Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is famous pre-owned gear worth top dollar?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Mipstoo, Sep 8, 2017.

1. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog Whisperer. Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    i'd rather Stevie was still here and able to be sharing his musical gifts with us.

crashbelt, Mipstoo and candyapple1964 like this.

2. ripgtr

ripgtr Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    To me? No. Ok, yea, 5 bucks, I'd pay an extra 5 bucks.

And speaking of SRV guitars, my buddy played bass for him back in the late 70s (early DT). He got his '60 P appraised, because of this connection, he said they added on several thousand dollars to the estimate. SRV may not have even touched this bass (who knows, he may have played it. I've played it. Freakin' great bass). So, yea , it gets kind of strange "this was in the room with someone famous so it is worth more". go figure.

craigh likes this.

3. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    That is good news for me. My guitars have been on stage with some stars... Never in their hands, but close proximity... They even play better since...

4. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Wayne, if you can't find a picture . . . probably doesn't exist! :)
    Bye the way, are you and Nate D, related?

5. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    I think the seller should take it apart and look at the electronics...it may gives us insight of what Caps SRV used in his #1 and answer the question on the other thread! :whistling::sneaky:

Ebidis likes this.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    but... but... but... it's not... you can't... we don't... never mind. :whistling:

7. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Who? Nate Diaz of the UFC?:D Hardly, but he's my favorite UFC fighter! He kicked Coner McGregors ass in that second fight, the judges are a-holes.:mad:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    T Guitar Floyd likes this.

8. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Ha Ha ha! :D

Wayne D. likes this.

9. ripgtr

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    Yea, I've backed up some name people over the years. Problem is, It was ME playing the guitars, so I think that makes them less valuable, lol.

10. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    I wasn't talking about backing up big names... We just happened to be on the same podium. Now that I've come to think of it, It wasn't necessarily on the same time... :D

11. ripgtr

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    Lol, same stage? Yea, I got pretty much everyone.
    Cow Palace - Beatles (I think we had the same dressing rooms)
    Wildhorse - pretty much everyone in country.
    Roxy and Whisky - pretty much everyone in rock.
    ;-)

12. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    That must have been the gig from hell.

On celebrity/player owned guitars and gear.

I've seen it come and go through the years and never felt the need to jump in, but I'll admit to two things.

In the late eighties, a guy I know came up with a Hiwatt 100 documented as having been owned by Townsend, with good provenance.

He was willing to do a trade for a particular J bass I owned. I loved the idea, but another amp I'm not going to use was a bad idea and I passed. He eventually sold it for a chunk and where it is today I have no idea, but had I traded that J and then sold the amp for what he got for it I'd be waaay ahead of the game. I'm happy that I kept my J though.

A local professional bass player of my acquaintance that I admire greatly was an SWR endorser years back and they were throwing gear at him like there was no tomorrow. He in turn gave me a Bass 750 head they had given to him. It means quite a bit that he passed it on to me, and he never got bent that I kept using my Mesa 400 (Tubes do it better) I'll be keeping the SWR just because -I'll never use it, it's not really valuable in the collector's world, but it means a hell of a lot to me.

The issue of value is fluid wrt guitars. George Gruhn noted that when Bloomfield played a Tele, everybody wanted a Tele. When he switched to the Goldtop you couldn't give a Tele away and everybody wanted the Goldtop - I'm far from being as knowledgeable as Gruhn, but I'll testify in court that in the mid-to-late 1970's you could buy pre CBS and pre 1970 CBS Telecasters for at or under $200.00. Esquires closer to $100.00, at pawnshops all over the place.

I was lucky enough to afford a few when I found them. Strats and LP's were a different proposition, but stuff like Gibson Firebirds and Pelham blue SG's were way affordable and in some cases after the thing sat there for a year or two it was a real buyer's market. My guitarist bought one of those SG's for $100.00 out the door, no sales tax, with case. I really wish I had kept the one 'Bird I bought, but you live and learn.

Wayne D. and craigh like this.

13. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    He told me a few stories ... But I could tell he was very fond of Buddy.

14. craigh

craigh Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    US
    A friend of mine played on the same stage as The Beatles in 1964.

15. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    As far as I know, John's original Ric was smashed to pieces when it fell off the roof-rack of a car onto the motorway (highway, if you prefer), so no-one is ever going to own it. The story has it that when Lennon discovered it was no longer on top of the car, he said to the driver: "If you get that guitar back, I'll give you a special bonus." "What's that?" asked the driver. "You'll still have your job," said Lennon.

Sadly, as they drove the route again, they kept seeing odd pieces of wood, as many cars had driven over his guitar.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a guitar 'just like John's', but they certainly charge a premium compared to a similar guitar that doesn't have the association.

16. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Hi Simon that was George's second Gretsch Country Gentlemen that fell off the lorry. George's first one he used on the Ed Sullivan show he gave to the guitarist in the Fourmost who traded it in for something back in the late 60's, and no one knows who has that one now.
    John's Ric325V58 is still with us. It was over in a museum in Tokyo last I heard.:)
    (*the reason I know all this stuff is because I'm reading the book 'Beatles Gear' Ultimate Edition right now! ....Excellent book btw!!)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

17. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    If he was, he was a constituency of one.

If you don't know what the bus tapes are, you should. As great a drummer as he was, BR was a bully of unbelievable proportions, up to and including physical threats where they were in no way justifiable.

Grabbing a player and threatening to break their arm is not what I'd consider good band leadership skills.

I would never consider denigrating his skills as a player, but as a human being he wasn't much.

18. Bluebird_12

Bluebird_12 Strat-Talker

Feb 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I think a guitar that is custom-built for a well-known player certainly adds more value, more so than one that has just been played by them.

GC THead X008 Dec 2015.jpg

19. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I learned a longggg time ago that forming an opinion of someone based on someone else's is never a good idea ...I never met the man so I can't judge him .

Wayne D. likes this.

20. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Especially a reporter that is writing an article or review about him. He may have kept the reporter waiting around too long for his interview so the reporter writes he was a jerk, another reporter says he was the greatest person that ever lived! Just use Dylan as an example.:D:)