Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Josefina Strat pickups: worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by qblue, May 8, 2018.

1. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    Clearly, I'm missing out on my fortune! I do live in the right area, so maybe I could get Justin Bieber to sign mine...........:D:D

Will Lefeurve likes this.

2. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Nah.. just say they've been in his trouser pockets.. sales will rocket... ;)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

3. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    I've got a set of hand wound Josefina Campos signed pickups i took out of CS guitar and replaced with SD SSL-2s. Anyone interested in buying them? I hear the going rate is $499! Get 'em before they're gone!

Grux likes this.

4. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I know... It's not that the thought never occurred to me... Other than the fact that these two guitars sound better than others I have A/B'd them against, what I was trying to suggest is that the signed handwounds originally installed in them make them that much more a part of Fender history-- Something somebody can appreciate one day after pulling the pickguards off the old guitars my wife sells out of the garage the day after I die.

Ebidis likes this.

5. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Oh well I have a set on the way... 50% off

bluejazzoid and ZlurkCorzDog like this.

6. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I didn't get personal. I was expressing my opinion that I think calling it fraud is over the top. I wouldn't read into it any more than that. I've agreed with plenty of your posts, just not this one and not the one you posted the other day. Are we not allowed to disagree anymore? If you'd rather I refrain from engaging with you, I'd be happy to stop. No harm, no foul.

7. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    My tacit assumption is that you will like them. The only set I have ever heard complaints about was the Ancho Poblanos, which are an acquired taste.

Paperback Rocker and Electgumbo like this.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    few have any idea what is involved in producing those pickups.. and while I to view it through jaded" eyes .. there's nothing wrong with Fender producing a "premium edition" product... the end results would the the determinative as to value, but I'm betting you give a poor guitarist a guitar with the pickups in it, and turn him loose, he's still gonna suck..

However there are people that will pay for a premium edition of a mediocre product at the drop of a hat... it's commerce...

Here's an idea, if you think you would benefit in any way from a set .. go getcha a set.. and if ya think it a load of BS, don't buy 'em.

Any arguments with that?

rk

9. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @Morgenholz
    Not sure I understand your post. But I do have confidence that I’ll like them.

10. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Lol! I think he's new here and . . . since he told us to "Move on", sounds like he heard that the Guitar Police position was open. :D

CyFan4036 and Ebidis like this.

11. bluesmanmartin

bluesmanmartin Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Practice room
    IMG_1416.JPG
    I guess I got me some Josephina’s.
    But they are the Ancho Pablano pickups and I would say they probably are an acquired taste. Apparently she oversaw the entire production of this guitar. So I’m looking at a collector here

12. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    Fair enough.

I'm not so sure ethics come into this at all and I'd be very surprised if the employee hasn't been compensated.

As far as fraud and piss take, I think everyone is entitled to make their own buying decisions regardless of how little or how much they spend. I'll speak for myself, I've never ever spent money on something I didn't need or want and believe it or not no one ever twisted my arm or held a gun to my head.

You know, as a fact that the 'named' product is no better than any other product they already produce? Or is it an opinion? Nothing wrong with opinions either.

Fuzzpop likes this.

13. Black Strat Guy

Black Strat Guy Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    [​IMG]

14. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    $499 is not outrageous for pickups in the grand scheme of things. So they're 2-3 times the price of other highly regarded pickups... What's the big deal? Take these two PRS guitars for instance. The top black one is a "10 top" and sells for $4500. The other comes form Korea and sells for $799. I've played enough of them to know that, TO ME, the 10 top isn't worth 5 times the import, but they sell a ton of them. Worth is relative and subjective, either get used to it or you're infor a lifetime of grief.

tfb5aii1shybsiyz5t1o.jpg 692fe07c468b5468b7dca37abe8c9a00.jpg

15. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida

"THE TICKET" used to be ACTING; now it's MARKETING. Yeah, THAT's the TICKET.

16. preh

preh New Member!

May 12, 2018
    London
    A while back I played my buddy's CS Proto Telecaster which was equipped with Josefina pickups. It was the best sounding Tele I'd ever played. They way I see it, if someone is going to pay $3000-$7000+ for a CS guitar the pups better be worth at least $500. IMO, on a solid body guitar the pickups are the most important contributing factor to tonal quality. Great pickups could make a plywood guitar sound good.

Stratoskater likes this.

17. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    As the OP of this thread, I want to say I really really like those Josefina's in any Strat body. They are simply the best sounding pickups and I'd rave about them. But I guess I think half a grand is just pushing my envelope of cheapness, when compared to my bottom line, which is light on means and ends.

I didn't think they were overpriced, but ridiculously overpriced, so I asked the question....I do still want them.... of course! Maybe for my first partscaster. I wish they would load a pickguard so I could A/B them on my current Strats.

18. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    FWIW, three of my strats have Josefina handwounds in them and they are three of my best-sounding guitars.

Paperback Rocker and Electgumbo like this.

19. tiredguy

tiredguy Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Have him drop spit into the wax that pots the pickups; but stand back first!

20. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I paid £500 for a set of pickups 12 years ago.

They came with the most expensive new guitar I've ever bought attached to them...