Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jeff Beck tremolo - Convert to pop-in arm?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by riplead, Mar 12, 2018.

1. riplead

riplead Strat-Talk Member

Jul 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I like the Jeff Beck Strat a lot, especially the roller nut and locking tuners. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the screw-in tremolo arm. Would it be possible to convert it to a pop-in arm? I'm guessing I'd just have to get a different block with the arm, but I don't know if it would work or not.

Cheers,
    John

2. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-Talker

Jul 25, 2017
    ABQ
    What trem is on that model?

I have a pop in arm on a J-6 trem and it sucks. I can't get it to stop flopping.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    A good compromise is something like the Callaham "virtual pop-in" and block. It inserts partway, then screws down the remainder so that you can get the tension how you like it. I've tried shrink tube on the threaded end and plumber's tape on the threads, and they both quickly wear out and leave you where you were if you take the arm off to put away in its case. I've read horror stories about the spring, so never tried them.
    The Callaham block didn't really change the tone of my Roadhouse to any noticeable degree, but the arm and block did take all the slop out of the trem and give me something with a nice, precise feel that didn't need constant replacing.

5. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Sorry if this is obvious, but..

Have you tried using a spring under your trem arm?

099-4931-000 Genuine Fender Black Guitar Tremolo Arm Strat Tension Springs https://applink.reverb.com/item/356...lack-guitar-tremolo-arm-strat-tension-springs

6. riplead

Jul 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Yeah I tried using a spring. It's better but still not crazy about the feel compared to my pop-in arm on my other Strat.

7. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    If the guitar uses the standard Fender trem, then I think it should be fairly easy to swap it for the trem with the pop-in arm. A few years ago I had a partscaster built with a Warmoth body and Fender trem with the pop-in arm. I remember Warmoth's page having an option for the standard Fender trem routing, and it didn't mention a separate routing for the pop-in arm version. I had a guitar tech put it together, and it went together just fine.

8. riplead

Jul 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the suggestions.

9. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've heard people taking the cotton from a Q-tip and wrapping the threads. Lets it move out of the way when you're not using it but easy to grab when you want it.

10. Dunzie

Dunzie Strat-O-Master

Aug 31, 2013
    SW Ontario, CAN
    Strange... I have two JB Strats... one Artist Series JB, and one Custom Shop JB Signature. Both of them have the deluxe bridge with pop in trem arm. You're saying your JB Strat has the screw-in trem? At any rate, you can easily swap the bridge for the deluxe bridge with pop in arm. It isn't a hard swap.

11. riplead

Jul 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Actually it's my buddy's guitar. Was thinking about getting one but I prefer the pop-in arm. His does have the screw-in type.

12. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    What is it about the pop-in arm you like?

13. riplead

Jul 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I like the way it feels and how I can adjust the tension.

fezz parka likes this.