Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

If You Build It, You Will Save

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Twin Stripes, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Twin Stripes

Twin Stripes New Member!

Oct 30, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I wanted to get real about something that caught my attention yesterday. As I as paroosing the internet, I came across an Eric Clapton Custom Shop Strat for $4500. Yes, $4500!

If you were to dismantle this guitar piece by piece and lay all of the components out individually, there is no way that they add up to $4500.

A prewired pickguard with these pickups is $350 (on the high end). The rest of the hardware is standard American Fender stuff, which I value at about another $350-$400 (again, on the high end).
    It comes with a case so that's $100-200. A strap ($10), and a cable ($30).

So am I to understand that the wood quality, neck shape, and finish make up the other $3800?

Here are the specs:
    • Body: Select Alder
    • Color: Mercedes Blue
    • Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Soft "V" Shape, (Satin Polyurethane Finish
    • Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5" Radius
    • No. of Frets: 22 Vintage Style Frets
    • Pickups: 3 Vintage Noiseless Pickups (Neck, Middle, Bridge)
    • Master Volume, Master Tone Control, Master Active Mid Boost (0-25dB)
    • Bridge: "Blocked" American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
    • Machine Heads: Fender/Gotoh Vintage Style Tuning Machines
    • Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
    • Pickguard: 1-Ply White
    • Scale Length: 25.5"
    • Width at Nut: 1.650"
    • Active Mid-Boost Circuit
    • Eric Clapton's Signature on Headstock (Looks like any American Standard headstock)
    Please, help me understand. You can build a super high quality Partscaster using quality Warmoth bodies and an authentic Fender neck for no more than $1500.

JamminJay, Omar, jaybones and 2 others like this.
  2. bassetman

bassetman Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 14, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    Being able to do a good job on the finishing and the initial setup is where most parts casters fail...you will not get a perfect finish on your first try....but that second or third one will look great if you learn that proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.. most of mine are well under 1500 in parts but are far better setup than a store guitar. If you have a bit of skill and patience you can produce a stellar guitar that is perfect . The only loss is you you try to sell one quickly you get the “partscaster” lowball.

Omar, mabley123, diogoguitar and 2 others like this.
  3. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talk Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Sarasota florida
    I buy Parmesan cheese buy the wheel. $3/lbs. Kraft grated parm cheese is $4/8oz.
    If you can’t use a grater, you should be a hater.

Dare1, Nubs, Stratoskater and 2 others like this.
  4. bassetman

bassetman Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 14, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    Genuine fender necks are way overpriced. You can do a roast maple neck from Warmoth with stainless frets and tusq nut for about 250. I feel strongly that they are better than a fender neck in every way. I’ve had one that “needed” work and that was a very minor leveling. That I could have skipped.

owenmoney and Ruscio like this.
  5. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    the warmoth tele i built is, in my opinion, a much higher quality guitar than any of my fenders.

6. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Ad space available Strat-Talk Supporter

7. StrugglingStrum

StrugglingStrum Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas
    The custom shop stuff I usually want is because of the neck shape and finish. I wanted to build a partscaster with a hot rod red body, and it was damn near impossible to find. Also, the v shaped neck is often a CS specialty. Your paying in the and in the end. I was drooling over a CS vintage blonde with a rosewood v shaped neck, so I built one. I plan to post about tomorrow.

Nate D likes this.
  8. StrugglingStrum

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas
    The custom shop stuff I usually want is because of the neck shape and finish. I wanted to build a partscaster with a hot rod red body, and it was damn near impossible to find. Also, the v shaped neck is often a CS specialty. Your paying in the and in the end. I was drooling over a CS vintage blonde with a rosewood v shaped neck, so I built one. I plan to post about tomorrow.

GuitarMechanic and s5tuart like this.
  9. StrugglingStrum

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas

10. StrugglingStrum

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas

11. StrugglingStrum

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas

12. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I initially built my '59 tribute hardtail Mary Kaye for about $1300- three years ago, using almost exclusively Fender parts.
    Since then I have changed tuners (Fender to Kluson +$70), changed 2 p'ups ( Texas Specials to PV59s +$90), changed pickguards twice (+$45), and swapped necks (Fender SRV to Fender AV '59 +$500) making the total about $2000.
    It's a really really nice tribute- as close to pre-CBS as I can get IMO.
    From the start, I wanted an AV 59 neck but couldn't find one. IF I had, I've have about $1500 in an excellent guitar- very comparable to a CS Strat in quality and materials.
    I could have purchased a used AV 59 for about $1500 (which I think is a more realistic comparison than the signature model Clapton), but it would neither a hardtail, nor a Mary Kaye replica.

So, to answer your question, Yes, you can build a high quality personalized guitar for less than $1500... but you can also buy a quality used Fender for about the same amount.

Nate D, Neil.C and Tone Deaf like this.
  13. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    OP, If I wanted a custom shop Eric Clapton model for $1599 and it really suited me I'd buy it, assuming I couldn't find an excellent used model.

With assembling a load of bits, you never really know what it is going to sound/feel like until it is put together.

I'd rather buy something I can try and compare personally.

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    My partscaster is my most expensive guitar, but is still an order of magnitude lower in price than the CS tribute its based on.

robjp, Nate D, bassetman and 3 others like this.
  15. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Yes, you can build your own version of the Clapton Strat & it will cost less money than buying Fender's version. But if you don't like it or get bored with it, your partscaster will be worth very little - nobody wants to buy somebody else's partscaster because they have no idea if the person who assembled it was a genius or an idiot.

A high end Fender will retain a decent resale value if you decide to sell it. That's the trade-off we all face.

JamminJay, Neil.C, Dare1 and 4 others like this.
  16. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK
    Parmesan is tasty, but it does smell like sick.

17. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Grated parmesan does. Real parmesan (in a block) does not.

BuffaloHound likes this.
  18. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think the magic phrase here is "Custom Shop", like when camera sales add the word "professional".

Silvercrow and Will Lefeurve like this.
  19. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Don't forget 'Master Builder' though.. most important.. ;):whistling::D

Silvercrow and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  20. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

+1,000

Partscasters have basically no resale value, and I have about 5 of them currently together and parts for at least 5 more.

I always recommend against building a partscaster- it’s not an inexpensive route, and if you don’t like it, you’re stuck with it.
    Shop around, you can get a good deal on a gently used guitar with the features you want
    Good luck