Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jazz or Blues??

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Simpleman, Nov 30, 2017.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

My question would be this, why one or the other when there is a ton of overlap? Bluesy Jazz, Jazzy Blues and a whole spectrum between two extremes. Just play what you like on the day. Carpe guitar & carpe diem.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Uh, no, not true. Over a ii°/V/i it'll work just fine. Over any minor chord progression it'll work.

Get this book:
    [​IMG]

Pent scales are not just for blues.

:D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

3. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talker

If anyone would like to listen to amazing pentatonic playing in jazz check out McTyner and the king himself John Coltrane. A lot to be learned about pentatonic playing from those guys :thumb:. Then of course guitarists like Sco and Henderson :)

MrCairo, dogletnoir and fezz parka like this.

4. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    And also Joe Zawinul of Weather Report!

Highway Star likes this.

5. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    Hmmm...really? There'd be a lot of jazz players shocked to find that out. I guess Coltrane, Burrell, Grant Green, Miles Davis and a lot of other guys just don't know how to play jazz. Better throw out "Kind of Blue" because there's a lot of pentatonics being played on there. Must not be real jazz.

MrCairo and fezz parka like this.

6. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    Why would you give a Freddie Uncle Charlie Katie how people looked at you?!? Do “they” dictate how you play your instrument? Just be the best Simpleman on guitar that you can be—if you want to go from fret to fret, mode to mode, do it. Likewise, if you feel like laying down the bendy licks, do that as well. Do it on the same song if you want.

Wherever you go musically, someone will probably have an ingrown hair up his @ss about your playing no matter what you do or how you do it. Remember, haters used to accuse Coltrane of simply practicing his scales onstage.

Just block them out and play from your heart and soul. You will be fine.

MrCairo likes this.

7. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    I like to mix them actually...

8. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-Talker

Jun 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    Now this is back when I was younger and more thinned skinned. Anyway I think I finally silenced the turmoil in my head.

I like having goals in mind. Working on my reading scales and mojo is the tasks at hand.

Thanks for everybody’s input. It’s much appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 1:28 PM

9. archetype

archetype Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    Find the old Warren Nunes jazz method books. He wrote one on blues that was based around jazz chording.

10. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Always find notes that work outside the pentatonic scale. Example: instead of playing the flat 3rd, play a 3rd note or incorporate the 2 note as a substitute and then add the flat 3 back in. You can get very good stuff if you feel your way through things.

You need to have some theory, but as @fezz parka stated earlier, have fun with it. That’s the most important part especially if you’re a hobbyist like I am.

11. MrCairo

MrCairo Strat-Talk Member

Oct 15, 2017
    NL
    why not both? Two of my guitar heros -- Joe Pass and George Benson -- happily combined the two.

And as for bending: Maybe jazz academics will tell you it's not done... But jazz is all about individual style. Benson does it. Otherwise, listen to the great sax players (and some trumpet players), to emulate that style on guitar, bending is almost a prerequisite.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:28 AM
    Doghouse_Riley likes this.

12. MrCairo

Oct 15, 2017
    NL
    Speaking of Joe Pass, here is a great 1 hr video that may well kick start your path -- no matter if you choose jazz, blues or both:

And speaking of Benson:

(edit: man I could listen to George Benson all day all night, what feel, what flow!)

Doghouse_Riley likes this.

13. MrCairo

Oct 15, 2017
    NL
    Just wanted to share this one as well. Most of the solo stuff is just pure blues, man... with some Dorian mode thrown in for good taste :) (guitar solo @ 3:00)

and this :D

14. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-Talker

Jun 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the vids. Those are to of my favorite players too. I’ve recently found Jimmy Bruno great vids on his youbtube channel.

MrCairo likes this.