Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is famous pre-owned gear worth top dollar?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Mipstoo, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    IMG_0873.JPG

xland and Ebidis like this.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Let's not get hasty and assume I said $1M. I never actually specified a million what exactly. :whistling:

xland likes this.

3. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Wait-a-minute ... we need the "rest of the story" here.
    How does a guitar go from being on tour with a major artist straight into the pawnshop ?

4. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    He said "a well known country artist". That could be a guy who lives in the country, and paints scenic landscapes.

Biddlin and s5tuart like this.

5. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    I think both these items are fraud. First, regarding the JB tweed amp, he collects them. I'd bet money he has never sold one of them. Moreover, where is evidence? Where are certificates of authenticity? Hell, a Bob Dylan guitar was certified as the one he used to "go electric" and you can tell it's clearly not the same guitar and it sold for a million dollars.

6. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Just watched an interview with JB yesterday wherein he stated something to the effect that he is a collector, and he has certain mint museum pieces that he keeps and will never touch, but anything else can get traded or sold to get the next thing.

He said that he just recently started using different amps, and sold the Twins that he was using, because they were no longer working for what he wants now.

So that amp could very well be legit, but it ain't worth anywhere near $100K.

7. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    Even still, without COA, only an idiot would pay that sort of scratch. Even with COA, I can't see spending that on a Bonamassa amp. He's a great musician. I love his music, but he isn't iconic. If the Stevie guitar proved to be real, I could see $100K for it. He was an icon in blues and pop culture and influenced a lot more people than Joe B.

Mipstoo, craigh and Ebidis like this.

8. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I fully agree with you. But even the guitar (if it actually belonged to him) is not one of SRV's iconic Strats. I could not see paying that much for a guitar that he just owned.

If it was Number One... maybe... someone would pay even more, but not me. Mostly because I couldn't afford it.

Mipstoo likes this.

9. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    I'd think a Stevie guitar would fetch $100K. Lenny sold for over $600K. Number one would surely clear a million.

10. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. ;)

I have slightly overpayed for a couple of guitars or amps before, but only because I really liked them.

11. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    That is true. It's worth how badly you want it if you're the buyer. I'll be curious what happens to number one when Jimmy dies. Rumor is when Fender examined it he wouldn't let it leave his sight. I'm honestly surprised they didn't bury it with SRV. Makes me wonder what happened to Lucille.
    I loved BB. His long time guitarist, Leon Warren died a few years before BB. His guitar was auctioned off and sold for like $1500. I would've paid more for that guitar. I remember watching Leon play that very guitar and being in awe. I'd love to know who bought it.

Ebidis likes this.

12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    There are two kinds of "celebrity owned" gear - 1) The kind where the celebrity will be "nobody" when all the original fans have... expired. 2) The kind where three generations from now, kids will think it's cool to listen to his/her music.

Don't pay top dollar for #1. Go ahead with #2.

Good luck figuring that out though.

Ebidis likes this.

13. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Doesn't this answer sort of contradict itself? You say the prices are ridiculous, but then say there are only certain players that are "worth" those exact prices.
    So who decides on who those players are? Isn't that somewhat subjective?

14. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA

15. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Perfectly explained.
    SRV, Jimi, Clapton, Page,... Are probably tier 1.

16. Malurkey

Malurkey Strat-O-Master

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    There is of course a proper answer on how electromagnetic waves get scattered by the molecules in the air, but the following analogy is useful:

Blue light has a wavelength that is about half as short as red light. Relative to the light a molecule in the air is twice as big for blue light than for red light. So where red light encounters a pebble, blue light encounters a boulder.

When one properly does the maths, a wavelength that is twice as short gets scattered 16 times as hard.

Believer7713 likes this.

17. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Nate posted a good question, are there any pics of Stevie with this guitar? Very little in the description to go on and especially that they want you to plunk down 125,000 of your hard earned dollars!

Nate D likes this.

18. Biddlin

Biddlin Strat-O-Master

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    You obviously don't know the economics of musicianship.

Uncle Bob likes this.

19. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    More ammo to my argument that it's a fraud. Stevie used several guitars. There are pictures and videos of him playing them all. Much has been written about his instruments. There is no mention of backup guitars that never got played in the literature. In fact, I doubt SRV would own a playable guitar and never use it.

20. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Well I couldn't find any pics of him with it. I guess I could email the seller and see what he has to say, but I'm not buying the guitar and I really don't care what he'll say.:rolleyes:

T Guitar Floyd likes this.