Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Introduction and Fender Player Series colour choice dilemma

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gutshank, Oct 11, 2018.

1. gutshank

gutshank Strat-Talk Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Poland
    Hello fellow Strat-Talkers!

Since this is my first post, a word of introduction seems to be in order! I'm a long-time lurker of this forum, but decided to finally chime in. I play for my own enjoyment, mostly 80s hard & heavy stuff.

I started playing the guitar like 15 years ago, on and off, so I don't consider myself a great guitarist, but well... playing makes me happy. My first electric was a cheapo Chinese Marquis stratocaster in Lake Placid blue, which was decent enough to learn how to play. Now it is owned by my brother, who put Dimarzio Malmsteen's set in it ;). Later, I switched to Jackson DK2 (sold it to my other bro) and finally got a '93 ESP M-II Custom NTB to satisfy my superstrat craze ;). Fast forward several years, and I feel that Floyd Rose got me stuck in E standard tuning, and a lot of songs I like are in Eb tuning. It was a hassle for me to retune FR, so I started thinking about a new guitar. As you can probably guess, I have a soft spot for Starts, so that was my first choice :p About a month ago I snatched a good deal on a Squier VM 70s strat and fell in love with maple necked Fenders. My yet another brother (yeah, I've got three of 'em lol) expressed interest in buying the Squier, since it is in mint condition and VERY well-made (I feel like the Indonesians are stepping up their game). Thus, an opportinity arises for me to upgrade to a 'real' Fender. I'd like to purchase a new Player Strat, either in Polar White (i looove Iron Maiden and Adrian Smith's white Jackson) or Buttercream, which looks really good too and has this Malmsteen-esque vibe to it. Sometimes I feel that white strat looks kinda bland, at other times I'm just drooling at this classic look.

What are your opinions? ;) Perhaps it will help me make up my mind.

Here are my babies ;)
    IMG_20180904_181152.jpg

Best regards,
    Simon

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    circles likes this.
  2. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talk Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Nenc
    You can never go wrong with a burst. Never gets old or outdated. Like a good ole pair of jeans

HMZ2018 and circles like this.
  3. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    Would take white over butter. Wayne knows.

[​IMG]

circles and spizike231 like this.
  4. gutshank

Oct 11, 2018
    Poland
    Truth be told, out of all the colours available, the Aged Cherry Burst is my favourite. Regular sunburst - not so much, although I have a lot of respect for this classic colour. Unfortunately, ACB player strats are much more expensive (in Poland at least) than the rest, so I guess I need to narrow the choice down to solid colours.

0144562531_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

circles likes this.
  5. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Yellow grew on me, but wasn't really the first color I'd have gone for. The feel made the choice for me.
    White is kinda baseline, but I still have one.

When you close your eyes, which one do you see first?
    Go for that one.

Erm... but maybe it's worth it to you? I mean, it's not that much more cash...

6. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    Gotta go white.

If possible, slap a mint pickguard on that puppy and play the hell out of it.

Welcome man

gutshank likes this.
  7. gutshank

Oct 11, 2018
    Poland
    Well, here it is almost 1/3 more expensive than the solid colour SSS strat. I simply cannot justify shelling out that much extra dough for (basically) the same axe. Besides that would bring me dangerously close to the second hand USA strats ;)

There is another option, to buy a second hand 2010 Mexico FSR in supposedly mint condition. However, it was upgraded with aftermarket pickups from an obscure Polish producer. I can imagine that someone would upgrade for the better, not worse though. All in all, it would be slightly cheaper than new Player series. It has a slightly similar, aesthetically appealing type of burst, nice spaghetti logo, but 21 frets and 6 screw trem.

Then again, for a few bucks more I'd be getting a brand new guitar, with major improvements over the mexican standard. I feel that is the better option.

Screenshot_2018-10-11-16-14-58-944_pl.allegro.jpg

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I would keep the Squier and maybe just make changes to pickups.....the quality IMHO is as good as the new Player Series, just with different type of bridge and tuners....maybe you could upgrade your tremolo to a big block Mexico Standard Strat type too.....would cost much less!

9. gutshank

Oct 11, 2018
    Poland
    Yep, I've been considering that solution. It does have numerous advantages ;) However, I suffered a major GAS attack and the fact that I turned 30 a couple of months ago is not helping me either. I've always dreamed of having an actual Fender and now is the time I can afford it. Not that Squier is lacking in any aspect...it's an awesome axe.

10. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    welcome to the forum

I think color is kind of like beauty- so get what YOU like

gutshank likes this.
  11. gutshank

Oct 11, 2018
    Poland

Truer words have never been spoken. However, I'd still like to hear your take on the subject, guys ;)

Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Yeeeah no, not really. It's different. The Bridge tone is nice, the additional fret is nice, the 2-point is nice... and I'd take a Standard over it all day long.

If you prefer the design choices on the Player, it is, by all means, the superior guitar in this case.
    But don't feel like the Std is inferior outside of that.

I'd probably go for a Player if I was looking to buy new and nobody had Standards left.
    But 1/3 for the flame… nah, maybe not.

The Tidepool Strat with the Pau Ferro fretboard is nice... oh wait.

13. gutshank

Oct 11, 2018
    Poland
    Yeah, I edited the quoted part because I noticed there is a thread like that already. I wonder why they opted not to offer particular finishes with both fretboards. Especially that e.g. pau ferro is available on HSH butter but not SSS.

I do prefer the specs on Player series. It may have sth to do with the fact that I played floyded superstrats exclusively for over 10 years. Thus, 22 frets and 2 point trem seem superior to me.

I started appreciating the stratty cleans and alnico pups are a plus. Given the styles I play, I'd undoubtedly swap the bridge pickup for hot rails or sth similar, but I'd like to keep the rest of single coils and the SSS aesthetic. Possibly, I'd add splitting to the humbucker.

14. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I started replying before the edit, sorry! :D

I'd have gone for the TP/ PF one Right away if indeed it existed...

Then the Player is right for you! :thumb:

Trouble is, I could get used to any color in the range, so I can't give any sincere recommendation.
    If you feel the same... then we're stuck.

gutshank likes this.
  15. gutshank

Oct 11, 2018
    Poland
    That's ok, the more input, the better :D I must say that tidepool looks tidy as well, especially if I imagine it with 3 ply b-w-b pickguard :) On the other hand, sonic red would benefit from maple fb, but it's not an option.

If everything else fails, you can find a person with different preferences, and swap the necks ;)

I noticed that polar white (e.g. presented on Sweetwater website) looked kinda meh due to bright background. Yet, it is better in video footage, like Dawson's demo on YT. White was my first choice, perhaps I should stick with it.