Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Installing those 2-pin fender tuners to a new neck..

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Sc0rch, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sc0rch

Sc0rch Strat-Talker

Dec 22, 2011
    Halifax, NS
    I have an aftermarket neck on the way and want to put the fender tuners I have in my parts bin on it. These tuners have the 2 pins underneath. Is there a template or how-to to properly install these?

Here's what they look like:

[​IMG]

2. Sc0rch

Sc0rch Strat-Talker

Dec 22, 2011
    Halifax, NS

That's cool, but I'm not spending that much just to install tuners ONCE. Any other suggestions?

I'm thinking of a piece of copper shielding tape, mount the tuners, mount/line them all up perfect and just tight enough for the tuners to indent a mark on the tape, remove tuners and drill into the marked indent, remove tape and then reinstall tuners. Think that might work?

3. inkedintville

inkedintville Senior Stratmaster

Nov 10, 2010
    North Carolina
    If you can put the tuner in the hole and get the nut to start you could tighten it just enough to make a dimple then take them out and drill the holes where the dimples are. That's how I would try to do it. I don't think you would really need to use the tape. Maybe just darken the dimple with a pencil to make sure you're where you're supposed to be with the drill.

4. BartS

BartS Strat-Talker

Mar 19, 2013
    MO
    I would make a jig if your not going to buy one.

5. johnny35

johnny35 Strat-Talker

Feb 21, 2012
    Livingston, Scotland
    I did exactly this on my new Warmoth neck. (check out my thread on warmoth/stratosphere necks)
    I used painter's masking tape and lined up all the tuners straight and tightened slightly. Then, removed the tuners and accented the little dents with a ballpoint pen. Leaving the tape on, Then i drilled out the holes very slowly with a cordless screwdriver on a slow speed and carefully with a 2.5mm (3/32inch) drill bit. Holes don't need to be all that deep, wrap a piece of tape round the drill bit as a depth gauge.
    Mine are the 3 tall (E A D strings) and 3 short (G B E strings) versions. I need no string trees as my nut has been professionally cut.
    Take your time and you'll get a good result.
    I'm one of those who refused to spend money on a jig cos i don't like being beat!
    Trust me, I'm a woodworker!