Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I wonder... What Will Wildwood Do?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by problem-child, Dec 8, 2018.

1. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    Okay a bit of back story. I'm on the hunt for a higher end Telecaster. I have been researching Wildwood thin skins. Well, that got me to thinking.

WW has a few AV Thin Skin offerings. Typical AV offerings but with modern radius and modern frets. It also seems that the pick ups offered are different from the AV line.

So here we go and this goes for Strats as well as Telecasters. What will Wildwood (and others) do now that the AV line is gone and and the AO line is in place? The AO line offers modern radius and modern frets. WW has several different "custom" AV models What do they do to save those sales in the future?

So do they Offer custom colors and pick up options? Do they start selling more vintage spec'ed instruments? It will be interesting to see what happens. It seems that the Thin Skin line is significant for Wildwood (less so for Fender perhaps) I can't see them just letting the hole sit empty.

So what are your predictions?

2. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    I see Wildwood continuing to offer the Thinskins - they can keep them different from the AOs by using different neck shapes, different pickups, and of course they have the different thinner finish. We may see more things like their current Thinskin '72 Tele - basing their models off of models no longer in the USA Fender lineup. But I don't see them going back to the true vintage specs.

3. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    Can someone explain what exactly wildwood does? Are they custom shop guitars that wildwood specs and then sells in their store?

4. problem-child

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    As I understand it, they Order a minimum number of Wildwood Spec guitars from Fender. They, Dave's, and few other do this. From what I've seen, the Thin Skins are based on the AVRI then AV series. Just wondering how that will evolve now that the AO has come to market with many of the same features

5. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

They will offer pre relic thin skin custom shop vintage spec guitars that will get worn quickly. We used to call that series the AVRI series, it had 52, 58 and 64 teles, and 54, 56, 59, and 65 strats. What is old is new again.
    R

6. problem-child

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    There is the rub, Custom Shop. The Thin Skins are just a variant of the AV series. Different pick ups, different colors and modern appointments. Without the Custom Shop tag I wonder what they can do to the AO series to create/fill a niche. I too would suspect a return to vintage appointments (neck/FB) different colors and different pick ups. Time will tell but with only 4 AO guitars as a starting point I'm betting that neck profile will get more attention and be used to set the various future "Wildwood Thin Skins" apart.

7. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Perhaps they will just discontinue the whole thin skin thing. I bet nobody will actually die if that happens.

8. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    What's the point of a thin skinned guitar. You call it a bastard and it breaks down in tears. That's not rock'n'roll...:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Pythonman and StillAlive&Well like this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Not me, I wondered myself too.

10. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Wildwood Guitars is a very nice guitar store .

https://wildwoodguitars.com/

11. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2012
    Colorado
    Wildwood is near my house. Amazing place. Very small but they must have national archives sized warehouses because they have nearly everything. Guys at the store are exceptional. They are one of the biggest Fender Custom Shop and Gibson Custom shop dealers in the country. I imagine they can get just about whatever they want. I've got a '62 Thin Skin Telecaster from them... great store.

Jamie_H likes this.
  12. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Fender did actually drop the Thin Skin program in 2013 - after the revised AV series came out in August 2012 (the 2012 ThinSkins were already out at that point). Wildwood got Fender to bring them back in 2016 (I think it was then, not 2015); from say 2009-2012 Wildwood and Dave's Guitar in Wisconsin went in together on the Thin Skins.