Join Strat-Talk Today

I've had enough, I am getting a Kemper

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Williamwolka, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Williamwolka

Williamwolka Strat-Talker

I have had nothing but problems with my current jcm 800. It decided it needs new input jacks a few weeks ago and today it stopped working. This time it was the preamp tube socket. I wiggle it and it works again. I could go on and on about this thing. Seems to have split personalities too, never sounds the same as it did the last time I fire it up. I'm going to Sweetwater tomorrow. I'm done. Im getting a powered Kemper with the footswith. I can get rid of the pedalboard too.

TSims1 likes this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You’ll likely never look back. Enjoy.

3. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

Do it. Please post a review. I have been dream8ng about a kemper since I tried a demo unit over a year ago. Keep sav8ng money for it and end up spending on other things. Like braces :D

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

If you want to lighten the load you can send the POS JCM my way.;) Seriously, let us know how it works out for you.

5. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd go the same route. Other than dealing with the learning curve, the sound quality on those Kemper and AxeFx units are incredible and if you are recording with them, you can't tell a difference between them and the real deal.

6. Williamwolka

I like the thought of being able to get the sound without all the problems that come along with an amp that is 30 years old.

7. MrKrabs

MrKrabs Strat-Talker

Those modelers are incredible. With all the tube emulation, you’d be hard pressed to tell any noticeable difference

8. Williamwolka

Ok, so I got the powered head unit with the kemper remote and gig bag. This thing is awesome! No more lugging around a head that weighs 50lbs or pedalboard suitcase that weighs about the same. The whole rig weighs about 15lbs and fits neatly in the gig bag. It is refreshing looking at the rig and not having to deal with pedals, power supplies, patch cables, and it all works together perfectly. It has everything I wanted on the remote. Tuner that can mute the guitar, I can assign a lead boost to a switch, has tap tempo button, looper is there too. I am selling all my old stuff and buying more guitars.

9. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I am considering going in this direction also.
    For 99% of my gigs, my Marshall is turned up to about 3 on the volume knob. Maybe less.

My amp is mic' d up, and the stage volume is low for the entire band.

This is not what Marshall tube amps were meant to do. They don't give up the goods until you start to crank 'em up at least half way.

Since I can't do that, I might as well get a kemper and save myself the trouble of dealing with my tube amp rig and pedals etc.
    Seems like the next logical step for me anyway.
    Good luck with yours, I may join the party myself real soon .

10. Williamwolka

I keep finding more reasons why I like it better. Like with the Marshall the sudden volume jump when turning your knob from zero. No more scratchy pots, settings getting changed from kids turning knobs, settings getting changed from transport, dealing with dirty power. It even has a noise gate built in. Not only do I get to have all the amps I could ever want, but whats even better is knowing that you have them in perfect working order too.

11. 8T_BoCO

8T_BoCO Aspiring Stratospheric Stratitician Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm confused as to how this replaces a traditional head or combo. The Kemper is sold as an 'amp head,' rather than a pre-amp, but it only outputs a signal you need to still send to a PA & monitor?

edit: Never mind, they're playing with words - they sell a Head (modeling preamp) and a PowerHead (modeling preamp & 600w Class D poweramp).

Class D is very good vs traditional SS, to my ears anyways.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  12. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Strat-O-Master

FC81DF14-3986-47F6-9D01-FEAF866CA67F.jpeg
    I’d tried a few modelers but ended up knob twiddling too much. I finally realized that my two must have tones are an angry tweed Fender and a Plexi Superlead. I took a gamble and had a custom made Frenzel tube preamp with a 5f6a/JTM 45 on channel one and a 68 plexi in channel two. With one of Lance Keltners’ Retro-Channel power amps and a lexicon for delays and reverbs, I’m very happy. I still have 4 tube amp heads to sell off. I run this into a 4x12 split left/right with EV12 Ls in it.

13. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

So, how does the Kemper "feel" compared to your tube amp(s)? That "feel" thing seems to be the trump card that tube amp fans throw when cornered. :p

14. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-Talker Silver Member

I'm thinking the same thing... if I end up quitting my band, I'm selling the amp and going Kemper or AxeFX.

15. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

How about a Victory pedal and a Cab sim?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.