Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I'm at a Loss

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by blocher65, Jan 13, 2019.

1. blocher65

blocher65 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I have a Lefty Flame Maple Strat. Which is rare, from what I hear from some people in the know.

Its a '97. It has had some work done to it. New pickups, push pull knobs, etc. But my problem is its a flame maple body, and I'm pretty sure its not a Foto flame. Pics show the guitar.

Its not a DX, the neck says a standard American made.

Anybody know a ting about this?

It plays great and sounds great. I love it. Being a lefty its hard to find a nice guitar, albeit a rare one.

Attached Files:

circles likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    It's not a fotoflame, it's a Fender USA 1997 American Standard with a flame top and back.....I've seen them on Teles and Strats, not as common as regular sunburst but they exist.....

3. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    I dont recall an American standard coming with a flame top.
    Fender serial states it's a brown burst body.
    Would need more pictures of the insides of the body with pic guard off to confirm if its original or not.

1996 50th anniversary models had a flame top but was a limited run of 2500 and the serial format was different

4. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I did check the Fender serial site and got the same results....however.....look at this Tele from the same year, not a 1996 limited model either...and flame....

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fender-standard-telecaster-usa-97-267812459

5. Mr Dunlop

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    jvin248 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  6. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Agreed - you can't rely on the online lookup for oddball things. I don't remember American Standards with flame tops in 1997, but you just never know about FSR models. Running the serial number through customer service is about the only way to get more info on FSRs.

7. blocher65

Sep 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    this is great. Thanks for the info. I know NOTHING about Fender guitars, only that I love to play them, lol.

Next Time I change the strings I'll take a look inside. Thanks for the info. If it weren't for guys with your knowledge I'd be stumped.

8. blocher65

Sep 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
  9. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Factory Special Run or Fender Special Run, guitars made to order by a large retailer like Guitar Center.....

I would send your serial number to consumerrelations@fender.com they can give you a full spec sheet on what your guitar is....

10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    Fuzzy Sock Rabbit. Nah just joking, it's Fender Special Run

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    midwestfisherma likes this.
  11. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    That is likely a Maple cap over an alder body, uncommon, but not anymore common than a lefty Strat. There are always FSR's lurking in all Fender eras. The 1990 Strat Ultra I have has a maple cap or veneer, or whatever you want to call it. It might be a special order due to the lefty status of the guitar.

I think Foto Flames involved the neck to give an appearance of flame in the necks

12. Nubs

Nubs Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Very interesting guitar you have there. I don't recall seeing an MIA lefty with a flame top before. A few years ago, they had the Strat Plus Top in 2 different models (cherry burst w/ maple neck & tobacco burst w/ rosewood neck) but those were MIMs.

If/when you find more info, please share. I'm very curious about this now.

Thanks & nice Strat!

13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Strat-O-Master

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    No, they had flamed tops. I don’t recall the back or the neck though. It could be a veneer. Back in the nineties some models had a veneer. I know they did it on the Mexican ones, but I don’t know about MIA though.

14. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I still have a 1997 American Standard. It started its life as a two tone Sunburst.. veneered back and front. Five piece Poplar body too.. :eek:

15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Strat-O-Master

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    I had an 82 Strat that had a five piece body, and they didn’t even try to hide it.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    On my old Bird amp it was F*****g S****y Reverb..............

Stratoskater likes this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Why do they never make multi piece bodies with the joins top to bottom rather than parallel with the strings? It would make smaller pieces useable.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Dick Blackmore likes this.
  18. Mr Dunlop

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    I ran a serial for a guitar I was thinking about buying and ran the ops serial.

Fender confirmed the body should be alder finished in brownburst.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  19. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    or make em out of particle board

20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I can only help if you are at a LOS.