Join Strat-Talk Today

Is it true...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thunderhopkins8, May 20, 2019.

1. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

With guitars quality and cost are not very connected these days. I have a couple Bullets that feel pretty much as nice as my real Fender Strat, for example. I'm not saying there's no connection, but it's not true that a more expensive guitar is always better than a cheaper one. More than ever, play it, and if you like it it's a good guitar.

2. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Well you don’t really get what you pay for, but you also must observe that the guys with great tone all have pretty good gear, so there is something to it. contrary to what people always say tone is not in the fingers or my air guitar would be the best on earth...

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Maybe not quite all.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  4. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Man, those nights are the best!

Bodean likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

I need to know where you buy your music gear.........NOW!

Bodean likes this.
  6. Wrighty

Probably music gear is the same as other stuff, the answer is ‘yes, up to a point’. Take opinions of what’s good and bad out of the equation, which isn’t easy, and I think you get to a point I call ‘The Kings new clothes’. That means you’re paying for a name rather than improved quality or’ say, 25% more for a 5% quality hike. Chinese knock off to Bullet worth it, Player to AmPro, probably slightly less so, Master Built to Custom, I wouldn’t bother. The differential decreases as you go up the price list IMO.

Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Yeah, but if the owners invested three times as much in stands like yours, tgey’d probably have to replace them a lot less often.................unless they were nicked.

circles likes this.
  8. Wrighty

Here here old chap! It’s the flip side of selling gear that’s often quoted, ‘it’s worth what someone is willing to pay for it’

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

There's a point where cost, quality and value for money meet. That's where you'll find me. Putting a brand name on the same thing and doubling the price just makes me smile as I walk away.

This post was absolutely not sponsored by Stewart-MacDonald

10. Wrighty

It’s perceived kudos.............Bullet, Squier or Fender on the headstock. Make the next level as attractive and reachable as possible to the customer. People with lots of dish sometimes go into reverse snobbery mode. Bragging about their Bullet. Perhaps they think it will hel put them among the rest of us?

11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I think you do get what you pay for, that’s why aim currently trading up on my Squiers, well one of them anyway. I am going to pony up and get an American Performer.

12. JB74

JB74 Strat-O-Master

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the cheap price is forgotten.

13. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

upload_2019-5-21_4-38-56.jpeg
    With this piece of equipment you get a little more than you pay for.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  14. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

It all depends IMhO if the gear speaks to you and floats your boat.:)
    For example, I prefer Squires and Epiphones. I do have some more famous brand name gits but am happy with the lower end of the scale price wise as they work for me and feel right.
    The exception there for me is pedals. Tried the cheap route and discovered that sometimes name brands are much better....just saying.

Try gear and pick what feels right and avoid the honeymoon phase and the you should have this because you play this type of music thang...ymmv

sgarnett and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  15. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-Talker

The combo that is tricky for me: I strongly prefer a vintage-spaced (not just vintage-style) bridge, tall frets, and the small headstock (regardless of what it says), and a rosewood/ebony/pf fretboard. I will probably replace the electronics, so disposable-grade is fine. It would be nice if the finish wasn’t an inch thick. I wish Squire DID offer that.

As far as I know, the only ways to get there are a partscaster (American Pro neck on a Performer, 60s RI, or Original 60s body), Road Worn 60s, or custom. I could live with the fugly CBS headstock of a Performer, but would still be replacing the narrow bridge and the electronics.

There’s no way to buy the Road Worn without the aging. Oh wait, that’s basically the Original 60s. The Road Worn requires extra work to beat it up, but it costs double - that’s $1000 extra - to NOT purposely damage it. Yes, the pickups are nicer on the Original too, but not $1000 nicer.

Someone at Fender has all of that in a big spreadsheet of features, cost, and price (which are totally different) to analyze how their offering compete with each other, other FMI brands, and other companies.

So, at the moment, I’m pondering whether to pay someone to wear out a guitar for me (which is negative value imho), or spend nearly as much on a partscaster that will only be worth a few cups of coffee in a future trade.

16. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-Talker

OTOH, I have an Ibanez copy of an ES-335 that is a steal for what you get. The f-hole binding is really paint, but it’s not obvious, and the pickups are decent - for ceramic. That’s about the only compromise. It’s a darn fine instrument for not much.

I also recently bought an Alvarez AG60AR acoustic. I am still astounded by the value. It is very well made, with most of the high-end touches that actually make a difference. As far as I know, the next most comparable upgrade would cost 10X as much. That is not an exaggeration.

And on that topic - the forearm bevel (which the Alvarez has) is very important to me because of a nerve issue. For someone else, it may be a negative.

17. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-Talker

And yep, as long as you are looking for a narrow-spaced bridge and the medium-jumbo (small) frets, there are some great deals, new and used.

A few days ago, I looked at a used FSR MIM HSS Standard that was a fantastic deal, even with tossing out the electronics - if it is what you are looking for.

18. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

Whenever I buy any music gear I focus on the sound I'm trying to achieve and then find out what gear will get me there. Sometimes it's the cheaper gear that will achieve the sound you are looking for. I like the sound of my Yamaha acoustic guitar better than most other acoustic guitars I've heard and it cost me $250 new back in 2002. I didn't buy it because it was cheaper. I chose it because it delivered the sound I was after. On the other end of the spectrum I shelled out the most money I ever paid for music gear on a Gretsch Duo Jet with Dynasonic pickups because it delivered the sound I was chasing.

The price to quality ratio also works in the buyer's favor when buying used.

19. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-Talker

Yeah, when I found that Alvarez, it was like it was custom-made for me. Price really wasn’t a major factor. Paying 10X was not an option, but I would have happily paid 2X, maybe even 3X. Instead, it was marked down because of a few scratches. Score!

20. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-Talker

double post deleted

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.