Join Strat-Talk Today

If You Only Had $10,000 To Spend On A Cork Sniffery Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Antstrat, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide Strat-Talker

Even if I had billions dollars, I would never spend that on an amp, or instrument.

rafasounds likes this.
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka Going....Going....Gone. Strat-Talk Supporter

It's actually too loud for that. The THD Pico Valve that Jet City makes will do that really well.

thomquietwolf likes this.
  3. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

But it's not as pretty :(

fezz parka likes this.
  4. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

cork sniffery ?

Antstrat, JB74, circles and 1 other person like this.
  5. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

For $10,000?
    I would buy a pickup truck and use the leftover money on a Deluxe Reverb.

6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I’d get one of the custom JMI AC 30s, and still have money left over, with a master volume and a SS rectifier ala Brian May

7. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

I'd get a Two Rock Bloomfield or a Sterling thats coming out. I'd replace all the tubes with NOS glass too!

8. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd buy a Pignose, and get it gold plated.

9. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

This. X 1,000

Silvercrow, Antstrat and circles like this.
  10. Bikerdude2

Bikerdude2 Strat-Talker

Having owned a few high dollar amps I personally think while you can get close with some cheaper amps sometimes they have their own thing going on. But I’m just a poor white boy who Sometimes like to sniff the cork lol

Jesse414 and Antstrat like this.
  11. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Every amp I could forseeably wish to own is less than $10K AUD... let alone GBP or even USD.

Hell, theres an original early Dallas Arbiter Sound City 100 mk3 is being offered for 4K aussie locally, and I reckon it's only worth about 2800 max.

I've seen people ask stupid money for allegedly legendary amplifiers. I will deliberately exclude Dumble here, as they have been $150K+ for the last 10 years if you order one.

The real reality is that if you like the patina of old tweed or tolex, or a scuffed name badge, you will inevitably pay the 'cork sniffer fee'.

I'm not sure why it's cork sniffery - but perhaps the unertone of the statement alludes to those who cannot afford to buy vintage gear scoffing at those who can. All as a direct result of the guitar playing community globally using overly verbose social media descriptors - in turn helping sellers on reverb / ebay / local 'vintage used guitar' stores to excessively inflate values of vintage gear to a level that is nowhere near worth the price being asked...

If you want a reliable amp with the 'real' tones, you can buy pretty much all of the flavours brand new right off the shelf today for less than ¼ of the 10K, and have speakers of your choice in the combo or cab - even have handwired replicas made for less than 1/5 ... you absolutely do not need a 'boutique' brand.

and if you are a DIY type, then it's going to cost you half what you'd buy it for new.

Jesse414 and Antstrat like this.
  12. Antstrat

Antstrat Strat-O-Master

I'm not sure why it's cork sniffery - but perhaps the unertone of the statement alludes to those who cannot afford to buy vintage gear scoffing at those who can.

No. Not my intent or definition, just humor nothing more.

Having been on various forums off and on the last 20 + years (more off than on the last 10) my personal experience with the term cork sniffing came from a certain forum which I won't name (hint: angled head stocks and humbuckers)

What people do with their money and what pleases them is their business, I not only don't care but I don't judge. If you like your $600 coffee maker then I'm happy for you.

Having said that what really turned me off was the clique of people who ONLY bought 3K + amps, who only played the Historic custom shop models and really made people feel inferior who did not have what they have. They weren't subtle either. I've seen countless posts where someone had to save up to get a used Les Paul Studio for example and in their NGD thread they say "I know it's only a studio...." WTF? What kind of atmosphere is that were you make a guy feel inferior on something he's very proud and happy of? It's NOT just a Studio, it's a fine guitar and I'm happy for you I would post often in these threads.

What I REALLY like about this forum is whether it's a new Squire or Custom Shop, a boutique pedal or a boss, a $200 fender amp or a $2000 hand wired whatever, this forum shares in everyone's joy and happiness and it makes people feel good. No snobbery, no cork sniffing no looking down their nose just plain "congrats on your new ________" Pretty cool if you ask me.

I'm new here and learning the culture. I'm also neither a snob or a jealous person about anything or anyone. Last but not least I have a wide, warped sense of humor and I may poke fun at others but I also poke fun at myself too so to anyone here if I have offended you message me and let me know.

It's really been hot where I live last few days, I'm tired, cranky and need to put some ice in my shorts and go sit in front of my fan.

13. thomquietwolf

Changed my mind...

I'd give it to @Morf2540
    So he could get a better truck

Jesse414 likes this.
  14. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I know what the humourous intent was.

However you have misquoted me by extrapolating only on a portion of my statement, which does not reflect the context in which it was originally written... As such, you appear to believe I am taking issue with your original comment, which I am not.

Whether people realize it or not, this entire social media connected world of fora is a sales pitch. "cork sniffing" is a very real practice of a minority, nonetheless very pervasive. It's pervasive because those who practice it are truly narcissistic. It's not a trifle, even though most of us mock it. We mock it because we see it for what it is.

Generally the true snobs do not fare well on fora. They will however find a place where their like-minded cohorts exist and they will live and breathe their own vitriol.

ST isn't one of those places, and we poke fun of the cork sniffer term regularly. We even mock those who identify with the term by pretending to wear their badge and spruike in their phraseology.

Just chill bro. No-one is out to 'get you' here. We're all just shooting the breeze.

15. Antstrat

Antstrat Strat-O-Master

Had to google spruike, thought it might be a pricey amp.

:D

JB74 likes this.
  16. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd buy that Fender Champ that Mark Knopfler looked at.

Dare1 and 808K like this.
  17. thomquietwolf

Could you go a little further on this?

18. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

An old Super and spend the rest on beer to stack on top of it

JB74 likes this.
  19. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I think I would gave to get a life. With $10K I would buy a used JCM combo then use the rest to help feed and house some of the homeless people I see struggling to just survive every day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

20. fezz parka

fezz parka Going....Going....Gone. Strat-Talk Supporter

The Pico Valve is a perfect big tone at a low SPL amp. It's well designed.

A Champ is 5 watts of in your face single ended glory. At a volume where they sing...its too loud for home use IMO.

Nate D and CB91710 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.