Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jam 65 – BB King-style in C

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Dec 4, 2017.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    If I had great ears, I'd have told you it was a Tele! I heard the pickup changes but I decided it was probably a Strat-style guitar with maybe a different pick-up in the bridge. I noticed there was no bar vibrato, so that should have been a strong clue. Also, there is something about the string separation on longer-scale instruments that I can't really explain...

EDIT: Hence, I decided it wasn't your Maton, a Gibson etc

2. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Good morning Simon :)

Thank you for your positive comment. I struggle to quit being melodic and start being creative :( Yes, I'm confident, yet, I'm missing something...

3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.

4. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Youre on the right track. Just keep at it. I can tell you are listening.

simoncroft and Omar like this.

5. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    The only thing youre missing is experience.

Omar and knh555 like this.

6. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    This is one of the cool things about this site and these challenges/jams in particular. It's really cool seeing someone progress week-to-week like this. Keep it up and just keep making music!

duzie and Omar like this.

7. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @amstratnut – I reckon I can hear hear shades of BB, Albert and Freddie (the 'Three Kings') in your fine take. Those are some monster bands at the start as well. Very nice.

Just in case there is anyone left on there planet who doesn't know where Eric Clapton got all his early inspiration from, here's Freddie King performing I'm Torn Down. (Also featuring a guy playing... gasp... blues on a Rickenbacker!)

Omar, Thrup'ny Bit and amstratnut like this.

8. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Omar – I've put together this Three Note Blues for you. There are only three notes in it, and I'm pretty certain they're not the three notes you would expect. They are E, Eb and F.

To put it another way, they are a) The Major 3rd of the scale, b) The Minor 3rd, and c) The 4th. How the heck does that work out? Well, the Major 3rd over the I chord is pretty simple. The Minor 3rd over the IV form a Dominant 7th (often just referred to as a 7th in popular music.) The 4th degree of the scale has exactly the same relationship with the V chord.

Am I suggesting you base a solo on those notes? No, but if you at least include those notes when you are playing over those chords, you'll get a bluesier sound. :thumb:

I've made the track downloadable, in case you want to listen to how it works bar-by-bar.

duzie, TheDuck and Omar like this.

9. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you! :) I’ll keep on practicing.
    Many thanks Simon, I appreciate it :) the minor 3rd is called the blues note if I’m not mistaken? I played it briefly but didn’t emphasis on it, I used it as a passing note. Was I wrong?

10. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    The 'blue note' is usually taken to mean a flattened 5th, which in the scale of C is F sharp, however it mostly appears as a passing note between the V and IV chords (G7 and F7). I can't say it's a note I use a lot in a blues solo, and I'm not sure that the term 'blue note' is even that helpful. I have the same problem with the so-called 'blues scale'. But, here's the thing: there is no 'right' or 'wrong' in the blues, or in art in general. If you can make something work in your solo, then you are expressing yourself as you wish.

A lot of blues players put a lot of emphasis on the major and minor third, and also often bend the minor third just slightly to a note that is somewhere between the two. I find that very effective, but that doesn't mean you have to use it, or even like it. :sneaky:

The blues doesn't have to be hard to play, or especially complicated, but you need to listen to a lot of it before you start to understand how to create an expressive solo. There's plenty of great blues on YouTube, so enjoy. :thumb:

TheDuck, Omar and amstratnut like this.

11. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Try to find recordings where they use that note and see how its treated. The minor 3rd vs major 3rd is a big deal in blues. Its very good that you are thinking about it. There is no, "one size fits all" in blues. Each artist does it a little differently.

simoncroft and Omar like this.

12. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    @Omar this is my favorite blues player. I like him cause he has a jazzy feel to his playing. He has all sorts of ways to deal with the major and minor 3rds.

If he doesnt inspire you, thats ok. Im just putting it out there cause he is an endless wealth of ideas and always seem to hit the sweet notes.

CigBurn, mjark, Omar and 1 other person like this.

13. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Lovely playing! Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

Don't learn the 'blues faces' though. :whistling::D

Omar likes this.

14. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I mixed up with A minor pentatonic Blues scale that has D#/Eb. I’ll try it once my daughter goes to bed. I’m stuck with her watching her favorite cartoons :D

That guy is amazing, a great player and performer. He’s definitely an inspiration. I’ll keep an eye on his fingers. :thumb:

lol

simoncroft likes this.

15. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    "The 'blue note' is usually taken to mean a flattened 5th..I can't say it's a note I use a lot in a blues solo." Most often we don't think about it because we bend. R m3 4 bend to 5 - b5 is in there!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Omar and simoncroft like this.

16. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I use the blue note consistantly in ascending / decending licks to smooth the transition in and out of the “King box” .

Dont ever land on it though, the results arent pleasant :confused:

Omar, simoncroft and mjark like this.

17. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Well said.

What annoys me is there are still books (and on-line tutorials) out there that show a minor pentatonic scale, with this magic 'blue note' added, and claim this is the 'blues scale'! That pretty much sends whoever buys those books off into the wilderness until they gain enough experience to realize that's not how a lot of blues solos work.

Unfortunately, some guitarists get so fixated by this 'minor box pattern', that they really struggle to recover from this repetitive approach to playing. Show someone who has got a long way using those minor boxes a few Steve Cropper or BB King licks and it can almost devastate them, because they don't understand.

TheDuck and Omar like this.

18. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    I’m blue over my blues lol ...

Mellencaster, TheDuck and Omar like this.

19. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @duzie – That is seriously cool! Lovely tone. Really nice sense of phrasing. Spot-on with your note choices. You got it.

duzie and Omar like this.

20. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    if you know all five major and minor penatonic positions they can cover a lot of ground. What I hear way too often is people trying to use the minor only. The pentatonic scale does comprise most Blues licks, but there's nothing wrong with that at all. As I was trying to get Omar to see, Blues is mostly about time, or "feel".

Omar and simoncroft like this.