Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Info As to What's Going On?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Silvercrow, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:08 AM.

1. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I have a question, because I'm curious about all things...and although I've been playing electric guitar for close to 40 years, I've never been a 'big' pedal guy. I am recently discovering how great pedals can be (old dog learns new trick, film at 11PM...LOL)!

I recently purchased a mint Monster Effects Swamp Thang tremolo. OUTSTANDING, organic, trem; not a wide range of settings but VERY much like the trem on my Fender (previous) Super Reverb and Deluxe Reverb...

Something good, but unusual to me- I had at one point set it VERY low (two knobs; speed and depth which equates to effect speed and level, respectively) speed almost fully CCW and Depth about 11 A.M.- and I find myself leaving it on almost all the time!

Not trying to be stupid (it comes without trying!) but can anyone explain technically whats going on? It causes significant depth to my tone (almost like a reverb) with a really pleasing shimmer (I guess the tremolo 'pulsations?), but not what I'd consider a standard or normal tremolo effect.

Do any of you folks leave your tremolo on full time or near full time?

I'd love to hear how you might be using your trem in an 'other than normal' setting?

Thanks so much for any / all opinions, info, feedback, etc!

Brian

Namelyguitar likes this.

2. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    I think with the way you have it set, youre getting a kind of chorus effect.

Silvercrow and Stratoskater like this.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    To really dial in the surf-rock sound:
    A lot of wet, drippy reverb.
    Some slapback echo.
    And a hint of tremolo, slow and low.

Namelyguitar and Silvercrow like this.

4. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    The shimmer or depth you're getting has a lot to do with the way human ears perceive sound. When the effect is subtle, our ears don't distinguish between tremolo and vibrato very well. (Caveat--people with well-trained musical ears can distinguish them at much lower levels than other people, so "subtle" is a relative word here.) With the low setting, you're getting the shimmerness you'd get from a little finger vibrato, and yes, it's pretty cool.

I use this pedal a lot. Despite the name, it's a synced tremolo and phasor, and it adds a lot of life to the sound. I'd love them to do a reissue, because it does have a bit of treble bleed that makes it a pinch dark.

DOD-FX22-VIBROTHANG_original.jpg

Silvercrow likes this.

5. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Sometimes it is the tiny bit of spice that makes the meal stand out.

Raiders757, Silvercrow and Textele like this.

6. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Thanks all-! Keep it comin', please! I love to learn and this is good stuff!

@suncrush sounds like a really cool pedal! So, the neer ones are a smidge dark sounding? It's great when you find something that works, in my case by accident...and I don't know about you, but usually when I find something I really like, from cowboy boots to safety razors (yes, I use a safety razor) it will uually go out of production completely, or be replaced by something that I don't like..

Also- yes, idn't consider the finger vibrato thing, but very much similar. I use finger vibrato on single note runs, but not on chords so much.

@henderman How true!

Brian

7. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    @Silvercrow All the Vibrothangs are a little dark. I just run a treble boost into it. They're not hard to find used for probably $50 or something. Check youtube for clips and see if you like it.

Silvercrow likes this.

8. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i like to use my chorus pedal as a kind of "doubler". i set the level at about 75%, the eq at 50, the rate at 0, and the depth at about 75.

Stratoskater and Silvercrow like this.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

BITD,I used to leave my Rotovibe on with the pedal rocked all the way back. Fattened up the sound big time. Why did it do it? I don't know, and I don't care. Got rid of it when I started playing tweed circuit amps instead of BF stuff. That fattened sound was already in the tweed amps, so buh-bye.

Stratoskater and Silvercrow like this.

10. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Thanks so much!

Great info / ideas from everyone! I'll take all the info / ideas I can get...LOL

Brian

11. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    These days I have been using my Fulltone Supa-Trem and my TC Shaker at the end of my chain after my reverb pedal (TC HOF). They seem to be more effective and easier to dial in while in this position.

The Supa-Trem is awesome as it offers up a hard and soft option, half speed option, and large knobs to dial in with your feet. I can change what the pedal does on the fly with ease. One can easily dial in a soft subtle always on tremolo effect and with the press of the switch roll out with a heavy 'How Soon Is Now' (The Smiths) type of tremolo warble.

Lately I have been using it with a subtle amount of OD in an always on mode combined with a little delay and analog chorus for a really cool tone. The tremolo is so subtle that you can barely notice it's being used, but if bypassed, it's immediately noticed. Pretty wild stuff.

Silvercrow likes this.

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Those Supra Trems are sweet. I always put a trem pedal at the end as that’s where it is in an amp. Now that my amp has an onboard trem I like I haven’t used a pedal but the fulltone is one of the best.

Silvercrow and Raiders757 like this.

13. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    Reverb and delay pedals can cover a whole lotta territory. Built in reverb on amps is handy for obvious reasons.

Silvercrow likes this.

14. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Thanks for that info...I can almost hear my bank account draining, with these suggestions! Seriously, for me the best endorsements are from folks like you and the others that have posted on this, and other threads. No "mine is better than yours" type stuff, just honest "this is what works for me" info. There are a ton of reviews for just about anything on the 'net, but paid endorsements are...well..paid endorsements.

You said it well Raiders; trem that you don't notice on, but definitely know when it's off!

Brian

Raiders757 likes this.