Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

John Mayer itself goes through design of Silver Sky

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by gofmusic, Mar 17, 2018.

1. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Found it really interesting since everyone is talking about it. He explains sound aspects as well as shape design aspects. Nice of him to share such a deep view on his signature guitar.

Personally Id buy a fender before a SS, but... to each their own, and this guy is having his own...

2. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE Strat-Talk Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Las Vegas
    The guy is honest in his love of Fender and makes some valid points...backed up by some kicka$$ playing. Not every Fender is a gem...it remains to be seen if the ratio on PRS is better.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018

3. martynrss2

martynrss2 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2010
    Aberdeen
    I thoroughly enjoyed that. He was pretty honest about it, and was clearly very involved with the design, it clearly wasn’t just a marketing ploy.

I love seeing when a musician clearly shows a passion for his gear. Joe Bonamassa is another who I live hearing speak about guitars and amps.

TheDuck, LeicaBoss and gofmusic like this.

4. Jamie

Jamie Strat-O-Master

Jun 18, 2015
    Australia
    Is he playing left handed in this video ?

gofmusic likes this.

5. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Nope, its the front cell camera effect. Hes right handed.

Jamie likes this.

6. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    I truly regard John Mayer as one of the top guitar players we have around and he'd sound as convincing playing a Strat, or whatever axe you'd throw in his hands.
    The arguments he puts forward over the thought processes involved in designing his "Sylver sky" to me just sounds like a lot of fluff and I don't get the urge to grab one. I guess I may not be the targeted audience, but also wonder who is.
    Still, enjoyed watching this and listening to what he had to say.

gofmusic likes this.

7. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    jeez, what a player.

gofmusic likes this.

8. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    He kind of makes the most vocal and hateful critics of this guitar look small and petty.

It was a pretty charming, thoughtful and even a bit self-depricating take.

Knowing how well PRS guitars play, I wouldn't mind owning and playing one of these. The fact that it might piss off a grumpy purist is just a small side bonus.

CyFan4036, CigBurn, Polarbear and 7 others like this.

9. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    The world needs to learn to hold phones sideways when shooting vids. That and stupidity are my pet peeves. And mean people. And world hunger. And upside down PRS head stocks. And war. ...

1980 and gofmusic like this.

10. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I am genuinely curious about these guitars.

I'm a long time Mayer fan, damn that dude can play :thumb:

gofmusic likes this.

11. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    The stuff about the guitar is interesting. The offhand playing is absolutely sublime. From BB to Hendrix to Garcia and well into his own stuff - just a sitting and messing around with a guitar Tour de' Force...

-Ray

gofmusic and elliotj26 like this.

12. johntrem

johntrem Strat-Talker

After spending a good part of the weekend watching videos and reviews having to do with this guitar and reading countless comments it strikes me as fairly ridiculous how some (lots) in the guitar community treat guitars as though they (it) were a religion. I mean that in terms of what they find to be blasphemy or heresy.

gofmusic and RaySachs like this.

13. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    My favorite part is right at about 24:30 where he starts doing some bends to show that the neck radius doesn't matter much to him. He then proceeds to jam for a couple of minutes because he just can't help but enjoy that guitar. Hell of a player.

I will have to check this thing out in person.

gofmusic likes this.

14. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Instagram stories are generally oriented that way. It's just the format of the app.

That's where he originally posted the video.

gofmusic likes this.

15. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Ditto everyone above. The highlight of this video is his unreal playing.

gofmusic likes this.

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Gotta be able look at a guitar lea ning on the couch across the room and go, "yeah".

elliotj26 and gofmusic like this.

17. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    There are stupid people everywhere. Internet doesn't make a test before it lets you post a comment. :)

18. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

that was a good one!

he goes into the whole 2 year thing and actually explains it.

well done video on his part, of course he seems to know how to play a guitar :)

but I like the passion that is coming out in this and the honesty seems genuine too.

and lets face it. you know that look of joy? he has it.

gofmusic likes this.

19. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Sounds like a strat into a DR.

I dunno how seriously we can take the eq properties. Each peice of wood is different and its a production guitar.

Pickups is pickups. Id be interested to know how they got rid of those frquencies he didnt like?

Im not sure I buy all the headstock bs. Or the pickguard bs. I dont really care.

Great player.

fezz parka and gofmusic like this.

20. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    there are often discussions about how some feature of a guitar, particularly found on a vintage guitar, will simply no longer "work" for modern playing...

well... while this is a long video . . 40 minutes.... it IS John Mayer, and and a promo for a PRS guitar... But just maybe you can stand his playing :p till 22 minutes in . . then for about 5 minutes he rips one of the most prolific misconceptions about a feature more often found on vintage guitars, and touted as being a serious hinderance to modern styles... a "new" one...

only if you're curious enough..

enjoy,

rk