Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

interesting concept about musicians

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by davidKOS, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I was sort of waiting to see if there'd be any replies to this but my next post would have been something like: "No, I'm not a proffessional engineer. I probably wouldn't get an engineering job in any any other line of business than this one."

You hit the nail on the head there Fezz.

Is it my chosen profession? Nope.
    Do I enjoy the heck out of what I do? Yep :)

davidKOS and fezz parka like this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    I know some guys in the Midwest who get paid very well for their tribute band show. They all have careers in other fields. Would they be professional musicians? Or semiprofessional? ;)

Cerb likes this.

3. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

it seems that what many of the comments on this thread have missed is that the original statement was using musical proficiency as test for other proficiencies... and i think it's accurate, insofar as its an idiosyncratic test...

4. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Well, according to the article that @davidKOS posted they would only be REAL professionals if they play any instruments and play them well :D

davidKOS likes this.

5. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Yes. Although there may be something to it, there are also people that are really good at what they do but don't play an instrument.

I wonder if the theory could be extended to include other "hobbies"? The same reasoning should be applicable to ther activities that require an equal amount of discipline and dedication, windsurfing, skiing, shooting, you name it.

davidKOS and montemerrick like this.

6. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Oh they play really well. But they're semipros, receiving payment for an activity but not relying entirely on it for a living.

T Guitar Floyd, davidKOS and Cerb like this.

7. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    A top mu-si-ci-an!

8. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    That's the employer I need!!! Music doesn't pay too well and getting a steady income is hard to find for people whose only background is art!

davidKOS likes this.

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    Amen.

davidKOS likes this.

10. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    This..

Fender Bender likes this.

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    So he owns a PRS? :whistling:

12. Biddlin

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    For me, music is like my church and a gig, my communion. I have bs'd my way into some well paying jobs, the last one lasted 25 years, mostly heavy lifting, welding, truck driving stuff. I learned to drive dump trucks for a demolition company owned by a young South African immigrant who had made a pretty good start in America. He and his wife came to see me perform with my blues band at a small club. The next Monday he called me into his office and gave me two weeks severance pay. "You cannot risk your hands in this kind of work." I responded, "If I'd known, I wouldn't have played so well." Little did he know that the experience there would lead to my 25 year gig with a major metropolitan public works department. I should also mention that he and his missus have subsequently hired me to play at least two dozen parties at their ranch in the Sierra foothills over the years including the honor of playing for their daughter's engagement party and their own 30th anniversary. I have played professionally since I was 15 and have always gigged in spite of the day job I might have to go to. I was able to support myself solely on music, but the missus and kids required a little less Spartan existence, so I supplemented my music income with square work.

13. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Well, it’s an interesting concept, but I couldn’t help but think of my late dad, who was an excellent and well-respected ophthalmologist. He loved music but didn’t play an instrument.
    So I think it’s a good indicator but perhaps shouldn’t be the only one...

davidKOS likes this.

14. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Was he really good at ahything else?

15. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Yes - golf (don’t laugh! I know it’s a stereotype...). He was pretty good at fixing things, including cars. And he was a good person.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Cerb and fezz parka like this.

16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I agree. I know a lot of people who don't play an instrument. Over the years I've come to feel like people who play a musical instrument are in the minority. And of those who do, I think only few of them would be considered to play at an "exceptional level". For many people, playing a musical instrument is a hobby, and as such, it can go on the back burner when there are are more important things to focus on. I enjoy playing guitar, but admittedly I have not spent enough of my free time to practice guitar to play at an "exceptional" level, but I'm fine with that. I don't think that should be the only indicator of who is a professional. In fact, dedicating so much of one's time to something that is just a hobby is something that I think some people would consider unprofessional.

17. Biddlin

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    [​IMG]
    Albert Einstein- Smart guy and Yale prof.
    [​IMG]
    Howard Barkan-Great statistician and Jazz guitarist
    [​IMG]
    Tom Scholz-Mechanical Engineering BS MS from MIT, Senior project engineer at Polaroid before during and after founding a rock band called "Boston."
    He is also the inventor of the Rockman amp.
    [​IMG]
    Sir Brian May-CBE PhD in astrophysics Imperial College London, Chancellor Liverpool John Moores University 2008-2013 Science team coordinator on NASA'a New Horizons Pluto mission.
    Guitarist for queen, ranked #2 of all time by Guitar World

[​IMG]
    Albert Schweitzer-French-German theologian, organist, writer, humanitarian, philosopher, and physician.
    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."
    Just sayin.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I thought that was Tom Scholz, especially since he was the founder and owner of the Rockman company.

Biddlin likes this.

19. Biddlin

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    You are correct and I will amend the post!

Ebidis likes this.

20. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday At the Crossroads, now which way do I go Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I'm retired. ..... and a hack playing with like minded individuals in the barn. Life is pretty good

gwjensen and Ebidis like this.