Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

interesting concept about musicians

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by davidKOS, Mar 8, 2018.

1. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I read this in context of a political article I will not link to, so as not to upset any anti-politics rules.

The comment in itself, though, is not political. Iwas made in reference to people that claim professional level ability:

"It is easy to find out who is a REAL professional or just an amateur claiming to be professional but this is only my test, however never failed me so far.
    IF a claim to be a “professional” in any profession plays a musical instrument at an exceptional level, that individual is 99% likely that he/she is a REAL professional. Period. Somehow, the ability to play a musical instrument at an exceptional level is, what separates the boys from the men. Take it or leave it but it never failed me yet."

I'm not sure what to make of it, but it sounds good at first read.

2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday At the Crossroads, now which way do I go Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    i think there are some highly rated professionals that may not play at an "exceptional level". And what's the criteria for "exceptional"? And who decides?

3. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    i think it speaks to an ability to do the groundwork, follow through, and achieve a high standard of proficiency
    at something, attributes which would hopefully transfer to other areas of life.
    i could say something about the 'boys from the men' part, but i will refrain. :p

4. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    I think what I found interesting was using music as a guide to ability in other areas.

5. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    way back in the dark ages, when I started being an engineer, quite a number of companies would hire hardware and software types that had music in their background. They figured we could count and know math.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    People that can play at a high level have to have discipline to put the time in to reach that point.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    The first question I ask a doctor I'm considering seeing is do you play an instrument. If answered affirmatively, the second is who have you played with. One study at Tulane indicates that cardiologists who play an instrument are vastly better at listening to and diagnosing heart issues through a stethoscope...

8. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    When deciding on schools for my kids I always asked first about their music departments. If their answers didn't impress me I ended the discussion then and there.

9. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I'm sure we all know an excellent musician or two who's musical abilities do not translate into being financially sound.

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I think there is more than one type of professional musician.

You have the singer/songwriter type, who may not have a high level of proficiency on their instrument, but they are performers/entertainers, and are in the spotlight.

You also have the professional session/sideman type who has a very high level of proficiency/knowledge on their instrument, and can play anything, any time anywhere, but may never be in the spot light.

Both make their living playing music, so both are technically professional musicians.

11. Fender Bender

Fender Bender Strat-O-Master

Sep 29, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    just my thoughts....

it takes a lot more than ability as a musician to be a "Professional" although that is certainly one characteristic. Some of the important ones are: showing up to a gig on time, dressing professionally, staying sober enough to play a set, gear maintenance (having good quality gear is one thing, but taking care of said gear apparently is another. also applies to cables), being prepared for the set list and communicating effectively with not only the band, but the sound engineer, venue staff, etc, loading in/out in a timely manner, and one of the most important and overlooked qualities, handling unexpected problems or mistakes without letting it throw you off your game.

There are probably a few that I forgot, but that's a decent start to what it takes to be professional. It's as much attitude and work ethic as it is chops.

12. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    It sure is...once you have the chops.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    If in need, call a session man.

14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.

15. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    So you meet someone who tells you they are a professional plumber and you ask them if they are playing any gigs soon????

Boognish and abnormaltoy like this.

16. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    My feeling from the original was that it was more about white collar professionals.

abnormaltoy likes this.

17. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Yea, you would want to know if the plumber had the correct crack or not....

18. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    My old teacher said that being a competent guitarist takes 10 years. Competency, measured by his stick, was to be able to play anything thrown at you, well.

He would also start off his seminars by playing every inversion, voicing, or possible substitution of a single chord and say this:

Dig this. I'm a professional guitarist. It's how I earn my living... I choose to be the best I can possibly be, to be able to play any style of music competently and hopefully with the highest degree of excellence. I'm a studio musician. I could be playing rock one day and Bach the next. I could be playing them both in a single days work. I'm a professional guitarist. What is your goal?

:)

rich724, Ebidis, Biddlin and 2 others like this.

19. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Professional plumber = bagpipes

WhiteWabbit and davidKOS like this.

20. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    Tell 'em HR.

fezz parka likes this.