Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is it Alder?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by DrOctagon, Jan 18, 2012.

1. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Strat-Talk Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

From a 2004(?) Squier Affinity Strat. Made in Indonesia, I've heard these are either agathis or alder, anyone know for sure by looking at it? Emailed fender but haven't heard back yet.

2. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Doesn't look like alder to me. Alder usually has much finer grain.

I'm not sure what agathis looks like, though.

3. DrOctagon

I didn't think it looked like alder either but I've seen lots of people on forums say the Affinity's made in Indonesia at this time were alder. And it doesn't really look agathis from pictures I've seen of it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mw13068

It could be some other wood entirely. I owned a Squier for a long time that didn't really match any set of factory specifications I found. Different color, different neck profile, etc.

I think some Squiers are experiments. What it all comes down to is: Do you like it?

That's all that matters.

6. DrOctagon

Well, it was my first guitar so I do have some sentimental attachment. I mainly want to mod it but am wondering if it would be worth it

7. mw13068

Ah! The ultimate question!

If you really like the feel of the neck, then I'd say yes. The profile and finish of the neck are very important, and for me, that determines whether I keep (and mod) a guitar or not.

8. DrOctagon

It's really light too, well a lot lighter than my (pine?) CV50's Tele. If I took a picture of the neck pocket would anyone be able to identify the wood?

9. DrOctagon

Well the neck's in pretty bad shape, I was thinking about putting a MIM neck on it. I don't want to resell it so the diminishing returns factor is not an issue, I got this guitar as a gift years ago and just wanted to fix it up but want to see if the body is even good enough to use as a base for mods, basically.

10. mw13068

If the neck isn't in good shape, then I'd leave this Squier in it's current state and spend that mod money elsewhere.

I spent about $300 modding a Squier one time only to find that the neck profile was not to my liking.

11. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right! Strat-Talk Supporter

Agathis is Asian alder. If it's alder, then that's just agathis from another place. If it's agathis, then it's alder from Asia.

Any questions?

12. El Capo

El Capo Strat-Talker

Yes, in what way is it Asian Alder? They are not related, Agathis is a softwood from coniferous trees wheresas Alder is a hardwood and from the birch family.

Do they build CV's from pine? Never knew pine was used for guitarbodies, seems to be more and more softwood be used in production these days.

13. sfcmark

sfcmark Strat-O-Master

Not the CV Strats (they're Alder), but yes, the CV50 Teles are made of pine like the first Esquires.

14. El Capo

El Capo Strat-Talker

Cheers, I assume it's well seasoned/aged pine? Never knew they used it for Esquires thought they were ash, was it just the first few hundred truss-rodless models that were pine?

15. crowhue

crowhue Strat-Talk Member

Nice grain though. Is it heavy?

16. sfcmark

sfcmark Strat-O-Master

I doubt there's a hard figure available for the actual number. The prototype and the earliest production models were made from laminated pine from the amplifier shop. The switch from white on a laminated 1 1/2" pine body to blonde finish on 1 3/4" Ash happened before the truss rod was added. There were only 60 Esquires shipped in 1950 between the pine and ash versions.

Vintage Guitars Collector - Fender collecting vintage guitars fender, stratocaster, strat, telecaster, tele

There's an awesome build thread on a replica of the "Snakehead" prototype over at TDPRI right now.

17. DrOctagon

Thanks and no its very light.

18. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

If it is an Affinity, the body is not a good base for mods due to them being only 1-1/2" thick instead of the Fender standard 1-3/4" thickness. Things like a full size trem block will not fit into a thin body like that.

19. BHighkin

BHighkin Senior Stratmaster

It could be basswood. Cheap, but still good.

20. Ledbetter82

Ledbetter82 Strat-O-Master

Sometimes the wood of the local varieties are used in these types of guitars. Whatever they are cutting down in the local woods and lumbering possibly

21. Fiddler

Fiddler Strat-Talk Member

Just got my first Basswood Guitar , an '80s MIJ Squier Strat.

Put my Fender Sienna Ash bodied Strat back in the Case and locked it !!

This old Squier is amazing. If typical of Basswood , my first choice .

From Wikipedia :Ease of working and good acoustic properties also make it popular for electric guitar and bass bodies and wind instruments such as recorders. In the past, it was typically used (along with Agathis) for less-expensive models. However, due to its better resonance at mid and high frequency, and better sustain than alder, it is now more commonly in use with the "superstrat" type of guitar. It can also be used for the neck because of its excellent material integrity when bent and ability to produce consistent tone without any dead spots, according to Parker Guitars. In the percussion industry, Tilia is sometimes used as a material for drum shells, both to enhance their sound and their aesthetics.