Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ibanez Gio

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by loniblaze, Apr 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. loniblaze

loniblaze Strat-Talk Member

Mar 11, 2018
    los angeles
    Just picked this up at a yard sale for $40. I plugged it in and I'm happy! What's the rep on these guitars? Also how do I fix all those cracks in the paint? Also, how can I find out which Gio it is?
    I guess I will add it to my line of future fixes. I gotta stop. It's getting out of control.

Attached Files:

2. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    For $40 you got a good deal. Most of them were sold as part of a starter kit with a small amp, chord chart etc.
    I have one too, I looked it up.. I think they call it GX 40.
    They are a decent guitar, hot pickups and a nice slim neck. A very light paulonia body....nearly as soft as balsa. Don't bang it around or it will show a lot of damage. The selector switch is pretty tinny and wore out...the Fender style semi-rotary won't fit, it uses "import style".

loniblaze, Lovnmesomestrat and marklk like this.

3. loniblaze

Mar 11, 2018
    los angeles
    Thank you! Love that pic in your signature!

4. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    Thanks so much, Loni, and welcome to Strat Talk.

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Yes, older Ibanez GRX40 with the Strat style tremolo....they were about $100-120 new....

Yours appears to be from the year 2000

6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Odd coincidence: my son played in a showcase thing last night. His guitar player usually plays a Led Paul studio but lately has been play a GIO that I got for 60 bucks and upgraded tuners and put hotter single coils in. The humbucker is stock. The guitar is covered in goofy stickers. My son told me to bring it along to the gig. I assumed they wanted it to look cool in a stand. To my surprise he played it for a couple of songs.

They are very usable and are great with mods.

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Leave'm

Nice Ibanez!!!!:thumb:

8. loniblaze

Mar 11, 2018
    los angeles
    How can you tell it's from 2000? I thought it was 2003.

What pickups did you put? These are already pretty hot. I think hotter than my squire mustang.

I probably should, but I like them looking pristine.

9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    the first 2 digits represent the year on most asian import stuff.....

loniblaze likes this.

10. Dadocaster

What pickups? All I know is they was in a box in the bottom of the closet... [​IMG]

11. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

They were designed out to be 'cheap starter guitars' but with some attention you can easily make them into good players.

For the chips, get a bottle of 'thin' and one of 'thick' CA adhesive at Hobby Lobby. Use gloves and wear glasses when using the thin as it splashes easier than you can believe and don't just lop off the end of the sealed tube, make a small hole with a pin. The thin wicks under the edges of the loose paint to stabilize against further flaking. Let that dry. Any cracked paint that hasn't fallen off yet you can get that into the cracks too. After dry, you can actually build up the paint and go through 'drop fill' (stewmac video on youtube) to smooth it all out or leave it 'relic'd' (except 800 grit will make it feel like satin). If you can find automotive touch-up paint to match you can disguise the damage if you want before you complete the filling process.

I'd leave the pickups and focus on replacing the pots, caps, switch, jack. As noted, you'll have to check the fit of a standard CRL/Oak-Grigsby blade switch (Squiers can be retrofitted if you bend the solder lugs out and put electrical tape in the bottom of the cavity to avoid shorting out, these may be possible too). Bourns pots, Switchcraft jack. Select which volume pot you use by noting the tone you want to have out of the guitar (if too bright now find a lower kohm volume pot, if too dark find a higher kohm volume pot to brighten it, use an ohm meter and you'll find a 500k marked pot will read within 20% variance of that target and still be 'in spec').

Look up the 'joe walsh gibsonuk setup' video(s) to get the pickups set right.

You might find a push/pull tone pot so you can wire either a series humbucker option for the neck pickups, an out of phase option for the neck pickups, or maybe split the bridge pickup into a single coil (will involve some pickup surgery). Non-solder option I sometimes use is lower the bridge pickup and raise it's screw studs as much as I can to get more of a Tele single coil tone with humbucker benefits.

If you practice good tuning habits, always 'tune up' your guitar where if you overshoot you drop back a half step or more before tuning up to pitch target again, you can continue to use the stock tuners. Maybe down the road you might like a feel change but you won't need them. Also, most 'tuning stability issues' are caused by a poorly cut nut and/or someone upsized string gages 'to get more tonzez' without adjusting the nut.

Now that you've saved your budget by not getting new pickups, you can spend on a full fret level -- a $100 there will make the guitar play like one ten times the price.

12. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Those are surprisingly good guitars.

I ran across that exact model (same color even) at a GC when looking for my daughters first guitar.

It outplayed all the Squiers and other used guitars that were in the budget.

I eventually purchased her a new Epiphone Les Paul Pro. But I think she wanted that one because she is the world's biggest Jimmy Page fan. :rolleyes:

She still keeps and plays both.

loniblaze likes this.

13. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Guys are paying more for scratches like that these days.

Great find, lots of fun!

loniblaze and West Coast Idea like this.

14. Dadocaster

I am considering getting another. :D 69 buck used at GC.

loniblaze likes this.

15. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Word of warning: I picked up a similarly-dinged Ibanez double-cut that I wanted to refinish. If yours is like mine, underneath the paint, there's a thick layer of some sort of stabilizer or base layer that NOTHING will touch. I tried all sorts of strippers and chemical agents with no luck. I tried heating and scraping with no luck. It took over a year (to be honest, it wasn't really a priority, and this project got bumped to the back burner), and I could NOT remove this base layer. Ultimately, I wound up buying a random orbital sander and some 40 grit sandpaper, donning my PPE, and going nuts. It looks decent, but there's not a lot that can be done with these lower-end Ibanez guitars.

loniblaze likes this.

16. loniblaze

Mar 11, 2018
    los angeles
    I love this post, partly because you are talking to me like i know what i am doing. but, i feel in a few months it'll all make sense. tell me more about this fret leveling to which you speak of.

17. loniblaze

Mar 11, 2018
    los angeles
    can you post a pic of yours? you are right tho, i was touching the chips, all kinds of different paint was falling off the cracks and something real solid is underneath there.

18. Dadocaster

One of the reasons I like the cheap offerings from Ibanez is that they usually still have good fretwork. How they can manage it at that price point I don't know, but I rarely find one that needs a leveling.

loniblaze and bgmacaw like this.

19. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Click on my words "it looks decent."

loniblaze likes this.