Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Installing a Floyd on a Super Strat. Do I REALLY need the locking nut?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BluesGuitarist, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    1505320495694.jpg
    Only if you are using locking tuners and a roller nut. With non locking tuners the windings on the strings can and will slide against each other and nor comes back to their normal position leaving your axe useless for the rest of the song.

Raiders757 likes this.

2. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    At this point a Floyd w/ all the locking hardware is the only vibrato system I use.

I beg to differ. If you are using a vibrato arm for anything beyond a slight wobble, locking systems are the only way to trust that you will stay in tune.

Yes you can get Fender and Bigsby systems to work well for the light vibrato effects. Even some of the old Gibson Vibrolas can work for that.

Anyway, either you want to reliably stay in tune or not when using a serious vibrato effect.

3. ashcastermetal

ashcastermetal Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2012
    NYC
    This is the common idea about the different tremolo systems but some slight modifications to a vintage Strat tremolo with lubrication it's rock solid. I can do brutal dives and heavy trem abuse and stay perfectly in tune. It requires finesse but it can be done.

I do have a non fine tuner Floyd Rose and with a precisely cut nut it's as good as a double locking tremolo.

mshivy likes this.

4. TimJ

TimJ Strat-Talker

Aug 5, 2012
    London
    Someone else mentioned the LSR nut - I have a Beck Strat and that will take full on dive bombs with no problem.

The Gotoh on the Guthrie Govan Suhr is also excellent (I haven't played the new GG Charvel) - as is the non-locking trem on a MusicMan Luke model.

That said, the vintage 6 screw on my Mex Deluxe Roadhouse is pretty good too, with locking tuners.

5. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here

The reason Guthrie went with the Floyd bridge on his GG Charvel is that the Gotoh wouldn't stay in tune.

And I'll never forget going to a G3 show and watching Satch and Vai standing there twiddling their thumbs between songs while Luke retuned his Music Man.

Anyway.

Personally I prefer the full locking bridge plus locking nut setup (a good one - Gotoh 1996, genuine Floyd, Ibanez Edge) not just for the tuning stability but for the feel of the guitar. I like the way that all the strings have exactly the same string length. I like the way the high strings are more touch and bend friendly than on an unlocked Strat.

6. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Here are some facts, based on my decades of experience working with guitars on a pro level.

I worked in a pro shop for years, and I have owned dozens of vibrato equipped guitars.

Before the internet, manufacturers would send factory trained reps out to thier vendors to educate and train salesmen and techs.

I was trained by Fender factory reps, an Ibanez factory rep and a Kramer factory rep.
    Kramer had the exclusive rights to the Floyd Rose at the time.

So yea, I have a bit of experience in this area.

Currently I have an American Deluxe Strat with a modern "big block" two point bridge and locking tuners.
    It holds a tune very well under light to moderate use, but to say its as stable as my OFR equipped Jackson RR1 would be foolish.

Forget about the six point bridges, they arent and never were stable.
    Thats why so many pros would remove the four middle screws. Or raise them to the point of taking them out of the equation. Essentially creating a two point bridge.

Forget about comparing a six point to a double locking system.
    The idea that a six point is as stable as a double locking system is just plain silly.

Lubed nut, locking tuners, etc etc, none of these things will get you the stability of a double locking system.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    mshivy, davidKOS and Believer7713 like this.

7. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here