Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is one coat nitro laquier paint enough?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by gurvar, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Paint it with house paint then bury it in dirt for 6 months. It'll look just like that

nickmsmith likes this.

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You can't make a guitar out of a tree. First you have to cut the tree down. This kills it. We know this is true because trees don't grow any more when they're cut down......

So what we get is wood from this dead tree, & you can make a guitar from this. :) But now that you understand that the tree is dead & what we have is wood (which can't breath because it's dead...), perhaps you can spare us any more nonsense about how your tree needs to breath. Because that really sounds very silly, doesn't it?

3. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I heard Carlos Santana playing in Hyde Park last Sunday. When he joined Clapton for the encore, he played a Strat. You'll never guess who he sounded like - Carlos Santana!! I was amazed, who woulda thunk it?

henderman and Cerb like this.

4. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I would have loved to see Santana.

A while ago I tried to do some digging into what amps and effects David Gilmour uses. What I found was that he's been known to use many different, he also likes to plug straight into the table in the studio for recording, still sounding like himself.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    I hafta wonder.. did he sound like Carlos because of the guitar, or because of his talent...

r

Dick Blackmore likes this.

6. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas

My drummer was visiting a friend down in the Hill Country of Central Texas a while back.

He played him one of our recorded rehearsal sessions so he could check the new line up out.

When it got to our cover of Zep's Ramble On, he said. "man that Les Paul sounds sweet!"

My drummer quickly responded, "that's because it was played on a Strat!" :D

Groovey likes this.

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That's a hard one......

8. dcos

dcos Strat-Talk Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Sand Lake, Michigan
    Wow, do I disagree with this! While it's true you can make almost any guitar sound like any other guitar using EQ and effects, the bare bones tone of a Strat and a Les Paul are very different and I can easily hear it in a recording even if I don't know the song or who's playing it. Single coil pickups and humbucking pickups have very different tones and a Les Paul does not have the quack of a Strat.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    you can totally EQ the neck and bridge pickup on a strat to where it sounds basically indistinguishable. Sure, the quack positions are unique to the guitar, but it's not hard to get a strat to sound close enough to an LP.. it's tough to get a traditional LP to sound like a strat.. it would take some masterful EQing.

Kill the highs and boost the mids, and people won't be able to tell the difference at all, in strat vs. LP. especially once you add compression and overdrive into the equation.

10. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    all ya gotta do is know how to use the knobs and sliders that are NOT on the guitar.... :p knowing what to do with those on the guitar doesn't hurt though..

r

11. bolognahead

bolognahead Strat-Talker

Apr 30, 2017
    Lake Papakito
    dead tree dont breath, that for sure, but maybe can look to it different way/meaning. 'breathing' could be exchenage of sound waves with environment (pickups); in me humble opinion, thick paint can muffle guitar sound little bit, to make it "breathe" less (exchange in air with sound waves, as sound waves are physic and push air). of course me gonna be call dumb, but that just my belief. me dont believe nitro or poly make difference, only thick of paint.

edit - substitute word 'exchange' for 'transfer' of air/sound waves from guitar to exterior

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 11:37 AM

12. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    if wood's breathing... does is sound best when it inhales, or exhales? Or does it hold it's breath while you're playing... and/or... at what barometric pressure does it sound best? :whistling:

rk

Dick Blackmore likes this.

13. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    If this seem a bit out of context it's because I copied it from another one of my posts.

Look at it this way: In an electric guitar an electrical current is generated in the pickups from the vibrating string disturbing the magnetic field. In other words, unless the pickups are microphonic, they won't pick up any of the guitar's acoustic qualities. However, once the string is picked and is ringing out, the guitar as a whole will start to resonate, this will also affect how the string keeps vibrating which in turn affects the pickups and subsequently the tone. Now, once the string is vibrating you can never add anything to the tone, only subtract. My theory is thus that how the guitar resonates is depending on the sum of its parts and what is removed from the tone, i.e. which overtones will be kept ringing and which won't will determine if we find the sound pleasing or not. This means that a set of pickups that sound amazing in one guitar could sound dead in another and a body that sounds amazing when paired with a set of pickups and a neck may sound equally dead together with another neck. This is why my opinion is that the entire signal chain is much too complex to say that maple sounds brighter than for instance mahogany.

Add to the above the fact that the pickups are wired with a fairly wide tolerance, the tone pots are usually only within 5 to 10% of their specified values, as are the caps, which will have a huge impact on tone. Also factor in the capacitance of the cable and the voicing of your particular amp and then try to come up with a way of quantifying the impact of the wood/finish/fret material/fret board material/pick guard material etc.

ryapou likes this.

14. Chasy

Chasy Strat-Talker

Jun 7, 2018
    Danbury CT
    I think that finish looks like my shed, So it looks like somebody took an old strat and stripped it and painted it with houseplant and left it outside. I would think that could be achieved using outdoor opaque wood stain mixed with dirt. Application will be key. That type of paint will breathe if it is thin enough.

15. Chasy

Chasy Strat-Talker

Jun 7, 2018
    Danbury CT
    And somebody said you cant make a guitar out of a tree. I got 12 nails and a hammer. I bet we could. I bet it would have huge sustain too.

16. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    If wood breaths, can it be resuscitated back into being a tree by a paramedic? That would be "No"-

17. Chasy

Chasy Strat-Talker

Jun 7, 2018
    Danbury CT
    The word breathe has a broader meaning than people are attributing to it. Everything breathes to an extent. My favorite Cabernets especially so.

18. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    The first thing I do with a new guitar is strangle the hell out of it.

NO MORE BREATHING FOR YOU!

Cerb likes this.

19. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Yeah, I usually sit on mine for an hour, assphyxiation.

20. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    But wine does breathe. Guitars don't.