Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Improv Challenge #296 my swan song for awhile

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by montemerrick, Dec 4, 2018.

1. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i like Sebastien Zunino's tracks a lot... his advice on what to play is pretty rudimentary, but he uses tasty chords and you can be as crazy with them as you like... his own playing is quite remarkable...

2. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
  3. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

One take using GarageBand, which is a whole new can of worms for me! Especially after 2 pints of stout!

Mellencaster, duzie, knh555 and 11 others like this.
  4. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Nice takes by everyone so far.

It's fitting to end it with a blues, Monte. It's the door you came in, but not the door you're leaving through. ;)

stratobiker, s5tuart and montemerrick like this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    We don't have nearly enough blizzards around here these days and I miss them. Don't be gone for too long.

s5tuart, montemerrick and simoncroft like this.
  6. montemerrick

“If one wants to be a good improviser, one has to know how composition works so one can execute it in real time. Therefore, it is imperative to study composition and improvisation as a parallel. Music is 50 percent sound and 50 percent silence. If one sits down and listens to nothing but silence in a very quiet place, it's very intense. So, when one interrupts that silence with a sound, one must make sure that the sound has the same intensity as the silence. When this is achieved, sound and silence start to work together opening doors to multiple choices that should always exist in good improvisation and composition. When writing a composition, one is given more time to make these selections. Improvising in real time, one must be able to make these selections spontaneously. I strive to incorporate these elements in my work and have found them to be extremely helpful." – Roscoe Mitchell, 2014 @davidKOS @fezz parka @dogletnoir (just wanted hear what you all might think about this Roscoe Mitchell statemetn

knh555, davidKOS and dogletnoir like this.
  7. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Its all 100% on the money.

I heard this in a different way from Howard 100's of times.

Some can do this without doing the work, but it's usually on simple forms and mostly in a single key center. Luck has a lot to do with it too..

8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I am not on the list of smart persons to respond to Monte's interesting posted quote but I am going to give it a shot.

It's possible to do it to some extent without all the work, but it will, in my opinion, usually be managed by people with a broad musical background both in listening and participation. If you do choir, sing in church, play your guitar, play in marching band, concert band, jazz band, garage bands etc., you may internalize enough stuff that it is just THERE. Kinda... :D

montemerrick likes this.
  9. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    But without taking note of it and working to internalize it, the chances are greater that you may not. Just doing it is just the start. You have to carry it though to make any real progress. Howard called it Praxis. Go to the music...play it. Extrapolate the theory afterwards.

montemerrick and dogletnoir like this.
  10. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    Truth... in essence, improvisation is the art of spontaneous composition.

Here's some more food for thought:
    "If music is quality organised in sound, the musician has three approaches towards it: through sound, through organisation, or through quality.

The apprentice will approach the sound, the craftsperson will approach the organisation of sound, and the master musician approaches music through its quality.

That is, the master musician works from silence, organises the silence, and places sound between the silence."

"When our note is true, we are surprised to find that it sounds very much like silence, only a little louder."

- Robert Fripp

Omar, montemerrick and fezz parka like this.
  11. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Take for example this track Monte picked. It's in G minor. G minor is the vi of Bb major. Play a Bbmaj7 arpeggio over the G minor 7 chord (the i). ;)

The easy route is to blow G minor pent over it. But there's so much more you can do if you know that G minor is the sixth mode of Bb major.

Intervals 1-Bb, 2-C, 3-D, 4-Eb, 5-F, 6-G, 7-A.

Gm7 = 6-G, 1-Bb, 3-D, 5-F.
    Bbmaj7 arp = 1-Bb, 3-D, 5-F, 7-A.

If you know your modes and how they work, you know that over the Gm7 you can play the 6th, 1st, 3rd, and 5th modes in Bb major over this chord.

6th-G Aeolian
    1st-Bb Ionian
    3rd-D Phrygian
    5th-F Mixolydian.

Individual intervals make chords.
    Intervals makes scales.
    Scales make chord progressions.

Do the work. The reward is great.:)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  12. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Strat-O-Master

Jan 29, 2018
    NY
    I hope all is well and that you'll be back soon Monte.

For Monte:

Mellencaster, duzie, knh555 and 8 others like this.
  13. montemerrick

while i was recording (much to my surprise) the take i posted, i was mostly thinking in terms of minor 3rds, flattened 7ths and roots of the chord i was on, figuring that those would emphasize the minor blues of it all and provide a context for whatever notes from Gminor/ Bb major i also was hitting... since i'm sort of deficient on licks and such, i tend to just propel myself along with pretty (to me) tunes that don't go outside the key except for the occasional chromatic run, but using those and using those well are two different things for me...

stratobiker and fezz parka like this.
  14. montemerrick

what a groovy groove!!! Robbie Krieger flavored and full of wonderful phrases!! i've missed hearing you play, Si! this is a real treat!

simoncroft and fezz parka like this.
  15. montemerrick

no worries... i'm not leaving the world (or this forum), just going to focus on playing music that gets me further down the road these days... i've got a long way to go and i need to be more intentional.

dogletnoir and duzie like this.
  16. montemerrick

Mark, a really nice take. I like those laughing gull descending runs a lot and and how your ideas sail right along bridging the various choruses together... knitted nicely! and those staccato things 3/4s through... lovely!

fezz parka likes this.
  17. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Hearing you play again brought a grin to my face...So good to hear you Si.

18. montemerrick

simply wonderful... nicely complex yet totally inside the sweet zone... like i said to Simon, it's a treat to hear you play... sounds like you! nice bunch of choruses! i need a fezz cd for the car.

fezz parka likes this.
  19. montemerrick

this challenge is bringing some of my favorite ST players out! Sir, that was, as the kids all say, well played! and signature you!

s5tuart and dogletnoir like this.
  20. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Thanks man. If you're there...I'm there. :)

dogletnoir and montemerrick like this.