for most players.

If bends are really choking out that often I think it is more likely to be a setup issue or operator error. Most of the greats we all listen to played on 7.25 and a managed to bend a note just fine.

10. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2013
    UK
    I have an AV64 Tele with the 7.25" radius and vintage frets. I can do all the usual bends I can do with every other guitar without any ill effects like choking out and such, but, I actually find it easier to do those bends on my guitars with flatter radii and taller frets. That said, I find chording so much easier on my tele than many other guitars that I own. As a result any time I'm roped into doing some rhythm playing, it's the tele I pick up every time.

A friend of mine has a few different Fender guitars, all of which have the vintage features. He says he likes the way the guitars fight him when he plays them and thinks that the more modern specs are less fun to play as a result.

Subjectivity is clearly a huge part of this, and it's very difficult to preach about these things one way or the other and it's particularly fruitless to try to change someone's mind about it. Ultimately I know what I like in a guitar and try to make purchases based on my preferences.

To the OP I'd say don't try to force yourself to like the way your guitar feels and plays, because it's probably almost impossible to do that. Either live with it, change it (re-radius + re-fret) or sell it. I know some people are afraid to make changes to their guitars because they think they'll lose some value or something, but to me, my most valuable guitars are the ones I play the most. Of course it has nothing to do with monetary value.

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    This is exactly how I feel, a guitar that I don't like to play is worthless to me (no matter what it's monetary value is), and might as well be furniture.

Mandrax and fastback67 like this.

12. johntrem

johntrem Strat-Talker

Which lends credence to my own personal commandment "Thou shalt NOT rid thyself of ANY of thy guitars". I have guitars that are packed away in their cases and I haven't played in years but I'd never get rid of. I've only sold two in my lifetime and yes, I want them back. It's an obsession, I know. I'm very lucky that I've never had to sell any for financial reasons. The only thing I've given thought to, and kind of tickles me, is what my one guitar playing daughter is going to do with all these guitars (and amps) after I've croaked.

Mr Peabody likes this.

13. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Too much math. Just give me something skinny and I’ll figure it out.

Mr Peabody likes this.

14. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2016
    The Deep South
    Your friend says he '... likes the way the guitars fight him ...' This is in part, the reason I love my Vintage White '57 with its 7.25 fretboard :) My initial post was spontaneous vitriol born of a particularly frustrating jam session, which naturally included said guitar. I've had this tempestuous, ongoing love/hate thing with this instrument for eons now. Its aesthetics are profoundly captivating... its tone, when I gel with it, are beyond peer, and its abilities to frustrate, at the wrong times, are legion! And I would never part with it. :) I also own a '64 Custom Shop with a 9.5 radius and, whilst occasionally presenting difficulties (although these are primarily down to my inherent failings), it is nonetheless an easier thing to control. I've played Les Pauls & SGs, and whilst they're the very quintessence of instrumental purity, I find myself repeatedly drawn back to the raw-edged, almost 'animal-like' nature of the Strat. They're definitely not for children! (Particularly the vintage spec ones.)
    The other reason for my undying attachment to this particular guitar is that it was my first Fender (bought new 25 years ago), and as such, temperamental tendencies notwithstanding, shall remain by my side until the end...

Peace, Man...

Mandrax likes this.

15. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2016
    The Deep South
    We're rowing on the same side of the boat. I will never part with this gem of a thing! Its positives far outstrip any inconvenience brought about through its built-in recalcitrant nature and my inherent musical failings. :) But even beyond that, were I to never play it again, it would still remain an integral part of my family. Sentimental attachment far outweighs everything else here...

Blessings...

16. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2016
    The Deep South
    P.S. I envy you there... I'm still at the stage of forced coercion in terms of enticing my daughter into the realm of electric guitars... The repetitively ongoing string of excuses like 'fingers hurting, Daddy' or 'But I'm getting so sick of hearing your Blues albums...'

Vjerilood likes this.

17. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Sounds a lot like my 98 American Telecaster. I don’t know the radius though.

Mr Peabody likes this.

18. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    My friend Bruce Conte plays a PRS with a flat radius.

But - there's another answer, which I love love love

I should put these on my Rickenbacker 360 (1967) that I NEVER play because you can't bend a note to save your soul.

But all my other guitars have these on them - they play like air and bend like rubber bands

[​IMG]

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

19. bluesman1956

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I just don’t get the negative vibe about the 7.25 radius. My hands are average to small and I never had a problem playing or bending as long as it’s set up properly

20. bluesman1956

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Right on Brother!!