Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Interesting Video - A Look Inside the NEW Marshall JCM 800 Studio 20 watt

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Textele, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    No conventional potentiometers for knobs? Not sure I've ever seen that in an amp.

Inside the amp content starts at about the one minute mark.....

Robins likes this.
  2. Textele

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    The Mini Jubilee has regular pots.....

3. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    Those are the same sort of pots found in the Class 5. They're not flimsy as the video maker thinks, the metal parts on the sides protrude through the board, anchoring them to it, and they are secured to the control panel with nuts, totally fine.

4. Textele

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Curious how one would clean them if they got scratchy/dirty.

5. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    I'm pretty sure they are sealed.

6. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Alpha pots made in Taiwan. Not a bad choice in the end.
    I speak for all Marshall amps made in the ´80s - I have to clean all of those pots and most of them I have to replace including those really bad cliff jacks for in and output of the amp(s). The PCBs aren´t really great resoldering for the 2nd and 3rd time (tracks peel off).

In the new amps the tubes sockets are first quality, chassis as well.
    Sure, the transformer(s) are smaller - they just have to handle about 20W output max. (it is less actually).
    The PCB is better than in the original ones, trust me.
    The connectors can and will be a problem sooner or later but they are well made (cables and dressing better than original amps) and it is an easy job just clipping off and soldering the cables directly to the PCBs.

Yes, the original JCM800 amps are sturdy but their weak points always had been the jacks, pots and PCB. Fact.
    Right at the moment the new amps are (too) expensive in my opinion. But not many makers still deliver well made housings and strong steel chassis like Marshall.
    They are made with proud in England and they have "that" Marshall sound. What else can we hope for?
    The transformers look familiar but still I could not find out the maker - I have a guess but I am not sure about that.
    But I am pretty positive they are made by Dagnall (yes, still in the business).

I like those little MoFos xD

All the best,
    Robin

Textele likes this.
  7. Stratomike

Stratomike Strat-Talk Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Vienna
    Actually I have replaced all the pots of my Jubilee few years back. Well, all but the 'tandem' pot, that was impossible to get. Does the reissue have the same one? Must be accessible then...

Anyway, I had the impression that the PCB was super sturdy. I'm a "casual solderer" and I had no problems here.

I think for the money the new series in question is fine. Actually I am considering buying the mini Plexi. Would I love to see a more "boutique" construction? Hell yeah. Would I pay boutique prices? Rather not.

The-Kid likes this.