Join Strat-Talk Today

For Sale Is there interest in this market for a refin 1960 strat with OHSC ?

Discussion in 'Guitars for Sale, Trade or Wanted' started by weslito2, May 22, 2019.

1. weslito2

weslito2 New Member!

I bought this absolutely amazing Strat a little over a year ago and had it refinished by the famous Lay's Guitars in Akron, OH. (I made a trip out of it and flew to Cleveland to check out the shop and Rock Hall of Fame. Cool experience!)

I'm the second owner. Original owner liked the Mosrite finishes that were popular in the 60's and had it redone way back then. I couldn't stand that finish, but the hardware and the mint green pickguard are the cleanest I've ever seen. Lay's tried to salvage the original sunburst finish, but they'd gone through to the wood during original refin and it would have looked ugly in a not cool way. I did not have the neck refinished so that last refin was back in the 60's. You can tell the guitar was not played much or at least not played hard.

I should be clear that the nut was replaced and a shim placed under neck and work done to eliminate excessive neck bowing. The nut was replaced by original owner in 2000 and I had the neck work done by D'Angelo Guitars in NJ last spring.

The tremolo bar has a bit of rust on the underside, but it's there! Those are usually long gone. Also the bridge cover is super clean, again a rarity.

Case has one working latch but is in very good condition.

I will post one pic but have many more of the guitar when I bought it, during refin, under pickguard (wiring), pick-up multimeter measurements, etc.

I will offer the guitar for the price I paid plus what I put into it. So, I'm not looking for a profit. My family has some medical bills coming up and I need to test the waters in offloading this prized possession out of necessity.

$14k

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Groovey, Jwalker99 and 1bluzman like this.
  2. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

nice looking guitar, from here

how about posting all of those pics?

including the inside, electronics, neck heel, headstock, back, front

you could also post some audio

good luck

3. weslito2

weslito2 New Member!

I will have to post tonight.

4. weslito2

weslito2 New Member!

First pics are after refin. Second set of pics were with first refin from 60's. IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0168.jpg IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0165.JPG 1960 strat back of neck.jpg 1960 strat guitar with case.jpg 1960 strat headstock.jpg 1960 strat neck date.jpg IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0168.jpg IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0165.JPG 1960 strat back of neck.jpg 1960 strat guitar with case.jpg 1960 strat headstock.jpg 1960 strat neck date.jpg

vid1900 likes this.
  5. weslito2

weslito2 New Member!

here are more IMG_4802.JPG IMG_4803.JPG IMG_4807.JPG IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4813.JPG IMG_4814.JPG IMG_4816.JPG IMG_4817.JPG IMG_4800.JPG IMG_4801.JPG

6. weslito2

weslito2 New Member!

last one IMG_4803.JPG IMG_4817.JPG IMG_4818.JPG IMG_4819.JPG IMG_4820.JPG IMG_4822.JPG IMG_4829.JPG IMG_4830.JPG IMG_5121.JPG IMG_5122.JPG

_MS_ likes this.
  7. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Even though red isn't really my color, that's a gorgeous paint job. Good luck with the sale, and best wishes in whatever medical thing is pending.

8. weslito2

weslito2 New Member!

Thanks. I appreciate that. I wish I could barter with a cool medical practice.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

10. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 Strat-Talk Member

Nice refin color.

So the guitar was refined 2x?

Pls Refresh my memory, were neck dates in 1961 stamped? I believe Fender stopped writing in dates in 1959 due to an employee including an obscene word...

Just to confirm, the Neck was refined too?

Are all pickups original?

Can you post an iphone video so we can hear how it sounds?

Thks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. weslito2

weslito2 New Member!

In March '62 they started stamping necks. Here is reference: http://guitarhq.com/fender.html

All parts are original except nut and saddle screws, which will come with the guitar.

Neck was refin'd once when original refin was done. I did not have it redone.

I can get a video up, but it won't be for a few days probably.

Thanks

12. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Wow. Makes me want one.

13. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 Strat-Talk Member

Can you post an iphone video of what it sounds like? Would be helpful to hear how it plays.

The color is very nice. Can we private msg about pricing?

14. weslito2

weslito2 New Member!

Sure PM me. Can't do video as I'm getting it cloned before I sell and it's at the guitar shop

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.