Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Josfina Hand-wound 65 Strat Pickups..any experiences ?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by nayoud, Nov 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM.

1. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    I'm looking at a masterbuilt strat with these pickups in it. Any experiences with them, I was told that they're somewhere between an early 60's strat tone and a 1969 set, a little mid scooped.

Any comments are welcome .....

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Look for the Greg Koch interview on Youtube. I have no personal experience with them but I'm sure lots of strat-talkers will be willing to give their opinions. Ultimately your ears and wallet will determine which pickups work for you.

abnormaltoy likes this.

3. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    Thanks ... there seems to be more than one incarnation of the 1965 strat pickup in the fender line over the years....apparently all slightly different ...will search for Greg's vid (attached after edit).
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 1:30 PM

4. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    I actually don't know why a master builder will call his strat a "1963" then put 65 pups in it ...

Will Lefeurve likes this.

5. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Simple.. he never quite 'mastered' numeracy.. ;):whistling:

vlxerdon and vid1900 like this.

6. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    In a market that's very vintage spec aware, it seems strange!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 1:36 PM

7. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Most custom shops are very far from vintage spec. The AVRI line is better for that.

henderman and nayoud like this.

8. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    And for what it's worth I have Josefina signed pickups in my CS '63, but they are just called '60s Stratocaster'. They are wonderful. And I also have her signed pickups in my CS '59. They are possibly my favorite pickups of all time.

But I also had some of hers from an Ancho Poblano CS Strat, and they were kind of dull sounding to me. They had a treble bleed on them, which I've heard people say saps tone, but I know nothing about whether that is true or not. A loaded pickguard from a 2017 Eric Johnson Strat brought that same guitar to life.

I have owned a lot of boutique pickups and a lot of Fender ones. In my opinion, the Josefina handwounds are the best of what I've played. I've never played Abbys, but I assume they are extremely similar to Josefina's, since Abby shared her methods with her.

Bladesg, Nate D and nayoud like this.

9. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    Thanks a million. This is really helpful. I’ve had Abby 1969s that I never bonded with, but I read you on the 59, my favorite to date is a David Allen 54/59, they were clear, rounded and the bridge isn’t harsh or thin.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 4:27 PM
    Paperback Rocker likes this.

10. aztecgold

aztecgold New Member!

Nov 8, 2017
    Australia
    I had a set in my 2014 '64 reissue L series relic (what a mouthful). Can't say I was over the moon about them so I swapped them out.

nayoud likes this.

11. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I’ve got the same 60’s Strat pickups handwound by Josephina and they’re amazing. Lots of depth and responsiveness in those pickups. I’m sure the ‘65 pickups are great. :)

Paperback Rocker and nayoud like this.

12. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    Thanks for your comments
    I'm quite suspicious of them (the 1965's), so I can relate to what aztecgold said... I never liked the 69's.... but I've heard good things about the 60's strat pickups ... they seem to be in the league of a 59 as well...

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm skeptical. It seems like a lot of marketing hype. I had a set of signed "Abby" CS '69s once, and they didn't seem any more special than any other decent vintage spec pickups.

Murphcaster and Textele like this.

14. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Me too, skeptical.

Very.

In my opinion, assigning dates to pickups is just marketing lingo. Original 1950's and 60's Fender pickups all sounded different, the tools and winding was much less refined for consistency back then. And the originals still around today, sound different now, to when they were new.

Not saying any of them are bad pickups either.

A good sounding pickup is a good sounding pickup.

And even the phrase "good sounding pickup" is so subjective that it comes down the those weird shaped holes on the side of our head and how we determine what each of us want and/or are able to hear.

And we all hear things different.

And we all have different amps and effects.

And we all play in different size rooms.

And we all have different, Stratocasters, because there are no two Strats that are exactly alike. Even though they all pretty much sound like a Strat style guitar should sound like, in the broad strokes.

And I dare anyone to take a blind test with a few, lets say three of each year, original 1965 and 1969 Strats and tell with any kind of quantifiable evidence and accuracy which ones are from 1965 and which ones are the 1969's.

It's all a huge load of Bovine Seepage IMO.

Or just maybe, reading too many of Ron Kirn's posts has infected me with some kind of reality disease. :(

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 5:30 AM

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Not to mention that Leo bought whatever magnets and wire the suppliers had in stock at the moment, and dumped them in bins from which the employees would grab random parts and make pickups.

There is great variation, and there was no specific formula for different years. It's not like they had a meeting every January and said "ok, we are gonna make pickups this way this year". They just made pickups with the parts and supplies they had on hand, to a general design spec.

So I agree. It's a lot of marketing Bovine Squeeze.

henderman and Textele like this.

16. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    I did too, never warmed to them and I swapped them out Abigail or not, they sounded too thin for me.

I can understand the marketing hype comment, in the end, its a business..... but regardless of the actual pickup sound back in the day, today when we say 50's we mean A5 glassy quacky sounds, and when 60's is used, you have the more flat or rounded A3/A2 tone in mind...or at least that's how the boards made me believe ....that may not be true of the real vintage pups, however.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's, but when I started playing guitar I played 70's strats ....that might have distorted my tasted a bit :cool:

I tried countless boutique pup manufacturers and I really warmed to David Allens 54/59 (not produced anymore). They were a mixture of A5 and A3.... 54 glassy tones and the more rounded 59/60's alleged tone.

I'm not sure I'll like the hybrid between early 60's rounded tone and the mid scooped tone of the late 60's (referring to the custom shop 69's), But the deal is good on this MB guitar ...

what other pickups do you recommend (all comments welcome)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM

17. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    This is the frustrating thing about forums, the internet, and opinions.

The people who have experience with the items in question are not believed.

If there's no difference in pickups, and it's all just marketing hype - I ask those people what pickups they have in their guitars, and why don't they rip them out and get the absolute cheapest ones available?

Here's my thought on Fender pickups vs. boutique and others.

Who started making Fender guitars and pickups? How long have they been doing it? Do you think they don't know what they are doing? I went down the boutique rabbit hole and emerged with the opinion that Fender makes the best Stratocaster pickups, at least in their higher quality lines, be they in an EJ Strat or a Custom Shop or an AVRI. An inexpensive set of 57/62s sound like what a Strat should sound like, too, as do the Pure Vintage line.

Watch the video of Abby and Josefina and see if you think they are just slapping crap together willy-nilly with no concern and it's all just hype.

18. nayoud

nayoud Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bethesda-MD
    Paperback Rocker

I agree with you wholeheartedly that there are marked differences in the pickups, at least I'm firmly convinced with that ... but I disagree somewhat on fender being the best pickup makers all the time, at least I didn't like some of them (SCN's and abby's custom shop 69's although they were stock custom shop pups). Fender is a business and they want to make a profit, and rightly so. The boutique winders won't be able to survive if they didn't produce an upgrade and find a niche in the market, the same goes for Gibson. I really like the fat 50's BTW, so I'm not dissing fender at all.

What I can agree on is that assigning specific dates to pickup tone is inaccurate, the big guitar manufacturers used whatever they could find and changes in pickup design happened over longer periods than just one year. Sure there are general differences between a 50's and 60's and a late 60's pickups, but between a 61 and 62? well....I don't think that any differences were intended.

So was the ancho poblano dull in nature or was it only the treble bleed to blame? These pups are everywhere now !

Cheers folks ...

19. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I think there is a difference in pickups. They all sound different from one another. I was just saying that there does not seem to be any great difference between signed pickups and other good quality Fender made pickups, or good quality pickups from other manufacturers. They are all good.

I never said cheap no name pickups were just as good.

20. aztecgold

aztecgold New Member!

Nov 8, 2017
    Australia
    Well, the whole replacement pickup thing has been going on for decades. It's an industry now.

With Strat's for instance, in the mid to late 70's we were pulling out our old Strat pickups and shoving SDS1's in (with a bit of chisel work underneath). Sad but true.

nayoud likes this.