Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is my strat a pre CBS or a CBS era ?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Guillaume212, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Guillaume212

Guillaume212 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Paris France
    Yes'for me it's à big chance in the process of buying such an instrument and being able to compare it with other models for +/- the same era in the very same condition...amp/pedal.

And how glad I am that the one which sounds best to my ears fitted my budget !

I really prefered it over older pre cbs guitars that I couldn't afford anyway !

Lucky me !

2. Guillaume212

Jan 1, 2018
    Paris France
    Hi everybody

I did a little mathematics game yesterday !

It's commonly recognized that 1965 serial numbers goes from L59000 to 110000 so approximately 50.000 guitars produced that years.

According to the fact that there is 5 working days in a week : 52x5=260 (which I substrat 10 days, for holidays, national days etc. :260-10=250 working days approx.

That would mean that 50000/250=200 guitars were produced in a day in 1965.

My strat having the serial number 1001xx, that would also mean that technically it has been produced the very next day after the end of the L series ! :rolleyes::D

I know that in reality it mustn't happen exactly that way, but I thought it was funny to share this idea !

3. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-O-Master

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    I like you're reasoning :D BUT the serial number plates were not used in a sequential order... rather pulled from a bin at random...
    BUT this also could mean that some L-numbers were finished after yours was made... :whistling:
    Guy Named Sue likes this.

4. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    It certainly isn't cut and dry - yes, CBS took over when they did BUT production didn't drastically change that first year. It would be ridiculous to lump a 65 with a bunch of mid-70s strats and say "these are all of an era" i.e. CBS. Nope.
    johnnymg and Guy Named Sue like this.

5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    If the guitar is truly "original" then I definitely wouldn't "restore it" beyond a very light cleaning. JMO.

Congrats again............. and post more pics when you can.

6. Guillaume212

Jan 1, 2018
    Paris France
    here are some pictures ! I am not a good photographer...

The last picture has been taken with her young sister from 1977, despite the bad reputation of those years, this OW strat is excellent ! Light and resonant, I like the pickup sound, a very cool CBS era Strat !

Attached Files:

Percy, jofish and johnnymg like this.

7. silversonic65

silversonic65 New Member!

Apr 6, 2014
    Great guitar! Interesting that the hole from the cable to the backside is from above of the worm route. Mostly they are on the side. Has anyone seen this before?
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

8. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Great color on the '77.....Robin Trower plays one just like it....:thumb: