Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is a 62 with a refin, new pots and refret worth it?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by nigelr, Oct 25, 2017.

1. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Hi, Serious question to you vintage experts.

I have been offered a '62 which has been refinished (at least once), had a refret to Jumbo frets and has 2 non original pickups, 1 non original tone pot. So basically the difference between this and a CS reissue is old wood and old tuners. The price in dollars would be around 10k.

How much "mojo" is in the old wood, or is it not worth it?

I need a great strat as a workhorse player not as an investment, so I think a CS reissue would be a better option. What do you guys think?

I have a near 1000 mile round trip to try the guitar, so I'm thinking of giving it a miss.

2. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Well, my opinion. Save your money for the CS or better yet, a masterbuild.
    I've purchased my only refin Pre-CBS guitar last summer for less than $8k, which was all original in parts but had a refinished body and neck and the wrong decal.
    There is a lot of mojo in the woods, but as well in the electronics. If you pay that amount for only 1/2 of it, it isn't worth it. My 2cts.

3. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

For that price & your description of the guitar and your needs, I would agree that a CS axe would better suit your needs. For me, the '62 you describe seems to be a $5K guitar at best, but perhaps others may say differently. However, there's that psychological elephant on the table (mojo), which makes us pay way too much for things we find mojo-ish.
    all this coming form a guy who has never had the pleasure to own a pre-CBS magic maker, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

4. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Yeah, I think you're right, I think I'll sit tight for a while.

5. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    I see old guitars like old cars. While having been restored/refinished, can be okay nothing beats original in great shape. Thus the more original the higher the tag due to rarity.

1 A refret is okay, but to me must be redone to original specs
    2 Pots go out so not a huge deal there
    3 When you say refinish, do you mean body paint and neck finish? If so what was used? (Either way that kills it, I'd rather have used factory paint than new.)

Other than that for 10k, I'd want the parts taken off , at least to have but that still won't fix anything if the guitar has been repainted. Then again, it might be different depending on when it was redone and by whom.

Need pics, lol.

6. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    I always look at the value of the seperate parts that are genuine. $5K is rather low and with that price you would have a good deal if you strip it and sell the parts.

While I understand your reasoning, I do not agree.
    1. I can understand, but whoever will play the guitar can put whatever he (or she) prefers. The guitar isn't original anymore to start with, it doesn't affect the resell price, so better have what you really like. I would choose vintage specs, but not everybody thinks alike.
    2. To me the pots are a huge deal. The older are better, no doubt about it. Also, today everybody wants the guitar to be as close to the original as possible. The pots sell for a hell lot of money. It increases the value for a refin if they are all present and functioning.
    3. We are talking about refins here, factory paint is not even a factor to consider here or it should be a factory refinish (very little out there) Also, the paint doesn't affect the sound in anyway unless you put 1" of poly on it. This is merely aesthetics and if you are looking at this in the very first place (not considering the original finishes, which should put you in another ballpark) you are definitely not talking about the mojo of these guitars but only about the looks.

7. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    I think paint makes a huge deal, because that is the first thing that throws out it's not original anymore. It may not affect sound but it does affect value. I always assume a repaint means hiding something, may not be true but you never know.

Having been refret and using non-factory sizes changes value too. The pots are expensive but I can overlook being replaced (if done with quality and taste) because they do go out.

Then no matter what's been changed, I'd want as much (or all) of the original parts/pieces as possible no matter condition, to at least have. I think it is all a factor to consider when the seller is asking a 10K price for a guitar that has been "messed" with.

The more that has been done the less I'd want to spend, there's just too many people faking things out there. You and I maybe looking at it different ways but I think we both have the same conclusion, 10K just don't sound right at all, lol.

8. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    For that price you can buy 5 CBS guitars. I know that they have a bad reputation but there are some real gems to be had as well.

savofenno likes this.

9. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    Non-original pickups are a big deal to me. That's half the "mojo" (hate that word, but for lack of better). Something I'm also picky about is potentially bad refrets and the fretboard being sanded too thin. The OP doesn't mention if it's a slab board or lam board. If the latter, I would personally hesitate to even give 5,000 for it. I know others may, but at that point I rather spend 1,500-2,000 more for a refin 64 or 65 that's mostly there. It takes some time to find them, but they're out there.

10. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    I would go CS even more if you want a guitar to play not for personal collection.

savofenno likes this.

11. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    Most shops I've seen listing guitars of that description have them in the 6-8K range, and they do tend to stick around a while....

fezz parka likes this.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

That is a lot of cash for a dubious pedigree.

Old wood is just .. old. It's not magical. If you had the stories of all the owners from when it came out of the factory, even if no owner was famous, to while away the hours at the pub with buddies it could be fun and valuable.

How about buying two consecutive serial numbered modern high end normal factory guitars (not CS), put one away as a case queen and the other is your daily driver workhorse. Save any original parts you swap out. They would be cool in a few years as collector guitars and you'd have some stories.

13. alnicopu

alnicopu Strat-Talk Member

May 10, 2009
    georgia
    There was one on CL a while back, “pre-cbs strat all original”. Clicked on it and about the only thing original left was one pot and the body. It even had a “period correct” replacement neck on it. Theres one born everyday.

savofenno likes this.

14. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Thanks to everyone for their replies, I will give this one a miss and wait for a good looking used CS to appear locally.

rolandson likes this.

15. ripgtr

ripgtr Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    That would kill it for me. I don't care much about the other stuff. A refin would cut the price in half more or less so as a player, it means cheaper.
    Frets - my 60 is on its fourth set.
    I have the original tone pots,but the volume pot has been replaced twice.
    Consumables pretty much, as those are parts that wear out.
    So, for a players guitar, not a big deal.
    But the pickups? Yea, those are where the sound is made, big deal to me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    jstewart and fezz parka like this.

16. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I'd play it - see if it feels like it needs to be yours. Then you can figure out a proper pricing - $10K might be a bit high, $5K is probably too low.

If it feels 'okay' to you but not desperately wonderful, a CS would be a better buy.

17. archetype

archetype Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    I agree with the suggestions that CS would be a better value if you want a player. I'd suggest you also look at the AV Strats. They might not have the Nth degree of finish work that a CS gets, but most of them approach the CS models in terms of wood, hardware, and quality, and are a lot of value for your money.

18. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I think you've made the right decision. Once you committed to a journey of 1,000 miles, you would so want to believe that the guitar you ended up seeing was 'the one', you'd probably buy it regardless. Even old Fenders guitars aren't unique, just a little rarer, and a whole lot more expensive! No need to buy the first one you come across – or indeed, buy one at all.

The whole vintage market is so unpredictable right now, it's hard to say what is a wise investment and what isn't. The upper end of the CS output is probably better built than the originals ever were, their value in the market is pretty well established, and you can also choose the specs you really want without feeling you've vandalised part of our musical heritage.

Even solid electric guitars change with age and playing, but I can't swallow the premium they're asking for that these days.

19. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    if what you want is a
    ...that's not it

20. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    For me it would have to have the original pickups.

Guitar0621 likes this.