Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jackson mid life crisis

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by MrHooligan, Jan 23, 2018.

1. MrHooligan

MrHooligan Strat-Talk Member

May 8, 2016
    USA
    So I’m getting older and as a kid always was intrigued when I saw Jackson guitars with the pointy head sticks and binding and whatnot.
    Having over 30 years messing around abusing playing modding and still loving guitars I got my eyes on a Jackson js22 dinky. I know it’s only $200 but I thought why not toss a raging pickup in the bridge keep the neck bucket and deck the bridge and use it around the house for all around fun practice shredding etc.
    anyone have one played one used one or any experience with Jackson’s js22s? Would love to hear tour opinions on them and know what you really think of them. Thanks for reading and sharing your insights.

alainvey, apm1991 and circles like this.

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    My coworker used to have a Dinky. Easy to play and good sounding.

3. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    WTF. 44 isn't old. But it is old enough to have your own money ( if the kids don't take it first) Buy what you want and enjoy.

4. MrHooligan

MrHooligan Strat-Talk Member

May 8, 2016
    USA
    I’m getting their faster than I thought that’s for sure lol.
    I like the metallic blue a good bit and am also eyeballing the natural finish but basswood isn’t known for wonderful grain patterns. I don’t expect otherworldly sound or playability. I do have a few kids floating around the house a lot and just need it to be able to withstand me and the kids and still sound and play well.

5. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I just bought a Dinky DKXT from GC Used for $169 (including shipping and tax) and it has aftermarket BHK pickups in it. I'm not a metal player, but I love the neck on this dang thing. And for what I paid, I'm happy.

MrHooligan likes this.

6. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    I bought my first Jackson (RR1) when I was 42 years old. I say pass on the js22 and get a Soloist and damn the naysayers!

7. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    C-Town, Ontario
    I'm 44 ya old fart!!!!!

I share the same thoughts as you ~ everyone needs a good shredder. Especially those like us who remember the 80's hair rawk!!!

So luck came knocking one day I found locally a (well) used 1986 Charvel Model 6......HSS, Kahler, neck thru body......binding. The whole sha-bang. With OHSC....with the fancy "Charvel" badge on the side.

Basically it's a Soloist clone.

I pull her out when I wanna get my Big City Night's on man.....

Never mind the cheap $200 nonsence, away and get yerself the Jackson of your dreams!!!

If it's a true mid-life, let us guide you the proper way......with over 30 years playing, you should spoil yourself.......you don't want that 4 cylinder Pony when the dude in the 5.0L pulls up next to you at the lights..........

8. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK
    I recently had one of those Charvels slip through my fingers by 2 hours. Still hurts to think about it!

9. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    I had the same idea as a throwback to my old thrash metal favorites. When I was 18 I was in a wurlitzers music store and I saw a white sharkfin Jackson. I did not leave without it because the ironic thing was on the truss rod cover was printed my name. "Kevin" professionally done like whoever had it prior got it made special. I worked fulltime then and had the I believe $900 it cost since I had no bills, car or anything. That guitar would be expensive now as it was an American version. That and my 74 precision bass are only two instruments I really wish I kept. I am heading to GC today later to investigate :)

The new Jackson single cut, les paul looking guitars look impressive especially in my two colors dark red and purple. $799 though but I might have to try one for fun.

10. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    There sure is a bunch of us 44 year olds around here. :confused:

I agree, everyone needs a shredder. My Shredder is an Ibanez Prestige. The neck is way faster than I am. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I am going to play Devils Advocate and be brutally honest.

Dont bother with that JS Series guitar, as the only thing Jackson about it is the name.
    Its a mass produced rebadged guitar, made with inferior parts and horrid quality control in the old Cort factory in Asia.

Remember Cort guitars? Enough said.

If you really want a Jackson, and who doesnt ;) save a few dollars and get a USA made model, or a Japan model. They're fairly rare but a killer deal if you can find one.
    Prices are about half of the USA models, and the quality is top of the line. So much so that Jackson stopped production because they were cutting into the sales of the USA models.

For a little more insider info ....
    If you can get your hands on a USA Select Series, they are actually Custom Shop guitars that weren't sold under the CS moniker. The quality is above and beyond, and the tone of them is to die for.

@sam_in_cali has one, as do I, and I know he loves his as much as I love mine.
    Of course you dont have to take our word for it, but you should :thumb:;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    SurfsUp likes this.

12. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Is Jackson part of Fender now?

13. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

keep an eye out for an 80s era Karmer American series.

in my mind they are the super strat of super strats.

I love the american Pacer series guitars. Jackson body shape, Seymour duncan pickups, Floyd rose bridge, switches for the pickups on offs so ALL and ANY pickup combination is right there waiting for you.

14. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    Yeah, even though I'm a blooz dude who would never be caught dead with a pointy, I see them, I see them offering fast, easy playing necks and I think hey, I'd like a fast easy playing neck, maybe I should get one.

15. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Fender owns Jackson, though they are seperate entities.

16. Blues Trucker

Blues Trucker Strat-O-Master

Dec 31, 2014
    On the road again
    Id have to buy a Joe Dirt wig.

h4ck.b0x7, MrHooligan and Polarbear like this.

17. billgwx

billgwx Strat-Talker

Jan 23, 2011
    Centereach NY
    For a change last week I played an Ibanez Gio at my local Guitar Center, and was astounded at how fast its neck was. But I just can't get past the sound and looks of it and similar guitars. Can't bond with Gibbies either. I think there must be a Fender logo on my birth certificate :D

18. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    My next guitar will be an Ibanez
    . Just saying

19. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, everyone needs a shredder. And I’m 45 for another week or so.

Mine is a Jackson copy made by Betamann (Canadian company). Got it as part of a 3 guitar deal, price to stupid to pass.

I was really interested in the Tele copy (everyone needs one of those to), the dark blue Strat was nice to mod and I could flip the shredder and basically have one of them for free.

When they arrived I was impressed with the quality and after playing it I decided to keep it.

Black slim body, thin fast neck, shark tooth inlays (either real MOP or high quality synthetic), pointy headstock and horns, 2 covered HB’s, Floyd Rose (real, not licensed by either), black HW and knurled knobs.

Don’t have a pic, so that’s the description.

Zactly wut I sed.

20. ThinLizzy73

ThinLizzy73 Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    For those that want the playability without the pointy headstock, a Charvel Pro-Mod is a great choice. It had the Floyd, the Seymour Duncan HBs and the fast neck but it has a strat body and a strat headstock. And if you hunt you can find them on clearance right now.

SurfsUp likes this.