Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Japan Squier Strat 2 stamped neck

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Strat Advocate, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Strat Advocate

Strat Advocate New Member!

Oct 19, 2014
    Willamette Valley
    I'm the original owner of this mij squier strat. I never noticed until just recently there is a 2 stamped on the back of the neck. Does this indicate the neck and/or guitar is a factory 2nd?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Never seen that before - I have never heard of any factory 2nd being released, either the guitars were good enough and passed QC or they were fixed or destroyed....

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I've never seen that before either. Strange.

4. Strat Advocate

Oct 19, 2014
    Willamette Valley
    Here's a response from Fender...Hello,

That is not a thing we would have done. This guitar is very old, and made overseas, before we acquired the company, so there is really no way for us to properly identify what the guitar is or why it is marked as such. An "E + 6 digits" Made in Japan serial number would put that guitar anywhere from 1984-1987.

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well if it's from after 1985 Fender are wrong. The current company bought the Fender name in 1985, so anything made after that date was ordered by Fender Japan from their contractor (Fujigen) on behalf of the parent Fender company. And Fender Japan didn't change in any way (as far as I know) in the 1984-7 period, it's the same company set up in 1982.

6. That635Guy

That635Guy Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2017
    Delaware Ohio
    It says ‘Squier, by Fender’ on the headstock. So I have a theory. It’s that when fender aquired the company, this guitar was in an interim period. So what Squier did was they stamped the fender logo on because they had to but did not throw away the whole neck, so the stamped 2 that was stamped previous to the company’s acquiring. So it stayed, and the fender logo was slapped on and sold to you. If my theory is true, you have a rare guitar sir.

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    So are you under the impression that guitars carrying the brand name of Squire were being made prior to Fender's acquisition of the Squier brand name? If so, then I'm afraid that you are incorrect.

8. That635Guy

That635Guy Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2017
    Delaware Ohio
    I may be, or when Squier was purchased, they bought necks from a different company stock up. I have no definite answers though.

9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Squier was an old string making company that Fender bought out a long time ago. So when Fender decided to set up Fender Japan to order Fender specc'ed guitars from Japanese contractors, they decided to use a brand name that they owned but that was out of use. The first guitars ever made under the Squier brand name were the JVs ordered by Fender Japan from Fujigen & launched on the world market in 1982.

So the answer to your suggestion is a very clear "no".

10. That635Guy

That635Guy Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2017
    Delaware Ohio
    I knew they made strings. But the other info is new. At least this is the internet, where people are civilized and forgiving. I understand why I was wrong, but an explanation is still in order.

11. Strat Advocate

Oct 19, 2014
    Willamette Valley
    Wanted to stop back in and thank everyone for the input. It will remain a mystery I guess...I decided to loan the guitar to my nephew who is a budding excellent guitarist. I had been helping him with some research for a Telecaster purchase which he has since made and I figured he should have a nice Strat to go with his Tele.

My memory (which is questionable) says I paid $100 for the strat from GC back in the
    80's....if so I should have bought 10 of them.

That635Guy likes this.