Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

If You Build It, You Will Save

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Twin Stripes, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    You make an interesting point.. and one I have reiterated often....

there are those that will cite the fit and finish as being paramount, but neglect to consider how that factors into a guitar that is reliced.. the exact opposite where the finish is concerned.. and the fit is often "sacrificed" for the effect too... that only leaves ya with the parts and the setup...

Remember ya cannot hear how it looks... that's all in the head.... and a tight this or that doesn't mean squat.

I recall back in the 70's.. it was during that era that I made my first Strat from the ground up.. I was taking lessons from one of the more accomplished instructors/musicians in our area... I still remember, he had this kind of "this is gonna be cute" attitude as I told him I wanted his opinion of one I made....

about 2 hours later, he, slack jawed, asked me to build him one...

Assuming ya get good parts, usually from the same supplier, they fall together like an erector set .. from there it's ALL in the setup, including fret leveling...

rk

2. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

That extra $3,800 is for the brand on the headstock and the COA paper -- priceless items for those that buy that model.

You will find Squier guitars where someone sanded off the Squier logo and stuck on a Fender decal because that brand attraction is so strong. Of course, the second or third buyer of this guitar has lost all records of what it was and is on forums asking if the 'Fender' they just bought is real or a fake ... again because they value that real logo, more than the playability and tone of the guitar.

The power of the marketing department is expansive.

3. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    well ya gotta remember, there are many that have lusted after certain "luxury" items all their lives, and once they achieve a point where the cost isn't that much of a factor, they reward themselves...

there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. While being aware that a 39.95 Timex is every bit as accurate as a 10,000.00 Rolex, going for the Rolex... perfectly OK

SO sometimes you spend far more than you need to, simply because you want to...

For some, there is nothing like the reward that comes from playing one you made yourself, for that first time, for others there is nothing like playing one they simply couldn't afford until they could... either is a perfectly good reason for taking the leap..

rk

4. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    Well said Ron! I agree 100%

5. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    Double post

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    A big portion of the cost is the artist signature. This argument has been played out on here dozens of times with partscaster vs MIM, partscaster vs MIA, MIA vs Custom Shop, CS Team Build vs CS Master Build. It boils down to the guitar is worth to you what you feel like paying and it's worth to me what I feel like paying.

7. Twin Stripes

Twin Stripes New Member!

Oct 30, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I guess I've just gotten to the point of "who gives a damn" about name brand anything. At the end of the day, no one cares but you. I care more about the sound and feel of Strat. I would much rather save my cash and use it to get a nice amp, or even another guitar. I just got my MIM 60's Strat and I honestly hear no difference in sound from anoy other Strat I've ever owned. Maybe if I sit down and play a CS I'll feel differently.

8. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Build it!
    Here one of my DIY's... believe sounds great! And even looks... incredible!

Attached Files:

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    I wanted an SRV signature, but didn't want to spend all the money on it, and wanted to put my initials on as a tribute, in 2011. Came out to be less than $1,000 and has been one of the best guitars I've ever played.

20180825_104521-01.jpeg

10. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Precisely why I built my own Blackie.

Black Stratocaster body
    "Unbranded" Canadian hardrock maple neck. Vintage tint actually has some nice flame
    Loaded Lace Hot Gold pups MIA PG
    MIA bridge with Callahan Big Block- free floated with Tremsetter
    Fender "f" tuners
    Roller trees

Andrew Wasson and rlmcritters1 like this.
  11. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    I think that’s really a hugely important piece right there. Not that I expected you to say something dum dum Ron :)

rlmcritters1 likes this.
  12. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yup I've been drumming that fact . . FACT!! since i entered the forums over 15 years ago.. These guys that resist the notion with a comment like "I bought it new, it should be perfect...." just makes me nuts...

Few things come off the assembly like "perfect" Specially if it's something where there will be a tactile interface.... I used to film the Peter Gregg (google him) Mercedes/Porsche dealership auto commercials.. He let me drive his race prepped 917 around Daytona one day... Zooommm... anyway .. I was a kid, into sports cars.. MG's TR's, etc.. well he leme drive a Carrera for a few days... but he said he'd have to "prep" it first...

I told him, Man, there's no way I could never buy one, so don't sweat the prep.. He said, he NEVER allows a car t go out without all the randomness of the assembly line being corrected... that was a Porsche... now. . .how 'bout your guitar,.. ever get that randomness corrected?

Guys still ask me what's the first thing they should mod... easy.. get the darn frets leveled and polished then the guitar setup... they curl up their nose like they're thinking, "Hey, that ain't sexy .. I wanna change the pups, the tremolo, Cap, pots, the nut, the tuning keys, the pickguard, the strap buttons, I wanna strip the paint and repaint it... then it'll sound great!?

Great Hhmm . . yeah... how 'bout those frets???

rk

13. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    I've gotten some flack on this site because I said I always have my guitars, even my two CS Strats I have, go in for fret work. Folks got super pissed that a CS guitar would need fret work. Between knowing what I like and the fact that most guitars are made of organic material and subject to environmental changes, getting some simple fret work makes sense to me.

You still season a $30 filet to taste, even if it is a premier cut of meat... :)

14. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
  15. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

That’s cool dude

Dare1 likes this.
  16. R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle Strat-Talk Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Right now I'm not having any issues. I have the string tree ready, in case it starts to sitar on me or slip out of the nut slots.

Nate D likes this.
  17. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

Sep 11, 2012
    Melbourne
    We're not doing like for like in the example in the OP

If you were to build an Am Std using that level of parts, it would be way more expensive than buying one together as a whole guitar. But you are now comparing that level of parts to a custom shop finished guitar. Which is not the same.

So if we are doing comparisons it is really imperative to state what we are comparing.....because you can certainly buy cheaper. But you don't get the same guitar.

18. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    the reality is, a guitar's neck is rarely flat.. and then more by chance than design.. it's wood . . what part of: "Wood is a dynamic medium, it is CONSTANTLY moving." does not sink in..

if the wood moves so does any metal thingys that might just be stuck into slots cut into it too.. :p

actually Leveling the frets does NOT level the frets except for a brief moment in time immediately after the leveling tool has done its thing.. then the dynamics of an ever changing environment take over. If you level the board one day.. then come back and check the next, you will find irregularities already..

At this point I usually get the question, "Well then why bother to level 'em?"

I use this analogy... unleveled frets are like a road full of pot holes... constantly changing in an indiscriminate manner, unpredictable and every change to accommodate yet another "pot hole" is different from the last. Just a PItA to drive on..

a leveled fret board is more like a hilly road, where the ups and down are on a specific gradient and predictable as ya move along... It just makes all the difference in the world.

Below are photos of a Gibson LP, Made in the Good 'Ol USA and pleked at the factory... it was brand new.... this is how it checked out.. and this is not to suggest that Gibson or the Plek process sux... this is as common on new even new up scale guitars as flies in a barnyard... and this just happens to be the one brand new guitar I had at the moment to photograph...

and also a disclaimer... the higher you like your action, the less important any of this becomes...

r

DSC_7688.JPG DSC_7689.JPG DSC_7690.JPG DSC_7691.JPG

19. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    and I like my action low... :)