Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Interesting Piece on Rosewood Regulations

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by nadzab, Nov 30, 2017.

1. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    I want rosewood boards on all my guitars!

I'm going to change my Tele high gloss maple neck when the frets are done to rosewood. I just prefer it.

Lone Woof likes this.

2. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-Talker

Aug 16, 2009
    Fenderland, CA
    Good article, but I still want a maple neck Pro Series.

3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Yeah I much prefer rosewood over maple.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    "The question of whether guitar makers and owners will be able to trade their instruments more freely will have to wait until the next full CITES conference in 2019."

Well... at least they're looking at it....

I feel the same way the Violinist does.. it really dosen't matter how carefully you meet all the requirements, it still comes down to some Government employee... in a uniform, is some butthole of the planet, making a decision..

I can tint Claro Walnut to look more lime Brazilian Rosewood than a lotta Brazilian Rosewood... it would still be an expensive guitar.. but ship it to Lord Knows Where and it's entirely possible some "grunt" with a 6th grade education will be making the call... or just want a new guitar....

This not only do ya have to be certain the CITIES paperwork is in order, you gotta hope the guy at the other end knows the difference between Walnut and Rosewood... whuddaya thing the changes are, and how easy is it gonna be to rectify a misunderstanding rom 9000 miles away...?

Ron Kirn

dueducs, Nate D, nadzab and 7 others like this.

5. Virgman

Virgman Strat-O-Master

Nov 2, 2012
    Joisey
    Ron, you have hit it on the knob.

The potential for a bureaucratic clusterf*** is huge.

nadzab, Paperback Rocker and vlxerdon like this.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Guitar passports, now there's a nice money making scheme they haven't thought of yet...

Bodean, dueducs, nadzab and 4 others like this.

7. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Strat-O-Master

Jan 31, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    Trust me, they will.

8. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    You know what they are doing with all the rosewood they can´t sell anymore because of CITES?
    They burn it down and sell it as charcoal - I am not(!) joking.
    Hmmmm, that makes me think about how many guitars and fretboards could have been built out of that burned rubbish.
    Thanks to CITES all that rosewood isn´t used for instruments any more.
    Are they satisfied now?
    I bet they find something new to strangle us further.
    What about wood in general? or money? or maybe they can forbid us to play any instruments or drive cars.
    They will find more, I know.
    Every time they ask me I am going to say - no Sir, there´s no rosewood on my guitar.

All the best,
    Robin

9. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

the funniest thing is, they actually think this law will slow down the Chinese import business.

it wont. it will just make it worth more, and most likely result in simply more deaths and other crimes.

Elvie, Bodean, Nate D and 2 others like this.

10. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    There's a person exemption clause in the CITES regs. I keep a copy of it on my iPhone.

Nate D likes this.

11. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

@Robins Well, rosewood charcoal does give the meat a warm mellow flavor. Less bright and sharp than maple charcoal.

Numbercruncher and Robins like this.

12. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    I was aware of ths regultation but How does this really works in theory? sorry if i'm going off topic but I live outside de US... What happens if I visit USA or I just tell someone traveling there to bring me a new guitar? what kind of paperwork I need to have? What if I buy used?
    I'm planning a guitar purchase next year so I need to be updated with this...

Numbercruncher likes this.

13. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    He won't have to know anything. He'll just ASSUME and confiscate your guitar. Or maybe he'll take a core sample for evaluation and you'll get your sampled guitar back in 5 years.

NC

14. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    For a while there was a 10kg exclusion. So if your guitar weighed fewer than 10 kg's you were okay. But since ALL guitars weigh under 10kg's what is the point? Perhaps this part of the legislation is no longer valid.

NC

Bluestrat83 likes this.

15. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Could you explain this further?

dueducs likes this.

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    I'm encouraged to see the healthy, well placed skepticism associated with this fake, fiat CITES movement shared in this thread. And it is a movement, going against any and all acceptable natural and civil behavior that would in fact protect and preserve a threatened specie, plant or anything.

If they really wanted to protect something and slow down *harmful* harvest, just naturally let the market put a damn premium on scarce [insert threatened organic product here]. That's all. The market will auto-correct any and all consumption, human behavior, or any other behavior. The Path Of Least Resistance - works for humans or electrons.

But, they know that, so the only explanation is intention for a hidden reason. Given their refusal to change their direction, the INVERSE response that is going on to these actions, harmful harvesting is INCREASING, and the increase in products VALUE its creating, I've got to think the actual response is really the hidden intended response - higher values. And its not just about guitars - the largest most expensive items made of BRW is antique furniture. We know auctioneers, collectors and the antiquity market are highly currupt, and well funded, been caught thousands of times thru-out history. And the environmentalists are just willing dupes, exploited and don't know it. That's my theory.

Numbercruncher and bolognahead like this.

17. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That sounds to me like a gross over-simplification of the situation. It's easy to see a cynical plot behind stuff like this, even if it isn't there.

The way I see it is that CITES was a worthy attempt to solve a real problem. Unfortunately it seems that it wasn't thought through as fully as it should have been before it was introduced. That's probably due to lack of consultation with affected user groups - such as guitarists! And that's because powerful organisations, from big businesses to government agencies, tend to be too arrogant to consult with those who they believe know less than they do.

It's not exactly unusual for a new policy or practice to solve one problem and cause another. That's what I think we are seeing here. The problem is more complex & has greater ramifications than the people who came up with it had originally predicted.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    That's a rational put. And it was popular 20 years ago, when I had already lost confidence in CITES, following this drama for 30 years now. Nobody is this stupid, for this long, with folks coming and going, etc. In this case, the facts can't be interpreted any other way with 20 years of sustained actions, and response opposite of the mission statement, and no change at all in philosophy or approach. More than obvious. I don't believe it for one second, but it you are correct, its just incompetence, then they need to be disbanded immediately and replaced before they destroy what's left of these threatened species. But that would have been obvious 10, 20 years ago. Again, more than obvious whats going on.

The only difference that can be made, is for you and I to smarten up, and not let these folks dupe us, over and over and over again, getting wealthy and powerful, while you and I fund/enable it.

bolognahead likes this.

19. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    You are allowed to carry personal items that contain rosewood. Can’t expect the customs officers to know all the regs so I keep that clause handy.

Article VII of the Convention
    Section 3:
    The provisions of Articles III, IV and V shall not apply to specimens that are personal or household effects