Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Japan strat identification

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kyri, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

I picked up a strat recently (well, a case actually but it had a strat in it) and although I will likely sell it on, I am trying to identify what it is.

I have a few japanese strats but they are all earlier than this T serial which is from around 94 or 95.

I am wondering if the body is genuine to the neck, or not. Some strange things compared to what I have seen in the earlier ones... can anyone help me identify if it is original or if the body/electrics have been swapped out?
    Some pictures...

Attached Files:

2. kgbeast

kgbeast Senior Stratmaster

Body is to hack of a job. I do not think it is MIJ. I think the only MIJ part here is the neck.

3. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

I agree - the body is solid, and the strat sounds OK but I have never seen a japanese strat with routiings like this. Also the contours are a bit strange, with slightly sharp edges, if that makes sense. Just wait until you see the electrics.

The ageing of the finish on the neck matches the body, which could be a coincidence or the body was swapped a while back.

Any idea what the body is from assuming its not original to this neck?

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

That body is FUNNY.

6. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

I wondered if it might be a squier protone body, but they don't have the mickey mouse ears or rounded corners between the pup routes - at least on the ones I have seen. The mystery continues....

In the meantime here are a few more pictures. I have seen mid 90's mij strats with small pots so it is possible they are original, and the two single coils could possibly be as well but I am not sure. They have a really low dc resistance of around 2.9K! The switch looks like the cheap ones I have seen in affinitys.

Doesn't any one have a mid 90's mij that they can have a look under the hood? :)

Attached Files:

7. texstrat

texstrat Strat-Talk Member

8. kgbeast

kgbeast Senior Stratmaster

I have bought a body like this from ebay once... I have concluded that I could have spend my money better. It weight a ton, and mickey ears are not cool. I think it is Fender reject body that was sold on ebay as "luthier project". I am sure this is a partocaster built around a good neck.

9. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

Interesting, you could be right this one is quite heavy. Yours wasn't by any chance a sunburst, and if so was the grain any good?
    I could easily make back what I paid by selling the parts, but I may use the body for some experiments if I decide to strip it. What I don't want to do is go to the trouble of stripping it and find that it looks worse. As for the neck it is OK and could be the basis of a decent strat if I don't sell it.

10. IronWolfe11

IronWolfe11 Strat-Talker

Those pups look EXACTLY like the dragonfire's I used to have in a MIM Squier Series...

11. Richlado

Richlado New Member!

Hi mate, just stumbled across this post...

I have an identical strat, the serial number is a couple after your one.... Both body and neck are the same as yours!

Did you ever find out more about this guitar?

Cheers

Rich

12. Kitcool

Kitcool New Member!

Hi guys, just stumbled across this post because I was also looking for information about my supposed Mij 94 strat bought a few months ago. I looked under the hood this weekend and was suprised to find mickey ears in the neck pocket on a strat that seemed ortherwise legit. mine is a also a T serial 037568.[​IMG]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hvKcYZOEAWTTZHYWZINkRYYW8/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Hello kitcool, welcome to the forum. We'll need more photos to be able to tell what you have. So far, it's looking like that body is not an original MIJ body to my eyes....I'd like to see the headstock and serial number (back of neck heel probably for the number) as well as the back of the body / tremolo cover to see how the screws line up as well as what the neck plate looks like....

The more I read previous posts in this thread though...I could be wrong....

14. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

Very odd. I've never seen an MIJ neck with the 2-pin tuners. And the rest, wellllll.... I hope the neck is a good player!

15. Billie_J

Billie_J Strat-Talk Member

I recently bought a strat with a MIJ neck plate with just "Made In Japan" on it but I cant find any identification due to the recent owner gluing a neck on the body with expanding glue, which I pried off. Yet the body feels great and the electronics are amazing (IMO). But I believe the mystery is what makes it great. Yet the body you have seems a bit thin for a Japanese strat (from my experience) Then again it could just be the view

16. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

Hey Billie! I forgot about this thread!
    I since sold the body, I will never know if its genuine and I have seen and still have quite a few mij strats. As for the neck, I cleaned it up, resprayed the front of the fingerboard and its a good player, just on a different body. Interestingly its ended up paired with a thinner chinese squier body, the original (or at least, the body pictured so far in this thread) was full thickness. I have to admit though from some of the pictures it does look thin, maybe due to the orientation? Cheers! Kyri