Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jazzmasters

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by stratman323, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    What I wrote in post #70 was:

It's the combination of the minuscule neck angle and long string section between the bridge and trem that gives insufficient break angle which causes the strings to ping out.

Both of those flaws have been addressed in the CP models by slightly increasing the neck angle (no shims needed) and slightly shortening the distance between the bridge and trem, again giving more string break angle.

Or you can stick to the original design and use bits of cardboard, clear nail varnish and a buzz (sound) stop as your guitar accessories.

2. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    @stratman323

did you ever decide on a new bridge for your jazzy?

I'm researching this subject for myself for a JM partscaster build and I've come across this thread, i'd be interested to hear which way you went after weighing up the options.

From my own research I think the point which may have been missed regarding the individually adjustable saddle type bridges, is that over time they adjust themselves. i've read that the "epic vibration" caused by the break angle / distance between bridge and string fastening along with the floating bridge trem action is what works the screws loose, and action reduces, over time.

I have a VM jag and have found this to be true- even strung with 11's. I've read about people using nail varnish etc on the screws to keep them where they are or even sourcing a vinage / rusty bridge to hold the screws where they are set!

So that's (from what I've read) why in the offset world, an individually adjustable action setting (using traditional methods of course IE not bushed fittings) can be seen as a disadvantage.

For my partscaster build I'm probably going to go go all J Mascis and try a T/A-O-M i think, as my body is a CP with the correct ferrules already fitted, but I am still open to options and would be interested in what direction you went in, even if it was to keep the original.

Cheers

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Hi. No, I haven't changed anything. I have considered trying a Buzz Stop as I can follow the logic of why it may improve things, but £30 seems a lot to fork out for what may be a small improvement, or possibly no improvement at all. Maybe one day, but maybe not.

As for the argument about the "problem" of having saddles with individual height adjustment, that sounds like nonsense to me. It's not a problem on Strats or Teles so I don't see why it should be on a JM. And even if it was a problem, the fixed string heights of a Mustang bridge are miles out compared to what I like - it would be so big a compromise as to make the guitar virtually unplayable. Saddles that aren't adjustable for height are nonsensical to a confirmed Strat/Tele lover like me. If I couldn't have adjustable saddles, I would probably just give up on the JM altogether.

My JM is strung with my usual gauge of 10-52 which I use on all electrics, & it all seems fine to me.

Dan_Q likes this.

4. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Incidentally, this a good reminder to ask a question about colour options on MIM JMs. I met up with an old friend I rarely see at the weekend, & he tells me he has an MIM JM in what sounds (from his description) like Candy Apple Red. I wasn't aware this color was ever offered, last time I checked the colour choice on the MIMs was very poor. Does anyone know if CAR was an option? And if so, when?

5. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    that's cool chap glad to know where you are with the vm :)

yep this is all from what i have read about not from personal experience- apparently the theory is that extra vibration from the not Tele and not strat design can cause the saddles to adjust themselves.

mine has done this but the guitar is very new and could be just bedding in ;-)

i plan to carry on with the original in my vm jag, and only try something else if it does become a re- occurring problem :)

good to hear yours has been stable- hoping for the same myself!

6. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    To be fair, my JM is an "occasional" guitar, it's not something that gets played hard every day. Maybe my opinions would be different if it did.

Dan_Q likes this.

7. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    i'll admit were in the same boat- my relationship with my jag is the same, i still pick up my tele 9/10 ;)

8. Oldtime

Oldtime Strat-Talk Member

Feb 5, 2016
    South Carolina
    I just picked up a JM and it was the Candy Apple Red. When I asked if this was the only color they had, he replied "in stock" but I can order another, from the way he talked I'm assuming it was a stock color.

9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    So it was a current Mexican model? The only ones on the Fender website seem to be sunburst & black - about the most boring options possible. And it was the same the last time I looked too.

10. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2013
    UK
    I knew the Jaguar came in CAR, but I haven't seen a MiM JM in that colour.

11. Oldtime

Feb 5, 2016
    South Carolina
    It's an Indonesian model. I really didn't think about the color at the time, I hadn't done any research. It was one of those, you're in the area, stop in. They have the guitars on the wall like GC, didn't see any JM's. Asked about Jazzmasters, they keep the Squiers on the second floor, I couldn't climb the steps, they're a chore for me so he brought one down. They had a nice little area with an amp, tuner and some picks, he left me alone for a while and I fiddled with the guitar. From his answer about color I didn't get the feeling they had any others in stock. I didn't even look at where it was made, I went over the guitar to make sure everything seemed right, no cracks, good action, decent hardware, those kind of things. It wasn't a great amp so sound wasn't going to be anything terrific and then gave them $299.

This is a strange store, they have no high end gear at all. We're in Myrtle Beach and when I asked about higher end equipment the answer was, this is Myrtle Beach a resort town. I don't think I'm a snob about having to have high end gear but once in a while I'd like to see what some of the better gear is and maybe pick one up if it scratches an itch.

12. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2013
    UK
    The Squier models all come in the choice of either CAR, Olympic White or Surf Green. I think Stratman was specifically talking about Mexican Fender models.

13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Exactly, I know about the Squier VM JMs, & they come in a great range of colours. It's the Fender Mexico models that I specifically asked about.

14. Oldtime

Feb 5, 2016
    South Carolina
    Sorry, didn't realize you were only asking about the MIM models.

15. Phat-O-Caster

Phat-O-Caster Strat-O-Master

Apr 16, 2008
    Colorado
    I finally broke down & ordered the pieces to put together a partsmaster as I could never find "the one" and the only ones that came close were five to seven thousand dollars. Should be an interesting build/assembly & set up in uncharted waters for me. Just have to wait 8-10 weeks on the custom neck from Warmoth. I should have the loaded body from Stratosphere this weekend and will be pulling the adjustomatic bridge thimbles and installing a Mastery bridge in preparation for the 7.25 radius neck.

16. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    As a proud owner of the greatest Jazzmaster ever built.. Never ever ever ever put a buzz stop. I went with a Mastery bridge which is fine but have a staytrem on my Jag and I feel like it works just as well and is half the money.

Gone back and forth on Jazzmasters.. Currently love mine.

Attached Files:

17. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    There are two other MIM Jazzmasters that are pretty rare. The road worn and the lacquer.. There have also been a couple FSR Classic Players in different colors. The Road Worn is my favorite of the MIMs and the relic job is nice.

But the only Jazzmaster really worth buying other than vintage or custom shop is the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster.

18. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Why?

19. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Again, why?

20. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Have you used a buzz stop? All it does it put some pressure on the bridge so your strings don't slip (if that's your initial problem)..

The pressure prohibits the bridge to function properly with the trem. Jazzmaster bridges are designed to move with the bridge the buzz stop gets in the way with that.

The biggest problem most state with the buzz stop is the tone. Part of the Jazzmaster chime is due to the distance of string behind the bridge. The buzz stop mutes that.

If you have someone that has Jazzmaster experience you can set it up very well without changing a thing. Most commonly a shim and using .11s will solve buzz and string slipping issues.

The Squier JMascis is a great guitar and nearly half the price of a CP with none of the bridge issues of the more expensive models. I've probably played 10 of them and they have all felt great. I've played a ton of AVRI offsets and they are rarely set up good to go, always seem like they need tweaking of some kind. The necks are great and not overly sticky and usually lighter weight. I understand people don't want a Squier but for whatever reason these JM JMs are really great guitars and if you haven't played one try one.

Also worth noting.. The Classic Player Jazzmasters don't in fact have "Jazzmaster" pickups, they are more like P90s.. Fender claims the JMascis Squier pickups are more like Jazzmaster pickups. I think the Lacquer and Roadworns have the same pickups as the AVRIs.. A lot of people buy the AVRI, upgrade the bridge AND the pickups.. Very spendy.

Obviously just my opinion but I have spent WAY TOO MANY hours in every possible forum and Facebook group and watched every YouTube video about jazzmasters.