Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Josefina Strat pickups: worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by qblue, May 8, 2018.

1. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Yes @Ebidis .. I'd say you're right 'on the money'.. to coin a phrase.. ;)

2. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    I'm sure she for at least a decent salary increase for them to feature her name. If not she could just walk out the door and start her own boutique pickup company.

3. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Fraud? Give me a break. I certainly wouldn't pay $500 for these pickups, but the umbrage you're taking in this case is pretty over the top.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Ethics, fraud . . . cmon. It's just an overpriced product like Gucci or anything else.

5. LRS!

LRS! Strat-O-Master

Aug 27, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I understand very little of marketing, but apparently there’s a market for pickups with such prices. Fender is not the only one. If you want SD’s set of Joe Bonamassa humbuckers, you’re in the same price range.

6. Deviljho

Deviljho Strat-Talk Member

May 8, 2018
    Canada
    Exactly. If you want Wide Range Humbuckers, you're spending big money for a set that comes sorta-kinda close to the herald sound of the originals. There are plenty of boutique winders that make pickups just as decent as stock Fenders, that charge double the price. Fender has a marketing campaign behind a premier winder...they're gonna charge big money.

I'm really confused by all the surprise, lol. Is Strat-talk really like this? Guys, don't buy the pickups if you don't want them. ***** and moan all you want, but this literally is what Fender wants. Controversy creates contention, which leads to notoriety, which inevitably lends to $$$. I'm sure Fender will sell a boatload of these, and there will be plenty of people happy with the pups, mojo or nah.

Go to winners and get yourself a pack of 3 Tommy Hilfiger black tees for the lows. Or go to Capsule and wait in line for the latest collab apparel that they have for like 200 dollars more. Same function, different societal purpose. Move on.

Blackmore Fan likes this.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL

8. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-Talker

Jul 11, 2014
    Denver
    $500 is crazy! You can get some amazing pups for half that. There's a sucker born every minute.

CephasG likes this.

9. CephasG

CephasG Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    Marketing 101, but I have a better idea.
    Fender should say, no, you can't have them now but here is a waiting list you can get on. Make the waiting list at around 18+ months. This will create ebay/reverb market at 1K per set. Unlimited number of upper middle class bedroom players will start posting on forums how that's the TONE and that there is so much mojo in this set that it automatically makes you so expressive that you can't wait for the ordering email from Fender.
    Gee, I am thinking Gibson should have done that with some guitars.

Grux and Deviljho like this.

10. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-Talker

Jul 11, 2014
    Denver
    Hilarious! So true.

Ebidis and CephasG like this.

11. Deviljho

Deviljho Strat-Talk Member

May 8, 2018
    Canada
    Hahaha. I echo the same sentiments here over on that thread. :D

Hey, it's working for a few boutique winders/pedal makers atm...

CephasG likes this.

12. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Bingo.

I am sure they are fine Strat pickups.

But make no mistake, they are just pickups. It's marketing and trying to sell you a "status badge" platform.

Changing pickups in of itself is like gambling, you never really know what the end result will be 'till you wire them in and try.

If you put those in, at that price, your psycho-meter in your brain is probably going to tell you're ears that it sounds like angels strumming a golden harp. I would hope so anyway.

I think I can safely say that having $ 400.00 pickups in your guitar matters to no one but you.

GoldenEagle0308 and CephasG like this.

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Well...

Excuse us for having a discussion and expressing opinions about a guitar related product... on a guitar related forum.

;)

14. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    You might think so, but in my experience with corporate America, it is not the case. It's more likely, that she signed a non compete agreement when hired, so she can't start her own pickup company. Trust me, there is no end to corporate greed, and they will squeeze every last nickel they can.

That has been my experience anyway.

CyFan4036, Will Lefeurve and CephasG like this.

15. Henfield Strat

Henfield Strat Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2013
    West Sussex UK
    IMG_0066.JPG
    Ok, so I have some Josefina pickups in my cs. The guitar is fantastic, but that’s maybe a combination of factors more than just pickups. Worth a premium over the others, not so sure!

16. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Taking a 'pop' at me again Fuzzpop? Lets not get personal eh! Your reply to a post of mine the other day was loaded with sarcasm.

Maybe think about the context, and how I've used the word 'fraud' in my post. You're obviously working from a different angle than me.

As for my taking 'umbrage'.. you've obviously passed by my more humorous posts on the subject.. Three I think. Funny that.. I wonder why..

17. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've got two sets of Josefinas, HW '60's and '50's, mids not RW/RP, that came as original equipment in a CS '64 and a CS '57, respectively. Both sets are slightly underwound, which may be the simplest explanation for why I like them. I have no idea whether any other set would sound better or worse in either guitar, but for me, this is the way to own them, as OEM.

18. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I heard these are made in China...... ;)

JUST KIDDING!!! :) :) :)

19. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    You can take those pickups out of your CS Strat, sell them for $400 (a bargain) and put some regular old $150 pickups in the guitar, and have a tidy profit. ;)

20. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I have owned four of her signed sets in CS guitars.

Three were outstanding, and I would never consider changing them - in a '59, a '63, and a Postmodern.

The fourth were Ancho Poblanos, and they sounded lifeless to me over time.