Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I'd love to use the tremolo but it puts my guitar out of tune

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by apm1991, May 16, 2018.

1. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    Even after getting a professional set-up when I use the whammy bar for even one song it puts the guitar out of tune. I do not have locking tuners. I do not have Floyd Rose or anything like that. Just the standard MIM Strat bridge, which I do not have floating.... should I just give up on the whammy bar and use a pedal instead? I'd love to be able to use the whammy bar for an entire 10 song set without my guitar going out of tune

4stratshere and Green Sub like this.
  2. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You may need to upgrade your bridge.....Cheers

rocknrollrich and apm1991 like this.
  3. Mutnemom52

Mutnemom52 Strat-Talker

Apr 3, 2018
    Kentucky
    When it goes out of tune ,wiggle the bar again.If it goes back in tune,the strings are hanging up in the string tree or nut.But these stock bridges are made to stay in tune,and if set up correctly ,they do.The Fender website should tell you how to do this.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    you need to lube everything.
    lube the nut, the saddles, and even the bridge plate where it touches the 6 screws.
    the trems on my two mim strats stay in tune well.
    the stock string tree was too low on both strats and causing tuning problems. I switched it out for the tree found on mia standards and it fixed the problem. I lube the underside of the trees too.

5. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    There is the problem - no Floyd Rose.

Why do people use them?

Because they work - and your guitar stays in tune.

6. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    also, when you change strings you need to stretch them to the point that when you stretch them they stay in tune.
    no trem in the world will stay in tune if the strings are not properly stretched.

7. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    ∆ This!!!

guitars and apm1991 like this.
  8. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I will definitely try this out later

9. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    I agree.....the ofr is the most stable system there is. but finally after many years ive learned how to make both 6 point and 2 point strat trems stay in tune pretty good.

10. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Nothing against FRs, but I have several Fenders and G&Ls with floating trems and they never go out of tune. A proper set up is all that's needed, really.

Plus it only takes me 5 minutes to change strings. (That was a cheap shot, I know.) ;)

11. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Set it up to float as it was intended. Set it up right. It will stay in tune.
    Here's how.

Jeffl, Strat-Slinger and apm1991 like this.
  12. 1980

1980 Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    My standard trems work just fine and stay in tune as well. If it’s set up correctly, it will return to pitch and stay in tune. There are many variables and factors that can contibute here. Strings need to be thoroughly stretched, there needs to be no hangups on the saddles, nut, or string trees etc. But to say that you need a “trem upgrade” or that FR systems are the only answer just is not true.

13. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    what do you use for lubricant?

14. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    My 1986 AVRI stays in tune and the tremolo floats and I use it quite often for surfy type moves. Lube string path and it’ll work.

stratobiker, Frankg11 and apm1991 like this.
  15. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    some lip balm called burts bees. I use a toothpick to apply it. I apply it everywhere I said before except the bridge plate touching the screws.....I do that maybe once every year or two.
    IMG_20180516_120910.jpg

Shawn Ferro and Fuzzpop like this.
  16. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    no joke.. chapstick?

17. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    no joke. I was setting up one of my strats one day and this was laying around so I tried it. it worked so well I just kept using it. and its cheap.

davidKOS and apm1991 like this.
  18. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    The following opinions are redundant with some of the above info. It assumes that you're stretching out your string set until they're stable. Another assumption is that you're winding strings correctly at the posts.

1. The entire MIM standard bridge assembly is capable of functioning properly. 1000s do right now.
    2. It can function properly either full-floating or decked.
    3. That professional set-up wasn't. It was incomplete and/or they didn't understand Strats.
    4. Back to the set-up, the nut needs to be cut properly or tuning issues will occur.
    5. Unless you're a dive bomber, you don't need a Floyd or anything like it to return to tune.
    6. You don't need locking tuners if you wind correctly.
    7. Your tuners might seem sloppy, but it doesn't affect tuning stability. Tuners don't "unwind."
    8. If you need to lubricate anything, you're lubricating a symptom without fixing the underlying problem.

Take it to a different tech: tell he/she the problem and any preferences you might have. Pay for a complete set-up. Play it, measure everything, watch the videos in a previous post, try it yourself next time. You can't do anything to it that can't be corrected.

19. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    great advice thanks!.. technically it wasn't a 'full set up' so to say... I don't believe he did anything to the nut or frets... He shimmed the neck to get the action lower, adjusted truss rod, and re-strung.. $35 + strings

20. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    From my experience, if you only use the trem for light vibratos, then several systems work OK - Bigsby, Fender, some of the Gibson Vibrolas.

If you "abuse" the trem, as in drop the tension fully on the strings, or want it to bend notes up, etc., then some FR or similar fully locking trem will stay in tune. For me that's the only reason to use a trem.

Yes, you are correct, depending on your needs other systems work.

I only have one guitar set up for trem use, and it came with a FR from the factory.

Raiders757 and simoncroft like this.