Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ibanez Ts808 vs BBE green screamer

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by MyCoalstrat, Mar 13, 2010.

1. MyCoalstrat

MyCoalstrat Strat-Talk Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Fremont CA
    I always wanted a TS808 but $179 I just cant afford it right now. And I come across with BBE Green screamer it is like a generic of 808 for the fraction of the price. So anyone have tried both of these and you guys think I should save up and get the 808 or save money and settle for BBE. If I choose Green screamer what am I gonna miss?

2. MyCoalstrat

Feb 12, 2010
    Fremont CA
    Bump!!! I guess nobody compared it yet???

3. boujsquier

boujsquier Strat-Talker

I have a TS9, and have tried both side byside and also a Visual Sound Route 808; the Route 808 is the best of the bunch IMHO ...

It has the bass boost switch to add a fuller sound, an excellent bypas buffer that converts the high impedance signal from the guitar to a low impedance signal.

When in bypass mode, there is no change to your guitar's tone; plus these guys are built to last with a die-cast body and a switch that's rated for 10 million switches compared to 3000-5000 that you'll get from even the best 3PDT switch.

Try the Route 808 out if you can ..you won't be disappointed !

The Green Screamer sounds as good as my TS9 when engaged, but sucks tone when in bypass mode when you have more than 3-4 pedals connected.

Hope that helps ! ;-)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. dacop

dacop Strat-Talker

Aug 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    All I can say wait, save the money and get the TS808. I picked one up yesterday and was blown away. I couldnt wait to get home today from work to play around with it more. It is expensive but worth it to me. Great boost right off the bat. And the best sounding OverDrive from a pedal I have ever played. Not thin and fizzy like others. Amazing pedal.

6. intoflatlines

intoflatlines Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2009
    Chicago
    If you can solder I'd recommend the Overdrive 2 pedal from Build Your Own Clone (BYOC). It's a clone of the TS808 with the addition of popular mods. Here's some of my favorite things about it:

- true bypass (no tone suckage)
    - 3 way EQ switch (fat/full/stock)
    - 3 way clipping switch (comes stock as silicone diode/lift/LED)
    - separate clean boost circuit and footswitch
    - internal trimpots for fine tuning min/max gain and volume
    - socketed opamp so you can experiment with different ones
    - comes with enclosure, knobs, wires, etc.. pretty much all you need besides soldering iron and solder

You can also order a MOSFET conversion kit that replaces components in some parts of the different circuits for a more tube-like tone. I built mine with full MOSFET conversion and I love it. Best TS808 type pedal in the world, in my opinion. It's much better than the TS808 since you can set all the controls to stock and get the same circuit as the original TS808, but then in a couple seconds you can really tweak it to sound however you like..

overdrive2

$95 (OD2 kit) + $8 (MOSFET) = $103 + shipping.

If all these mods were preassembled by a boutique maker I'd probably expect to pay more than 3x that cost..

7. jmiller475

jmiller475 Strat-O-Master

Feb 3, 2009
    Indiana
  8. intoflatlines

Apr 11, 2009
    Chicago
    I didn't know Jack Black made pedals! ;)

9. jmiller475

Feb 3, 2009
    Indiana

He does sound like him, doesn't he?

10. intoflatlines

Apr 11, 2009
    Chicago
  11. jmiller475

Feb 3, 2009
    Indiana
  12. tjk3052

tjk3052 Strat-Talker

Dec 3, 2009
    MN
    The difference between a TS-9 and a TS-808 is 2 resistors and the 4558 chip. That's a cost difference of less than $0.50 that they charge $80 for. If you can solder I would definitely build the BYOC or GGG kit. If not, buy a used TS-9 and send it to get modded it to -808 spec (or better). There are a lot of cheaper clones too, the Bad Monkey is supposed to be a decent one.

13. panyd

panyd Guest

first time, I know TS808 so expensive. in my ideas, it same as pro rat

14. MyCoalstrat

Feb 12, 2010
    Fremont CA
    After a couple of guitar shop visiting and test some overdrive I am going for the Bad monkey compare to BBE Green screamer it is way cheaper and got a better tone.

15. platypibri

platypibri Senior Stratmaster

Jun 30, 2009
    Riverside, CA
    I borrowed a Green Screamer for a couple gigs. While I didn't have an 808 right there to compare it to, I do play around with a lot of these pseudo-screamers. It obviously lacks the features of some of the others like two band EQ, voice switching and such. I would say it's a bit brighter than an 808, but I felt it got the job done competently and was well within the range of authenticity. I'm not one to question someone's personal experience, but it IS a true bypass pedal, so YMMV. I don't think you'd regret the purchase, but at least consider a few options. You can spend quite a bit less and get a TS-7 Tone Lok Tube Screamer (more of a TS-9 sound than an 808 ). You can spend a little less, get a Bad Monkey and have 2 band eq (though not true bypass). You can spend a bit more more and get a Route 808 with a Bass Boost, or a Digitech Tube Overdrive (also more of a TS-9 than an 808 ) with 2 band eq and modern/vintage voicing switch. Or you can save up 150 bux and get a Double Trouble, which essentially gives you two Route 808s side by side. I feel all of these options give you more for less than a real Ibanez TS808.

I don't know who in the world is buying those hand wired 808s, but they crazy!

16. intoflatlines

Apr 11, 2009
    Chicago
    Yeah, retail at $350! At least I can say I have a meticulously (personally) hand wired true bypass TS808 clone with all the popular (Keeley, etc.) mods added on for like $105.. :D

17. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    after owning original tube screamers...
    original RAT pedals...
    boss DS-1....
    mxr distortion +.......
    butler tube driver.....
    mesa tube driver.....
    big muff pi....
    univox fuzz....
    fulltone fulldrive II......
    line 6 dm4......
    POD XT.........
    bad monkey.....
    mxr microamp...
    fuzz face....

after demo'ing:
    xotic RC booster....
    jacques overtube...
    keely java boost.....
    maxon sd-9.......
    tech 21 gt2.....
    Visual Sound jeckyl/hyde.....
    duncan twin tube....

i found THIS did the job, the best of them all.

[​IMG]

18. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    and.....

running it at 18volt, ah yes.

19. jbear

jbear Strat-Talker

Feb 8, 2010
    Marietta, GA
    I've had both...and my current preference is a Green Screamer with a Maxon SD-9. There are subtle differences with many of these pedals, and some play nicer with certain amps. Seeing as I like a little more midrange...I find the BBE suits what I play (short of being able to use an overdriven Dumble or Suhr OD). I have not used the Zendrive or Barber Small Fry (I've heard some great stuff out of those), but since I've found what I'm looking for...I'll save the $200+/-. There are sooooo many pedals out there. I find that if I spend enough time experimenting with any given one, I can get something I really like out of it.

20. tomstrat1968

tomstrat1968 Strat-Talker

Dec 27, 2010
    Texarkana,AR
    I'm a true believer in the visual sound double trouble. My new amp has a ts 9 built in but i prefer the double trouble.