Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

It was a sad Monday

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StillAlive&Well, Sep 12, 2017.

1. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I was up early Monday morning. It's my day off and I had a meeting with the power company and their tree trimmers. They need to clear the power lines on my property.
    Regular morning routine, greet the dogs & give their morning meds slathered in peanut butter, they all line up in their room except Elvis. Maybe he's out back taking care of business. Call, he doesn't come. Open the back door and find him on the porch.
    Apparently he died sometime during the night. Gastric torsion. Wolfhounds and other deep chested dogs are prone to this condition.

I had been at a friends house watching the Cowboy game and got home about 11. None of the dogs came to greet me when I opened the gate to the porch. This is not unusual if they are all inside sound asleep, so it had to have happened sometime between 11 and 6:30.
    We both feel terrible, we didn't hear anything during the night and were unable to help him.

He was one of our two rescues from Santa Fe, Texas in 2014. There was a man there that had been breeding Irish Wolfhounds. I don't know where he went wrong, but he wound up neglecting the dogs and other animals he had on his property. Our Wolfhound club got wind of the conditions there and with the help of the Houston SPCA, we were able to seize the dogs and get them to a safe place. The conditions they were living in were horrible. There were 72 Irish Wolfhounds, all starving, filthy and sick. Some didn't make it out of Houston, their condition so bad they had to be put down. We found homes for the others, from Texas to Alaska, East coast to West. We took two, Elvis and Agnes.

Some of the dogs had a hard time transitioning to a life a dog deserves. Agnes is one of those. Even after being with us for three years she still is fearful and shy. We can see she wants to, but she is still afraid of a human hand. She has made huge progress but is not showing normal Wolfhound behavior. It's sad but OK. She is safe and well fed, with room to run and play with our other dogs.

Elvis was happy and quick to adjust to a normal life right from the start. Leashes were terrifying at first and until he came to live with us, I don't think he had ever walked on grass. He and Agnes were severely under weight, that was easy to fix. His eyes were bright and he was always happy to accept love from both humans and other animals.
    I buried him under the Oak trees next to Augustus.

A sweet and gentle boy has passed to the Rainbow Bridge and I look forward to our reunion.
    Elvis 12-09-014 S.jpg

2. Bodean

Bodean smells like leather Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    So sad for your loss. RIP Elvis.

3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    What you did was good. You gave him love and a safe place. Sorry for your loss

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Sad news. I once had a dog named Elvis, he was a rescue too. Sadly he died about 10 years ago. Loosing a dog is hard.

My screen name is actually derived from his name, as a friend of mine with a warped sense of humor always called him Ebidis.

P.S. the dog in my avatar is not him, that is Daisy, my current lap warmer. :)

Sorry for your loss.

5. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    Elvis looks like he was a gentile giant, RIP old guy.
    And good on you too for taking on older rescue dogs, they surly deserve to live out their lives in comfort and love.

6. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

So sorry. He was very lucky to have been yours.

7. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Man I'm so sorry! I'm sorry for your loss.

8. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    You guys gave him a life. Good thing

9. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Strat-O-Master

Jan 31, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    Always hard to lose a friend. At least you gave him a good life after what he had been through.

StillAlive&Well and abnormaltoy like this.

10. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    My condolences.

You pay a hell of a price for unconditional love, but in rescuing Elvis you demonstrated one of the good innate human behaviors.

The drive to save another human or creature from harm.

Salud!

11. StillAlive&Well

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Here is a video documenting the rescue. So many good people helped.

johnnymg, vlxerdon and abnormaltoy like this.

12. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I feel your pain. There's a better place than where we are today and someday you and he will be together.

StillAlive&Well and abnormaltoy like this.

13. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talk Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    I hate it when people lose pets. Those sumbitches are the epitome of unconditional love. Personally I have a cat. He's awesome! He loves to listen to me play guitar (because he's an idiot and doesn't know I suck). I'm sorry for your loss my man. I'll pour a lil beer on the curb for your man.

14. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Very sorry for you. I had a lab die of the same thing...

15. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    RIP Elvis

I love IW's, they're wonderful animals...but, their time is so short.

gwjensen and vlxerdon like this.

16. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Thanks from one doggie daddy to another.

vlxerdon and StillAlive&Well like this.

17. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    So very sorry for your loss. You gave Elvis a few years of love and care, and I'm sure he was happy. RIP Elvis.

My sister took in a rescue dog about 7 months ago. Young Oliver is a lovely little Australian sheepdog (still just a puppy, really) who was mistreated by a breeder when he grew "too big to be adopted". He and his littermates were shut in a barn and neglected and, my sister thinks, hit with rolled up newspapers and such. He is getting better but is still extremely shy and skittish around people.

It's appalling what some people do to animals. Thank goodness for people like you and my sister and so many others here.

18. StillAlive&Well

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    We were warned by the breeder we got our first Wolfhound, Fergus O'toole from in '98 that they steal your heart, then they break it. I find that's true of any animal you choose to live with. With Wolfhounds everything is big, the love and the loss.

Even knowing the problems that come with being owned by a Wolfhound, osteosarcoma, heart disease and gastric torsion, I never want to be without a hound in my life. Fergus, Seamus, Augustus & Breenas all taken by bone cancer. Alis & Glynis' hearts betrayed them. Lucas & Elvis, to gastric torsion.
    Old age has been a non factor. Alis almost made it to 9, most taken from us between 6 & 8 years. We make hay while the sun shines.

I have at times like this thought about giving up on Wolfhounds. Then I get a call from a breeder friend has more puppies than they have homes lined up (Fergus & Alis came from a litter of 16). They want their pups placed in a good Wolfhound friendly home, or like last time, there are hounds in trouble that need my help. Even if I really wanted to give up, I can't.

I think back over the years about each and every one, the love, the happiness, the loss and the sadness and I would do it all again.

19. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    He looks happy in your home. Well done.

20. Malurkey

Malurkey Strat-O-Master

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    From the story, you gave him the best years of his life.

Thank you.