Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jazzmasters

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by stratman323, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 26, 2013
    So. Calif.
    I'd wouldn't mind swapping for a Staytrem, except it's just not cost effective in my case, which would be more than 1/2 of what I paid for the jazzy.

2. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Probably blasphemy to mention it but the Classic player versions have Gibson Tune-o-matics fitted.

Many JM players had retro fitted these, including J.Mascis of Dinosaur Jr so Fender obviously took a leaf out of their books.

Of course you can only raise the bridge at both ends although intonation is easy. That said Gibson players have always got on with them fine.

The trouble with the original JM's is that they are basically a flawed guitar that everybody is trying to fix. :whistling:

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK

4. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That may well be true Neil, but it seems to me to be pretty absurd that so many solutions to one "problem" (the bridge problem) create their own problem - string height adjustment. It ain't exactly rocket science to provide a fully adjustable bridge! I'm surprised that it's a compromise that's acceptable to so many people.

5. Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

Going back to basics, I think the main problem is the minimal neck angle on Fender JM's which doesn't give enough break angle at the bridge - hence the strings popping out.

That was OK in the old days of heavier strings but causes problems nowadays. A lot of JM owners would shim their necks to increase the neck angle at the bridge before these new fangled third party bridges were invented.

Again the neck angles are slightly increased on the CP models to stop string poppage.

Going by post #62, it looks like Curt has solved it!

6. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    My '66 still has two business-card shims in it even with the Mastery. It's just where everything balanced. It plays and sounds great now, so I'm not going to mess with it any further (except to track down an intermittent bad-ground buzz in the electronics... I think my 50-year-old rhythm-circuit switch is giving up the ghost, might be time to just drop in a complete new wiring harness and put the old one gently into a box, but I digress. Temperamental beasts, these old offsets.)

7. offsetter

offsetter Strat-Talker

Sep 6, 2015
    Australia
    Happy to help :)

8. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Surely it's not the neck angle which is a problem, it's the bridge break angle? Isn't the neck angle the same as on a Strat or a Tele?

9. Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    I think it is a combination of the minuscule neck angle and the long string section between the bridge and trem giving virtually no decent break angle at the bridge.

Many people think that long string distance after the bridge gives the JM its distinctive "overtones" but again on the CP models the trem is moved forward to counteract the effect and give a better angle.

Personally I think the normal JM's are full of flaws that people always seem to be trying to fix compared to the ease of a Strat/Tele.

IMO If you want a JM with modern playability go for a CP.

Hammer 4 likes this.

10. Hammer 4

Apr 26, 2013
    So. Calif.
    Seems like from the description of the CP jazzy, they solved the problems of the break angle via a new cut neck pocket. And the new Adjusto-Matic bridge looks like a way better design than the previous bridge. Gonna have to play one Thanks for all the info. Neil :D

11. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Strat-Talker

Nov 22, 2015
    Bristol
    +1 for the CP. I have one. intonation is easy due to the T-O-M bridge and even with the trem moved closer to the bridge you still get the overtones.
    My only problem with the CP is the "hot" pups. I have the neck pup set as low as it will go and the bridge a tiny bit higher just to get that jazzmaster sound.
    The trem is great though.

I really love mine but it deos have it's flaws. I would never gig with it without a backup like I would with my strats.

12. Hammer 4

Apr 26, 2013
    So. Calif.
    Can you describe the flaws you talk about..?

13. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Well, I'm glad you guys like the J- fenders!

I'll stick to the Tele and Strat...I just think they were better designs.

Neil.C likes this.

14. gingertimmins

Nov 22, 2015
    Bristol
    So the bridge has been mentioned.
    The biggest flaw for me is that the placement of two screws that attach the trem together are positioned under the wrap at the ball end of the E strings and can cause the string to unwrap so I go through a lot of strings. For ages I thought it was my bridge breaking them.
    A common work around is to remove the trem and put the screws in from the back- you never have to touch them- or to use a hacksaw to cut a groove in the screw.
    I haven't tried these things so can't comment as to whether they work but it shouldn't have to work, the design shouldn't be flawed.

After all is said and done, I do love mine!

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You say it's a "minuscule neck angle". But it's the same as a Strat & a Tele, isn't it? And if it is, that clearly isn't a problem, as we all know.

16. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Does this "new Adjusto-Matic bridge" allow individual string height adjustment? If it doesn't, it's a considerable step backwards as far as I'm concerned. Why would anyone want to give up that?

17. gingertimmins

Nov 22, 2015
    Bristol
    No, it doesn't. it's exactly the same as a Les Paul bridge so you just have the height adjuster at each end. Personally, I don't mind it.

18. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well that's how this discussion started - I had to dismiss "the obvious solution" of using a Mustang bridge as I couldn't get the action set anything close to how I wanted it because of the lack of height adjustment on the saddles. Which seems to me like a big oversight that takes us back in time.

19. offsetter

offsetter Strat-Talker

Sep 6, 2015
    Australia
    If you use flat wound 12s such as what came with my AV 65, and the Jazzmaster was designed with in mind...the standard bridge without a shim is fine. Lots of tweaks fix the bridge issue depending on your needs... Just like lots of tweaks fix problem X or problem Y with strat issues (like the many trem issues, needing to block it as an example). The reason we put up with it is the sound they make :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016