Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Johnson Strat

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by RegularJim, May 8, 2017.

1. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

May 8, 2017
    Winthrop Harbor, IL
    Hi folks!

Brand new to the group. Fairly new to the guitar scene in general (just a couple of years). I recently purchased a Johnson Strat copy. It came with a really nice case that I wanted for my new MIM Strat that didn't come with a case. I cleaned up the electronics, buffed it up, polished the frets, new strings and gave it a good setup. This is a great playing, nice sounding guitar! Even has "Johnson EMG" pickups (and the color of Strawberry Qwik)! After some searching I found out that this is a Johnson Del Mar JS-800 model, discontinued in the early 2000's, sold for $159.

Does anyone else out there have any experiences with this model, or with Johnson in general?

photo_1493745359971.jpg photo_1493745404902.jpg

vlxerdon and MuddyDitch like this.

2. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    I owned a few when starting out about 15 years ago. Pretty solid platform for modding but plenty good as is.

3. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    I love the johnson Del Mars. Its a really good full sized strat. Do you mind taking a pic of the neck/body joint at the 17th fret? I'm curious as to the fit of the neck pocket. I love the color too. It reminds me of like a hot coral pink.

4. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

May 8, 2017
    Winthrop Harbor, IL

It's a really nice fit.

IMG_20170508_120052393.jpg

5. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    Awesome thanks! Congrats on a cool guitar!

6. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

May 8, 2017
    Winthrop Harbor, IL
    I contacted the EMG pickup company and asked about the "Johnson EMG" pickups in this guitar. They replied that they are identical to their S1 pickups. I'm skeptical that there are $180 pickups in a $150 guitar, but they are pretty nice pickups.

Last edited: May 9, 2017

7. Virgman

Virgman Strat-O-Master

Nov 2, 2012
    Joisey
    Late to the party here.

I have owned several of these Del Mars and they are good guitars.

Well built. In my opinion they are/were among the best of the low end guitars.

I have one of the telecaster models and a Las Vegas (jazz type hollowbody) too.

AXLs are identical. Same company. AXL for the most part did away with the Johnson brand for their guitars. Johnson just never took off in a big way.

They were Chinese or Korean made and were early to whole Asian guitar thing. They suffered from the perceived poor reputation (often deserved) of Chinese guitars.

AXL also ghostbuilds some of the Squire strats and also some of the Classic Vibe Squires.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

8. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

May 8, 2017
    Winthrop Harbor, IL
    I've done some mods on this one. Obviously, I removed all the white and chrome, replaced it all with black.

I put in some Dragonfire "Phat" pickups, full size pots, and rewired the bridge pickup to the neck tone, so that the neck and bridge share a tone pot. Also, the black locking tuners, a black replacement bridge, and black roller string trees. Oh yeah, a Tusq nut too. It looks a lot better in person. Maybe if I could learn how to take a picture...

Capture.PNG

9. The-Kid

The-Kid Senior Stratmaster

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Just get a second hand Fender MIM neck....some duncans and you got a great strat.

Once bought a Johnson with a Seymour Duncan USA Hotrails in the bridge....not Duncan designed....Hotrails USA....

Great body...neck was alright....had an extra Squier neck MIK from a bullet...put it on tight perfect fit.

Great axe....only cost 100 bucks....got the MIK Bullet for 15 bucks.....the Johnson was 80$.

Great solid wood body and routing. Nice guitars....

Just change out the neck...Hell get a warmoth one but just just change the neck oit and your good.

Seymour Duncan likes this.

10. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

May 8, 2017
    Winthrop Harbor, IL
    I kind of like the neck. It's thick and straight, frets are level and shiny, pearloid dot markers, etc. The only reason I can see to change it is to make it look less like a Johnson and more like a Fender.