Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jazz songs I should know about?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by tschucha, Jun 20, 2017.

1. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Alright fellow strat lovers. An unusual request. I've lived over six long decades and have never listen to a complete jazz album. I grew up with Hendrix and Clapton and learned to love the blues later on. But jazz? Never really gave it a chance. I understand music more thoroughly now and I want to give jazz a try.

So - what's the very best Jazz album of all time. Don't care about which artists or instruments are on the album I want to hear something that will really move me.

I trust you guys. Give me the best Jazz album of all time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2017

2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    There is no best jazz album of all time... but a fine listening start would be Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    RichieS, 8T_BoCO, 2-Finger and 16 others like this.

3. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Perhaps you are right that there is no 'best' jazz album.

What I'm looking for is something that gives you the kind of hit in the face like you got when you first heard Are You Experienced or heard SRV tear into Texas Flood.

4. bluejazzoid

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Seriously, what you're asking is akin to trying to predict what flavor ice cream you will like best! I suggest you try as many flavors of jazz as possible... then keep coming back for more of what you really like.

Dare1, dante1963 and amstratnut like this.

5. conehead

conehead Strat-Talker

Apr 12, 2017
    way out there
    I unquestioningly buy anything with Tiny Grimes or Bill Jennings on guitar.
    Here are a couple of my favorites:

Tiny Webb is another favorite of mine:

davidKOS and Rasputin13 like this.

6. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    Scofield and McLaughlin were my jazz gateway drugs, have a listen to Sco's Still Warm. Or listen to a few versions of Goodbye, Porkpie Hat.

Here's a belting version

7. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

From a blues background, start with Grant Green and Kenny Burrell.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

9. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    IMO, it would be best for you to start with Miles Davis. I hated jazz until about three years ago. Then, one day, I heard Miles Davis and became quite intrigued. I realized he played the trumpet in a comparative sense to the way Jimi Hendrix played guitar. So, I splurged and bought Miles Davis Quintet 1965 - 68 box set (6 cd's). I took a day off and became immersed in the music. Jazz music is beautiful, wonderful, complex, and intricate.

Another side of jazz is electric. You may want to try John McLaughlin's Birds Of Fire. That'll take you on a real trip.

amstratnut likes this.

10. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    BINGO - That sentence is the winner. I wanna hear someone play their instrument like Jimi Hendrix played his.

Miles Davis is the most famous name in jazz and was where I originally gonna start but I figured I ask some of the people I respect musically online before I dug in. You described what I'm looking for.

gjohnson441496 likes this.

11. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Of course. But if someone had never tasted ice cream - you'd probably recommend chocolate. Every journey begins with a single step. Might as well make it a memorable one. There will be many flavors to come. From reading here and elsewhere my instincts were to start with Miles Davis and it would seem that this is the right way to start. Plus I've got a few cool scoops of other flavors right here on the videos on this thread :)

12. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    I'd dive right in: John Coltrane - A Love Supreme. It's emotional, it's fiery, it's fast, it leaves you both exhausted and exhilarated.

5103eTFY39L.jpg

13. Otisblove

Otisblove Strat-O-Master

May 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Medeski, Martin and Wood?

14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    This one is pretty cool.

nhsdpl, dogletnoir and FormerTeleGuy like this.

15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I'll second Kind of Blue. Miles went through quite a number of phases with his music. You want to hear some Hendrix influenced jazz, check out *****es Brew (the forum edits the title...I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with witches). That's at the complete opposite end of the jazz spectrum in Miles' career. It is considered the album that spawned the jazz fusion era of jazz. If you find fusion jazz trips your trigger, check out Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Return to Forever.

Coltrane later in his career was more avant garde. Some more accessible Coltrane would be Blue Train and Giant Steps.

Time Out from Dave Brubeck has some great tunes, including the much covered Take Five. I am also a fan of Bill Evans...Sunday at the Village Vanguard always stood out for me.

You know what all of these guys have in common? They all played with Miles Davis at some point (aside from Brubeck). It's amazing to look at how many jazzers played with Miles and went on and formed their own successful groups.

If you want to go a bit further back, check out Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker...that's some classic bebop jazz that will blow you away!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    dante1963 and amstratnut like this.

16. bluejazzoid

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    I would have suggested chocolate chip myself! :)

17. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

May 11, 2016
    Herndon VA
    Admin Post
    Miles Davis Kind of Blue. It's #1 on everybody's list of the best jazz albums of all time. CS

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Thelonius Monk was a genius on the piano.

2-Finger and FormerTeleGuy like this.

19. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    Didn't John Mayer do a jazz album?

:sneaky:

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

20. Rasputin13

Rasputin13 Strat-Talker

Jun 14, 2017
    Cleveland
    I second this. Blue Train is one of my all time favorite songs, period! Not just jazz, but all songs.