Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is the original Jeff Beck strat more coveted than the newer versions?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rob Moreno, May 16, 2018.

1. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Just curious. I don't see any early 90's versions on Reverb but there are a lot of newer ones for sale.

2. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    OK, let me rephrase the question:

If someone pointed a gun to your head and said "you must buy a Jeff Beck strat right now", which version would you buy and would you keep it or sell it after the the guy with the gun disappeared?

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-Talker

Jul 25, 2017
    ABQ

4. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I saw a slightly modified 1965 Strat for sale that was used by Beck at some point.
    THAT would be the "Jeff Beck Strat" that I would want and yes I would keep it.

Stratoskater and Rob Moreno like this.

5. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    To actually address your question, my understanding is that the older ones had fatter necks and some people find that really desirable. Also, I think JB still uses one of the older ones live quite often. At least it looks like one in that it has the original Wilkinson nut and not the later LSR roller nut.

Rob Moreno likes this.

6. Smylight

Smylight Strat-Talk Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Québec
    I remember reading elsewhere that the modern Strats Jeff uses ALL use the old Wilkinson. He doesn't use Signature models (not even the CS one), he has them custom-built.

To the OP, I have one of the original-issue, and I just LOVE the fat neck. Not bonding with the Lace pickups, though. Jeff did not, sure enough. He's using one-offs that John Suhr had a go at while he was still at Fender. They are reported as being VERY powerful and a lot taller than stock Fenders, so the guitars had to be modified to fit them. Jeff reportedly has 2 sets installed in his main guitars. John's not making any others.

Rob Moreno and Fuzzpop like this.

7. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Ahhh that makes sense.

8. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I think I would get this one.....

a680.jpg

9. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Thanks. I thought it might be the case that the older ones are more desirable as they were made with a fat neck for only very short time.

Fuzzpop likes this.

10. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Thanks for your opinion. I have a chance to pick up an original surf green one, fat neck, Wilkinson nut and all, for $1000. Seems like a good deal but I wanted to be sure the specs weren’t changed for a good reason.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    T Guitar Floyd and Smylight like this.

11. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, make sure you get the parachute pants, high tops and a time machine back to the 80’s when that was cool.

12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I found a friend who pointed a gun at his own head and blew it off, thanks for reminding me about it.

Or let me rephrase that - you are an idiot !

Game0ver77 likes this.

13. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    That's an awful thing to go through and I'm so sorry you had to experience it. But I don't think OP would have any way of knowing that and it's a relatively commonly used phrase. I think the personal attack calling him an idiot was unwarranted. I've been warned on here for saying far less.

14. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I'm sorry to have reminded you of such a dreadful memory. My phrase was obviously tongue in cheek, as are many comments on this forum. Please accept my apologies.

15. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Thank you.

I wish I would have said phrases like that can upset people who have dealt with that and deleting it from our vocabulary may be helpful, but I said dumb stuff instead.

I did not need to say any of the things I did, my anger or the subject is no excuse for it either, I screwed up. Please except my apology.

16. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-Talker

Jul 25, 2017
    ABQ
    Too bad the parachute pants fit like yoga pants these days...

But the guitars have always been cool.

[​IMG]

smithstrato and Rob Moreno like this.

17. Seekir

Seekir Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2015
    Hilo, Hawaii
    I have one of the original JB sig strats (my avatar) with the dark honey-tinted baseball bat neck, HSS gold lace sensors, TBX (aft) tone pot, locking tuners, and the coil split switch for the humbucker. I changed the bulky Wilkinson roller nut for an LSR (I think I've got the names right?). Probably should have left the Wilkinson on there, they both seem fine. I've never seen Mr. Beck play one with the HSS sensor equipped rig, though I have an ancient GP magazine with him on the cover holding one. I think Fender realized pretty quickly that the thick neck Jeff apparently preferred was hampering sales to the average "thinner is better" Fender player. I liked it fine, and was impressed with the one I picked up in a local store. It was an unacceptable metal-flake purple though, so I bought one from a catalog that was antique white. I'm not sure about the sensors, some of my other strats sound better with amps that don't really seem to meld with the JB.

Rob Moreno likes this.

18. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Also, for the record, I totally agree that those phrases can be really insensitive without even realizing it. And you're a damn good person for apologizing and seeing through your anger. I was never in your particular situation, but in my days before sobriety I was almost in your friend's situation. I wouldn't wish either side of it on even my worst enemy.

19. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If I had my parachute pants, which I wore in junior high they definitely wouldn't fit. Even if my waist line was the same, my inseam is not.

I remember walking down the hall, swish swish swish.

But yeah, I was so cool. White kid wearing a Michael Jackson red jacket (from Beat It), original Air Jordans, red bandana tied around my leg just above the knee, a mullet (didn't call them that back then, and when the permed mullet came into fashion mine was already naturally curly- Shirley Temple ringlets, all the other kids were asking me where I'd gotten it done) and a (CZ) diamond stud in my left ear (right is wrong).

20. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    (post written before reading above apologies, but I'm leaving it)

It's a figure of speech that many people use. No reason to lash out at him over something unrelated that happened in your life.

My best friend killed himself about six months ago, but I don't expect people that never met either one of us to somehow shield me from a subject that might remind me of that. Someone could mention Alice in Chains, and it reminds me of him cause he lived in Layne Staley's old house.

Sorry about your friend.