Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I'd love to use the tremolo but it puts my guitar out of tune

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by apm1991, May 16, 2018.

1. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Maybe so.

How hard do you abuse the trem when playing? Serious dive-bombing? Adrian Below craziness?

just curious!

2. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    this :D

circles and sam_in_cali like this.

3. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    Again, I'm curious how hard you push the trem when playing?

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    I rarely use it anymore, but just to test them I went ape and they surprised me. and when I say ape I mean king kong. up and down through the full range over and over. maybe ill make a vid.

5. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    You may need to switch to a Jaguar or Jazzmaster.

6. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    It's funny, when I first saw a guitar fitted with a FR and heard about the benefits, I really wanted one. But it was a super-expensive retro-fit when they first came out, doubly so in the UK.

Fast forward 30-something years and I buy an affordable US Strat with an immaculately retro-fitted FR off ebay. Tried very hard to like it, but failed. The truth is, the FR still delivered what it promised but I no longer had any need for it. Vibrato is pretty much all I use a bar for, and an FR is overkill for the older and tamer Simon.

7. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    Yet the FR feels so natural on my Jackson. I guess those superstrat-type guitars were made for them.

circles likes this.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    There is your problem. Believe it or not, a floating bridge will stay in tune better than a decked bridge if you actually use the trem bar. It is designed to float, and the only reason to deck it, is if you are not going to use the bar.

9. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I've heard you use it to great effect. It just wasn't for me. :)

davidKOS likes this.

10. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    I loved the floyd on that 93 fr classic strat I had.

davidKOS likes this.

11. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I have never played a Strat fitted with anything other than a floating 6 hole vintage tremolo. Never had any tuning issues when it's set up right. Pull it up, push it down, wiggle it all around.

12. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    There is science to this. A decked bridge always returns to the same physical position. Superficially, this sounds as if the result will be a more reliable return to pitch, but often the opposite is the case.

This is because one of the most common problems – as others have noted – is one or more strings catching at the nut and/or string trees as the bar is released from a down-bend. As the bar is depressed, the strings slacken and slide freely across the nut, even if it isn't cut very well. When the bar is released, the tension exerted on the nut/string trees by the strings increases, and it is at this point some of the strings can go sharp.

A floating bridge reacts to the increased tension caused by the sharp strings by returning slightly forward of its previous position, which has the effect of averaging out the problem by making the strings slightly flatter than they would have been. It might not be perfect, but it often undetected by the listener.

Many players also pull the bar past the null point momentarily, which helps to yank any caught strings from whatever point in the system where they were stuck.

13. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    I just use a bit of 3-in-1 oil on the Bridge saddles/Top nut and the String trees but I fitted cheap roller strings trees.

Always tune-up from below the note,not from above otherwise you can leave slack in the Tuners.

I did this bit of madness on my Squier Bullet,stock Tremolo,

https://app.box.com/s/tf9w75xrcu8gqz3ocqpxhnj3kqh82l45

[​IMG]

problem-child, simoncroft and apm1991 like this.

14. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    As others have pointed out. It cant work properly if its not floating. When it floats and is setup properly (1.5 step pull on the g string, heh) then it will always go back to tune , given that it has been maintained.

davidKOS and Ebidis like this.

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Yep. :thumb:

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

16. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Mine is decked (the way I prefer it to be),
    And my guitar stays in tune beautifully.
    So..... I gotta disagree with ya.

17. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I find that if a string does return sharp (usually the stupid G string:mad:), a little wiggle of the bar, or bending the string puts it right back in tune.

simoncroft and brians like this.

18. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Disagree all you want, but in my (and many others) experience, it is easier to keep it in tune with the bridge floating.

There are however, no absolutes. If yours works decked (do you use the bar?) then rock on. :thumb:

Of my 2 Strats, one is decked, but the bar is not used, the other is floating, and stays in tune well.

T Guitar Floyd and davidKOS like this.

19. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California

And all my other guitars have no trem except the the Yamaha Variax - which has a floating Fender style trem - which I rarely ever use it.

But when I want to use a trem, I grab that Jackson.

and stay in tune without having to wiggle, adjust, etc.

20. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Also , I have to wonder if we are all going by the same definition of "in tune".

In tune with it self --- relatively in tune.
    Truly in tune --- with a tuner.

If your guitar stays in tune with itself, and you aren't playing with other instruments, you probably wouldn't notice if you were sharp or flat by a few cents.

In a studio, or in a band (to a lesser extent), that few cents off will stick out like a sore thumb.

I like my bridge decked, mainly because i have a stop point for rhe bridge to return to that doesn't change.

On a floating bridge, things can be a little more tricky in that regard.
    If your floating bridge doesn't return to the exact spot it left from, you're going to be off a few cents at least.
    No big deal at home, and not necessarily a catastrophe on stage, but in a studio with a producer who has good ears......
    You're dead.

owenmoney and apm1991 like this.