Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Installed GF MIM brass trem block in my Squire Std...

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by trapdoor2, Nov 7, 2017.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Well, they told me it wouldn't fit...but I bought it anyway. :D

What I have is Squire Std. with the 2pt trem (2-1/16 spacing). Just by looking at the original trem block vs the pix of the GF on their site...pretty close. I asked GF up front and was advised that it wouldn't fit (they don't make one to fit a 2pt trem)...and they were right, up to a point.

Basically, the block mount screws and the string holes were a good fit. The trem arm hole was off by about 1/8" (just an eyeball measurement) in the 7 o'clock direction. It took me all of 10 minutes with a jeweler's file to open up the arm hole in the trem plate. Voila! The trem arm goes in nicely now. Sure, the hole in the trem plate is wonky looking...don't care. :cool:

Still got some work to do. The new block is much thicker than the original. The body rout needs some relief cut in so that I can dive the bar all the way down. I may never fix that as I can't imagine myself ever wanting to have the strings flop about (it could happen. I'm still a 12yr old in a 60yr old body). ;) It appears that I can get fully back to the deck on the lift though...won't need any clearance that direction.

Did the big brass block improve sustain? Heck, I dunno. I just wanted one. :rolleyes:

I would note that the GF block countersunk mounting screws are smaller than the originals. The GF's look like they're 8-32...the originals are probably 5mm (somewhat larger). I don't think this makes much difference but I have to say that the GF threads appear to be off kilter just a bit (not exactly perp to the surface). Again, not a big deal...but noticeable. It all went together nicely after the mod.

And...I'm happy with it. :)

PS the string holes in the new block are not as deep as the originals (by design). This adds a little mass, etc., blah, blah, blah. Downside: you can't re-use your old strings, as this new hole depth requires more string length. Sigh...new set of strings right down the toilet. :oops:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You.......have a good attitude. Please carry on and report your results.

jimnh likes this.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    So no noticeable difference in tone or sustain?

vid1900 likes this.

4. trapdoor2

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    I apologize for being pretty much useless in the comparative details. Although I'm an engineer and have done endless comparative tests of other minutiae over the years, I simply took one look at the original block and thought, "this has to go..."

So...I while I did string her up originally and wailed away like a teenager, I didn't really listen all that closely. I haven't cranked it up yet with the new block (have to go thru a proper setup all over again). IOW, if there is a difference (and I do believe there will be) it will have to be quite a big jump for me to notice.

I'm just having fun, enjoying the tinkering and learning the 'how and tao' of the Strat. I'll try to post some pix when I take it apart to clearance the block in the trem rout. The body wood is pretty soft, I'll bet I can make the clearance cuts easily with a wood chisel. No screaming Dremel! :D

5. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2016
    the Bozone
    I changed the trem block in a strat copy to a GFS brass block to correct a dead spot. Had one or two dead notes in the middle of the neck on the high E string. The new block moved the dead spot up to the 19th fret where I really don't care. I also had to open up the route in the body but otherwise it fit great. Sustain was not notably affected.

6. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I've swapped for a GFS Import block on a Squire. Larger, heavier, yes. No noticeable difference in tone or sustain. But there is a psychological comfort factor in having one.

stratman in va likes this.

7. trapdoor2

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Here's a pic of the trem plate. You can see how I had to enlarge the hole in the plate, etc. Not a lot...but not trivial either. With the trem arm attached, it is hardly noticeable.

Attached Files:

8. trapdoor2

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    LOL. I took the Strat down to GC and let the guitar tech wail on it (since I can't). I had the trem cover off and when he saw that huge brass block, he said something to the effect of, "now it will sustain like crazy!" (perception is the rule, I always say). Oh yeah, the kid can play. Sounded really good!

I should have asked him to take a similar 'stock' Squier down off the wall and compare. Ah well, I'm happy with it. I'll wait till the next string change to carve some clearance for the trem block. For now, I'm gonna button it up and start wearing these strings out...

Groovey likes this.

9. Eddie H

Eddie H Strat-Talk Member

Nov 11, 2017
    New York, NY
    I've been meaning to do this also. But honestly, neither my VM or Standard have issues with sustain. The small blocks look ugly, but they work fine for me. I'm gonna snag a CV soon ... maybe I'll make the change on that guy. :)

10. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    I understand and agree completely.

11. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    I have the same repair philosophy for my guitars. I can't just re-install the original part the way I found it. It has to be cleaned, or painted, or polished, or improved, or replaced, or modified.
    I refuse to take a tool to my MIA strat, otherwise it will become a never-ending project.

12. Eddie H

Nov 11, 2017
    New York, NY
    This is cool. I know I can google, but can you hit me with the link to the GFS MIM block?

Thanks.

13. trapdoor2

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Eddie H likes this.

14. Eddie H

Nov 11, 2017
    New York, NY

15. trapdoor2

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Cool. I believe the SE has a six-screw trem, so the MIM block ought to drop right in without mods.

Blackmore Fan and Eddie H like this.

16. metale

metale Strat-Talk Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    I installed a brass one, also by GFS, on my Squier Deluxe (also 2 point).

Used the import one. Perfect fit, except for the bar hole a bit off. I don't use the bar anyway, 5 springs and decked.

mechanic likes this.