Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jensen mod vs. vintage reissue?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by HankPym, Nov 11, 2017.

Which set of speakers should I purchase?

1. Jensen mods in the 2x12!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Jensen reissues (C12Q) in the 2x12!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Mix and match (one of each in the 2x12)!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Keep the WGS (ET65) speakers, even though you have an ohm mismatch!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HankPym

HankPym Strat-Talk Member

Sep 11, 2017
    USA
    Hi all,

I recently picked up a local made, custom 2x12 cabinet. It currently houses 2 WGS speaker (16 ohms each) making it an 8 ohm cab. I am thinking about replacing the speakers with 2 8 ohm speakers to make it a 4 ohm cab (making my Fender Bassman happy). I have decided on getting Jensen speakers, as I have had good luck with them in most of my other amps in the past (including SF Fenders).

However, I am stuck as to which speakers to purchase and was hoping someone could chime in! The Jensen Mods are more transparent and have less high frequency response, whereas the vintage reissue Jensens have a higher frequency response. I would typically go with the vintage resissues, but since I have not played my Bassman through a proper 4 ohm cab, I am trying to avoid any icepick highs that I know some old Fenders have in certain cabs. According to the charts from Jensen's website, that is about the only difference between them (and they cost about the same).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

modvsc12q.JPG

2. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2016
    the Bozone
    I don't think I have ever heard icepick highs from an old bassman. I have always liked mismatched speakers in cabs. Whatever you choose give them a proper burn in before you decide what to keep. The highs really loosen up after some play time.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

It'll sound fine at 8 ohms. Save your money and play.

Tone Guru likes this.

4. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I️ built a solid wood 2x12 cab for my Bassman 100 and put two Eminence Legends in it. I️ wired it for 4 Ohms and imho it sounds great. Never had an issue with high end spike ever. It just keeps sounding better and better. Mine is a recapped 70’s and she purrs.

nuculer terrist likes this.

5. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    What’s up with the ? For the letter I ?