Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jimmie Vaughan?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by midwestfisherma, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:12 AM.

1. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for posting this. I was never really a big fan of his playing or tone, mostly because I wasn't into the T-Birds the way I was SRV back in the day and his more recent stuff is nails on a chalkboard to my ears. But his tone is monstrous here, and I went back and listened to Tuff Enough (the album) today. Man, he was on fire when his tone was on point. "True Love" is a clinic in great Strat tone.

The Powerful Stuff album to me is overprocessed 80s crap, but this live performance sounded fantastic. His playing on the album was fine, but there was just too much of that Elton John "Too Low for Zero" drum and synth tone going on for my taste. It sounds like everything that was wrong with the 80s (though having picked that album as my whipping boy, I have to say "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" is one of my all-time favorites).

midwestfisherma likes this.

2. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    My brother in law has a Leslie speaker. Now I'm thinking I need to go over to his house and beg him to let me plug a strat into it. :)

3. David Garner

P.S., anyone know what guitar he's playing there? Is that his 1958?

Internet searches reveal basically that he plays his signature model, but I did find an interview where he talked about buying his 1958 Strat in 1968 for $175. The problem is, I don't know which one that is, LOL.

4. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Strat-Talker

Jan 13, 2012
    Detroit, MI
    Jim, I have a Fulltone CS-MDV-1 laying around if you are interested... Send me a message on Facebook.

midwestfisherma and CigBurn like this.

5. craigh

craigh Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    US
    Come on, everyone knows tone is from the socks the player wears!

6. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Jimmie's sound in the T-Bird days was killer. He's always been my favorite Vaughan Brother. :)

stratnutz and (deleted member) like this.

7. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The 1958 is the beat up Olympic White one with the JLV mailbox stickers by the horn. He's playing it in that Tuff Enuff video.

That one is now locked away, and he has two white Tex-Mex Strats professionally reliced to look just like it.

David Garner likes this.

8. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    A chorus and some quack would get you in the ballpark. I might have to rethink my aversion to pedals.

9. David Garner

Thanks! Any idea which one that sunburst maple neck Strat in the original video is?

10. Willie D

I don't. And actually, I'm totally wrong. The white one is a '62. The 2TSB might be the '58.

David Garner likes this.

11. David Garner

It looks like a 58 ought to look. I say we roll with that :D

12. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Look What you've done now!...
    Been Totally hooked on it the whole day now! Can't stop listening to the T-Birds.

13. midwestfisherma

midwestfisherma Strat-O-Master

Nov 27, 2011
    MI

I found this today. Didn’t know about this album. 8 songs done live. It’s a little different and it’s great!

Yves likes this.

14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    I think the Vaughans blood type must be Strat ;0)

15. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Yeah, the white Strat is the '62 he was given by Clifford Antone - he replaced the neck & added a fake Fender decal! I'm sure most ST members wouldn't approve! I assume that the sunburst one is the '58.

He seemed to chop & change about which of those two was his favourite. I remember that around 1980/81 the sunburst was his favourite. Once he broke a string on that & switched to the white one as they began Full Time Lover. Jimmie was looking anxiously over to the side of the stage as they got close to the solo (which often lasted for 10 minutes), & just before the solo Jimmie's tech handed him the restrung & retuned sunburst Strat & he launched into the solo with total confidence that the guitar was in tune. The white one went back to being spare.

By the mid 80s it seemed that he had almost retired the sunburst one as the white one became his main guitar on gigs I saw in London. Around '84/'85 he showed up with a shiny new white Strat, which I assumed was one of the new US 57RIs. I never saw that guitar again - the next time he came over he had a couple of Robins, one ordinary 6 string & one double neck like the one he used on the version of Pipeline shot live with Stevie.

And after he left the T-Birds he started to use his signature models & never sounded as good again. o_O He also seemed to lose all his plectra....:oops: And the reverb knob off his amp too....

:(

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 5:53 AM
    David Garner likes this.

16. Willie D

No paternity test needed.

This young man's playing seems to embody many of the wonderful aspects of both his dad and his uncle, as well as some of their influences.

fattboyzz and David Garner like this.