Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jazzmasters

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by stratman323, Dec 6, 2015.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    No I haven't. I've read about them on here, & they do seem to be a logical solution to an obvious design fault, but I'm always happy to hear comments from those who are more familiar with JMs than I am. I'm not really a trem user so that doesn't bother me much, but if it impacts on the tone, that's probably not a good thing.

My JM is a Squier VM, & I have the action set up to my liking using the original bridge - the Mustang bridge is useless for me as it doesn't allow individual string height adjustment - a very strange omission. I don't have problems with buzz - I have the action on the bottom couple of strings higher than most people do to avoid buzz - as I do on Strats & Teles. I use 10-52s, & I'm not sure I want to move to 11s.

So there isn't an urgent problem to solve. I just wonder whether the string slipping may become a problem if I use the guitar at a gig, which is only a potential problem at the moment. I think maybe it's best if I wait until it becomes a problem that really annoys me.

As for the J. Mascis JM, I was warned off that a while back for several reasons. It has jumbo frets (I hate jumbo frets), it has a bridge with saddles that are not adjustable for height, I was told that the pickups are pretty hot (more like P90s), & I think I was told that the neck is quite fat. And I don't much like the look of it! So all those things together made me wonder why you said that it's "the only Jazzmaster really worth buying other than vintage or custom shop". Maybe for some people, but probably not for me.

So "moving up" from my Squier VM JM is tricky. I don't want the Mascis, I was warned off the Japanese ones as apparently the pickups are just Strat pickups in a JM sized casing. Which leaves me with the Mexican JMs, & now you have warned me off those because of the pickups! Which leaves me with the AVRIs. Since I like the necks on the AVRI Strats, it seems logical that I would like these, but they're rare & hard to find & very expensive, even on eBay. A white one sold a couple of months ago for £1100 & a blue one (with different bridge & pickups) just sold for £1500!

Which is why I have my Indonesian Squier. I would have no idea that it's Indonesian if I hadn't read the label on the back of the headstock, it's a nice guitar.

2. tatercaster

tatercaster Strat-Talker

Mar 5, 2016
    Rock Hill, SC
    It seems that a drop of blue Loctite on each of the adjustment screws would fix any vibration issues. Or you could use a locking roller bridge.

3. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles

I totally get it ! The chase for specs...

Can't argue about not liking the looks of something! The frets don't seem giant on the JMascis and your VM has medium jumbo so probably same or slight difference. The necks aren't fat at all, and have a really nice feeling finish. As far as the bridge, it's just like a les Paul bridge so couldn't you just raise the side you want higher?

Overall it's probably not much different than the one you've got now, I just consistently see guitarists playing them and raving about them! It's weird, but I've never heard a bad review of one. But if you don't like the looks and specs I get it.

Sounds like you like the one you have and haven't come across any supposed common issues so nothing is urgent, but I do get the tinkering and what ifs. I have a Johnny Marr Jag and it had .10s on it and the original bridge was very wrong in specs. It felt horrible all around. My friend bought me a stay trem bridge (the original is a cheap version of a stay trem), and I put .11s.. Both those things did the trick. After that I wondered what .11s would be like on the Jazzmaster.. (20+ years with .10s btw). The .11s just feel right on it. I can still bend all the strings as need be. I know it's not for everyone but if you want to tinker with something it's a pretty cheap experiment. Now I go back and for with .10s and .11s on my strat..

The AVRIs are expensive and people still spend more money changing bridge and pickups!

A common solution is the MIJ with upgraded Seymour Duncan Antiquities.. I guess finding one that has already been upgraded would be ideal.

There are a ton of pickup comparison videos on YouTube comparing all various models. There's one of some idiot who bought a stock vintage Jazzmaster, like a '63 or something and replaces the entire loaded pickguard with a newer one with Lollar pickups because one of the pots what noisey ! ! ! So insane to me.. But it's a good vintage vs modern sound comparison.

Look up the MIM Lacquer and Road Worns.. Some of the specs you like and some different color options. Both stock with the AVRI pickups.

Attached Files:

2-Finger and Seymour Duncan like this.

4. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Folk_Hogan and jimbobaby like this.

5. jimbobaby

jimbobaby Strat-Talker

Dec 14, 2010
    sydney
    I know this is post is from last year, but the scientist in me can't let this go. First of all, "ongoing holocaust"??? All the deaths that have occurred were due to the earthquake and tsunami. The biggest risk due to the radiation is a 1% increase in the prevalence of thyroid cancer in infant females in the immediate area. Buying guitars from Japan is quite safe. Even if you have a habit of licking your guitars.

6. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hello,

This is not the place or forum to further discuss this, though I'd really like to ! Just take 5-minutes & scroll through the headlines of "enenews". DO IT NOW !

Based on independent scientific research from the Chernobyl disaster, up to 400,000 people in Japan will die from this STILL ON-GOING NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST. There's now been a huge cancer spike in Japan, as predicted, after a 5-year period.

Also, Arnie Gundersen visited Japan for the 5-th anniversary since the disaster, & he said qt. "There's Plutonium everywhere...Everywhere you look you'll find it, black dust everywhere". This means Tokyo too...

You hear little of this monumental catastrophe since the Japan Government made it a State Law of Secrecy in 2012 / 13. This means you go to jail or worse, go to the plant & "try" to clean it up.

I also suggest you know very little about the Nuclear Industry & radiation, so you better start reading up about it & its effects, or it will be to yours & your families detriment.

Have a nice day,

Rastus

7. jimbobaby

jimbobaby Strat-Talker

Dec 14, 2010
    sydney
    I agree, this isn't the place. I'll just go as far as to say I just looked up enenews and remain unconvinced. I'd be interested in discussing it further tho, I'll PM you. I also agree that people should do their own research and make up their own minds.

8. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    No, I tried that with the Mustang bridge on my JM & it was like taking a step back in time to the days before anyone had invented individual height adjustment for saddles. I just couldn't get things the way I wanted them, which was ridiculous to me. I won't tolerate a bridge that takes away height adjustment because there is no good reason to do so.

I had a refinished '66 Jaguar for a while. Hated it! Was glad to get rid of it, short scale Fenders just don't sound like Fenders to me. But the JM does.

The MIJ JMs are tempting, but I suspect I may not like the necks. I've tried & owned MIJ '62 Strats & Teles, & there's a chunkiness to the necks that I really don't like, even though many people love them. I much prefer the necks on the MIM equivalents, so it's not just the pickups (which are easily changed) but concerns that the neck may not be right for me. But AVRI necks & the MIM equivalents are great.

Checking on the Fender website, I can't see any Road Worn JMs. But I really disliked the RW Strats so I doubt if I would like the JM equivalent. The MIM lacquer JM looks interesting, but I'm not prepared to suffer the immediate loss of value when buying a new guitar. I've done it in the past, but never again if there is any alternative.

So looks like my Squier will be my JM for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Correction, there is a RW JM on the Fender website, but it only comes in boring old sunburst. So that's out of the reckoning!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    If I saw a secondhand one I might be tempted. But not new, I don't buy new guitars any more. I'm actually not a big fan of surf green. I thought I liked the look of this model until a guy posted pics a few weeks ago of his Sonic Blue Tele, another pastel blue guitar & a lacquer JM. The green was just far too loud in comparison - not nearly as subtle as I had expected.

I know I'm fussy about colours on guitars!

Dan_Q likes this.

10. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    fair enough sir, nothing wrong with knowing what you like :)

to me the colour sits between the more "washed out" squier VM tones (my jag is SG) and a more prominent colour like seafoam.

I've seen them in the flesh, i'd love one! :cool:

Folk_Hogan likes this.

11. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I don't know why I have a problem with the pastel greens but I've never been drawn to them. Mind you there was a time when I wasn't keen on Sonic & Daphne & I've completely changed my mind about them, so who knows what I'll like in a few years time? For years I though that nothing could be better than LPB, now I'm not so sure.

Dan_Q likes this.

12. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I just buy whatever is cheapest and learn to love it !

13. Folk_Hogan

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I've got all kinds of crazy colors

Attached Files:

Fendereedo likes this.

14. optofonik

optofonik Strat-Talker

Dec 13, 2015
    Californiia
    This link may be of interest. I was surprised that, at the time of article, the Squire was the only affordable option for an accurate Jazzmaster example. I believe the Classic Series now includes an accurate example as well, unfortunately it's only available in one color.

http://menga.net/squier-vintage-modified-Jazzmaster-review

Something I've noticed in a lot of threads and articles on the web is that most people who buy Jazzmasters don't actually like them. What I mean by that is that they end up modifying them to the point that they no longer have the attributes that most people who do like Jazzmasters appreciate. I'm no expert but I think original spec Jazzmasters are not for folks who play more traditional styles of "rock" and blues. The Jazzmaster was, by definition, not created for either.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Yeah, the Squier VM is a model you really can't ignore if you want a JM.

16. 2-Finger

2-Finger Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2016
    Brussels, Belgium
    I recently sold a J MAscis JM, I can confirm that the neck is fantastic and not fat at all, it's actually on the thin side...

17. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Anyone seen an MIM Jazzmaster with covered humbuckers? I've searched google images for a half hour and not seen one. This popped up on my local CL but the seller got it this way himself and doesn't know if the pickups are stock. Called Fender with the S/N but the description just says "hot alnico humbuckers".

[​IMG]

18. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

its legit

Fender Standard Jazzmaster HH

could have the black top pickups in it, or maybe the original owner did what a lot of folks do and they took out the fender pickups and replaced them with a set up of gibsons or something.

download (1).png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

19. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm pretty sure I've seen JMs like that when going through eBay. Unfortunately, although I follow JM prices (as I may have one to sell soon) I tend to ignore JMs with humbuckers as I don't like humbuckers! But the guitar you've pictured looks familiar as I have always thought that covered humbuckers are more attractive.

Part of the Black Top range, perhaps?

20. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Just to add Lonn, those HH Blacktop models were cheaper than the normal types if you were thinking of putting in a bid.