Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Indian Laurel

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by FatStrat70, Apr 21, 2018.

1. FatStrat70

FatStrat70 New Member!

Apr 19, 2018
    FI
    Hey! What do you think of indian laurel fretboards? Maintenance and playability?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    First I've ever heard of laurel being used as a fretboard material.

3. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Never heard of it before either

4. FatStrat70

FatStrat70 New Member!

Apr 19, 2018
    FI
    Fender has started to use laurel instead of rosewood.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Strat-Talk mobile app

5. Mech

Mech Strat-O-Master

Jul 12, 2009
    ALX
    I like it. I've seen some incredible grain patterns on it. Truth be told, I like it more than than ugly reddish PF. Maybe some of the Wood guys will check in...

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    This is a look only a mother could love.

Indian Laurel.............................. :thumbd:

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.00.04 AM.png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  7. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I thought Fender was using Pau Ferro instead of rosewood now?

That635Guy likes this.
  8. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Larrivee amongst other high quality guitar builders have used Indian Laurel, when curly it looks beautiful almost like Koa. As I understand Fender has started using it as fretboard material on some Squier guitars. I know I've seen standards with that fretboard.

[​IMG]

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Think they’ll ever use synthetics like Martin do on some of their acoustics? IMO they’re awful.

10. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Seems more like Fender tries it's best to build their guitars out of wood like they always have done, and even now when taking the rosewood out of the equation to some degree there are still other woods out there that are accessible, cheap and look the part for the most. But sure they are like Gibson a big manufacturer and always try to build as consistent as possible so that they don't suffer a big loss on the count of having to discard actual wood because they don't look good etc so the possibility is out there that Fender might someday start using synthetic materials.

My biggest issue is when it comes to refretting and repair jobs. I've seen pictures, read and heard stories that prove working with materials such as richlite or micarta isn't that easy, these materials are very heat sensitive. So you have to be extra careful when refretting, using heat on the frets or changing a richlite bridge on an acoustic guitar. They can catch fire, change appearance due to heat etc

Stratoskater likes this.
  11. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Don’t burn your bridges!

jaybones and Guy Named Sue like this.
  12. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    If Ebony and Rosewood can stand up to 48 years of minimal maintenance and still retain playability, you should have no problem. I never do any maintenance of my 3 ebony boards or 3 rosewood boards. And guess what they have zero impact on sound, so why worry about pau ferro, indian laurel, jatoba, panga panga, or merbau. They are likely Asian woods. Fender isn't worried about it, but they are just letting you know.

You'll get more out of practicing the instrument than worrying about wood species. Just be happy it's wood, because it could be resin from recycled materials like richlite (I do recycle my cardboard), carbon fiber($$$$), or some other material from the future.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Stratoskater likes this.
  13. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Indian Laurel?

Don't know her...