Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is it possible to find a decent acoustic for under $200

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ocean, Nov 15, 2017.

1. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    Definitely. The biggest problem in that price range is quality control. You can pick up 10 "identical" guitars and they'll range from absolute crap to perfectly decent.

The trick is patience, and trying lots of instruments.

And as someone above said, beginners don't know nothing about what makes a guitar good. When I bought my first guitar, it was really helpful to have someone who was experienced help me pick. I'd play to see how it felt, and he'd play so I could hear what it would sound like when I knew something, and he was able to help me with things like figuring out when a good guitar just needed a new set of strings, versus when the instrument was actually manufactured poorly.

ocean likes this.

2. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Recording King Dirty Thirties seconded.

3. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Not necessarily easy. But I vote for the Yamamha FG.

ocean likes this.

4. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    I agree Recording King is a decent guitar, or a Jim Dandy parlor.

Epiphone DR 100 isn't the worst guitar for a $100 either, may have to hold a few to find a good one or use the extra money to have the action lowered. Most of the ones I've tried are high.

Then there's the Fender CD-60S, all mahogany. For $199.99 new has laminate sides BUT, a solid top, not a bad price from a name brand.

Used there's a load of choices, I'd definitely look for at least a solid top and stay away from Cedar, too soft IMO unless strictly finger picking.

ocean likes this.

5. LPBlue

LPBlue Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    Great inexpensive guitar! I was very fortunate to get mine for $2...you heard me right, $2! I did a swap with a buddy and fellow vintage home audio collector for a 1958 Fisher stereo power amp that I had picked up a long time ago at a flea market for $2. He bought the Taylor as a 40th b'day gift to himself with the intent of learning to play but "it made his fingers hurt".

The guitar was brand new and an 04 model which was the last year of USA production!:cool: Taylor started making that line in Mexico in 05. Luck was on my side (for a change) that day.:D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Paperback Rocker and TomH8 like this.

6. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    absolutely!... I got a brand new Ibanez AW400 Solid wood acoustic/electric brand new off musiciansfriend for $200... I also have a fender acoustic I got for $100 used and a Lucero nylon I got new for $129 that plays beautifully... it makes absolutely no sense for a brand new player to buy anything more that $100-200.. tell him to get a nylon string, much easier on fingers who aren't used to playing, also the larger fret board is great for practice... these are just my opinions... check craigslist, letgo, offerup... I just got my buddy an Ibanez acoustic/electric for $70.. it's not great but it was good enough for him to use at an open mic that the audience enjoyed

ocean likes this.

7. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Yamaha

Yamaha

Yamaha

ocean and apm1991 like this.

8. mduganjr

mduganjr Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2016
    Covington, Louisiana
    Every now and again I'll see a used Epiphone Masterbuilt around that price. They play surprisingly well. But just like someone said, I've played a few I loved.. and others not as much.

ocean likes this.

9. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Yeah, every time a new kid student comes to me and his parents just bought him an $80 steel string, I weep a little inside. And I start lobbying for them to get them a Squier and a little amp.

LeicaBoss likes this.

10. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah, your first guitar should be one you're going to pick up and play. Everything else is secondary. My son is currently infatuated with ugly-ass pointy green BC Riches. And if that what he still wants when he's old enough to play, that's what he will get.

ocean and Paperback Rocker like this.

11. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    an Epi Masterbilt for $200 is a steal... I'd buy that right now.. It's a nice guitar imo, not worth the price it is brand new though

Paperback Rocker and mduganjr like this.

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    The AAW 400 is a good guitar but it is not all solid wood. It's a solid top and laminate back and sides. I too started on a nylon string, much better for the fingers and you are correct about the extra spacing between strings making it easier to learn on.

The Masterbuilts are around $670 new (and you can get 15 % discount coupons all the time). IMO this is very much worth the price for an all solid wood guitar. With Taylor you have to get to the 300 series (around $1,600+) before you get all solid wood. With Martin your in the $1,200+ range. I will never get rid of my Martin OM-21 but if I wanted a solid wood acoustic to take to the beach and campouts and not worry about damage the Epi would be at the top of my list. At that price even if it only lasted me 5 years I would feel I got my moneys worth out of it.

13. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    Bingo. It wasn't until I got my purple Ibanez grg guitar with a Floyd Rose for $75 that was really able to make any progress with the instrument.

14. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I looked long and hard for an acoustic/electric I could do gigs and open mics with. I wanted it to be the last acoustic guitar I buy for at least 5-10 years.. I'm definitely on a budget though, I did a lot of research of the Masterbilt and was pretty much set on it... Then I went to Guitar Center and played one (as well as every single acoustic/electric they had, ranging from $150-5000), it sounded great but I didn't think it sound $300 better than a Fender or Ibanez next to it... I said screw it and bought the brand new Ibanez AW400 for $200 when I saw it on sale online.. I love it, sounds great imo.. One day maybe i'll buy a Martin or Taylor, I'd love to. For now I'm more than content with what I have though and I've never once heard someone say, "That guitar sounds bad."

Stratoskater likes this.

15. mduganjr

mduganjr Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2016
    Covington, Louisiana
    Maybe I should have scooped up that MB I saw on Craigslist then lol.

I recently scored a Taylor 310 (2001) for cheap, and I love it. Trying to sell it now and it's hard because it's so nice I don't really want to sell it lol.

ocean and apm1991 like this.

16. mduganjr

mduganjr Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2016
    Covington, Louisiana
    I don't remember the model, but I played a dark brown Ibanez a/e that sounded pretty nice. The guy told me it was a solid top, not laminated and the retail was around $200. It was surprisingly nice for the price. He did say that they take the time to set all their guitars up though, so a professional setup I'm sure helps a lot.

apm1991 and nuculer terrist like this.

17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I started on one of those Ibanez. Didn't know what I had...until I played something decent. C'ya

18. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    My Ibanez AW40 Natural Top was $200 new and it has all solid woods. I got it on clearance, but you can still get them for around $200 used. I also got my Martin 000X1 with a hard case for $250 off of Craigslist, and my Fender F310 12 string with a nice gig bag for $60, again, on Craigslist. The deals are out there, but it's all about patience and spending countless hours obsessively glued to your computer checking the usual sites. (Craigslist, GC Used, MusicGoRound, etc...)

apm1991 likes this.

19. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona

20. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    Ibanez AW400C Artwood Solid Top Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Dreadnought body
    Solid Sitka spruce top
    Mahogany back AND sides (satin finish)
    Mahogany neck (satin finish)
    Rosewood bridge and fretboard

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...t-acoustic-electric-guitar?rNtt=aw400&index=2

ocean likes this.